MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Smell when starting AC (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/453553-smell-when-starting-ac.html)

GA350 06-27-2012 06:41 PM

Smell when starting AC

I have noticed a very bad or mushy smell when I start my car with A/C off( after I have shut the car for sometime and the AC was running when i shut the car).
This gets better in 10-15 seconds after I turn the AC on. The smell is a very strong smell of moisture with stangnant air....
Does anyone have the same experience?
I am worried as it might be a problem with my cabin air filter.
My car is only 3000miles on it.
Thanks

demolisher 06-27-2012 09:34 PM

Had the same problem on a c230. Turned out to be a bad cabin filter....

GA350 06-28-2012 07:34 AM

Did the problem started so early? I mean I barely have 3000 miles on it....

Shrdlu 06-28-2012 10:58 AM

There may be some mold growing in the humid environment of the A/C chamber--this was quite common in European cars in past years. Auto parts stores carry aerosol cans of a disinfectant that you spray into the A/C intake. Your dealer would probably do the same thing, at least for the first try at fixing the problem.

dougiebear 06-28-2012 12:01 PM

All cars do this to varying degrees. Its mold od sort. Have to open windows once in a while and drive with recirc off. That usually helps. Older cars cabin filter most likely. But its the venting that is most often the problem.

AJGLK 06-28-2012 01:35 PM

My GLK has this problem and I was worried that the New ML has it considering that I am considering to trade for it. I have replaced the Cabin filter several times to know that the mold is in the actual AC ducts not only the filter. Spraying disinfectant into the A/C intake will temporary fix the issue. I am yet to find a permanent fix.

shortspark 06-28-2012 01:57 PM

Could it have anything to do with where the air conditioning condensation goes? I ask because I looked under the car the other day and there was no condensation dripping down. I asked this same question at another forum where other ML owners noticed the same thing but no one has come up with an answer. If the condensation is not dripping out of the car where does it go? And if it indeed "goes" somewhere, maybe that tank or whatever it is might be starting to smell. I've only had my ML350 a month but it has been hot here in Texas and the air has been on every time I've driven it since the day I brought it home. It does a great job of cooling but I still can't figure out where the condensation is going.

GA350 06-28-2012 04:23 PM

It's a great point as I have not seen the condensation going out anywhere . It well may be the tank that gets mold and smells bad ... I sure will get to service soon

300DTurbo 06-28-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by GA350 (Post 5259291)
I have noticed a very bad or mushy smell when I start my car with A/C off( after I have shut the car for sometime and the AC was running when i shut the car).
This gets better in 10-15 seconds after I turn the AC on. The smell is a very strong smell of moisture with stangnant air....
Thanks

That's the MB signature smell. All MB's have it, even my 300D has it! ML with 5k miles has it... Even my neighbor's AMG S63 has it. Certain people notice it differently. I find it some-what comforting.

NickTH 06-28-2012 04:36 PM

My wife just came back from the dealer & asked about the exact same question. They said all European/German cars have the same problem & that's it's "normal".

Guess it's the Euro stink...

shortspark 06-28-2012 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by GA350 (Post 5260677)
It's a great point as I have not seen the condensation going out anywhere . It well may be the tank that gets mold and smells bad ... I sure will get to service soon

Yes, please let us know what the M-B service department tells you as to where that condensation is going. As I said a couple posts ago, I do not notice it dripping down out of the car at stand still but I have not yet notice the smell you are talking about. My fear is that I will - eventually.

dgiturbo 06-28-2012 05:06 PM

There are several TSB's on bad smell on the "older" ML's and several other MB models. I am thinking that these new ones are following the same path? Usually fixed by taking apart some part of the dash near the AC system and cleaning and spraying the area with their special MB spray.

300DTurbo 06-28-2012 05:57 PM

"special MB spray" to get rid of the "special MB smell"

smoke and mirrors

frtdog 06-28-2012 07:09 PM

Of the 5 MB's I've owned only 2 of them did it. I too have heard the old "they all do it" reply but when I dug deeper the bottom line was (on my 06 ML) there was some kind of cleaning that they did in the air conditioner innards, sorry I can't be more specific, and then I was told another fix was replacing either the condenser or the evaporator, again this was last summer and I don't remember which. The latter was a all day big buck job and I was told the extended warranty would not cover it. I have an old 89 Chevy P/U with air and it has never stinked. One would think that this would not be a problem with a quality vehicle like a M-B.

katiesdad7 06-29-2012 04:26 PM

MB standard answer = its normal.

frtdog 06-30-2012 02:25 PM

Just curious, do any of you have or know someone who has an S-Class and if so does the A/C smell?

300DTurbo 07-01-2012 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by frtdog (Post 5263073)
Just curious, do any of you have or know someone who has an S-Class and if so does the A/C smell?

Originally Posted by 300DTurbo (Post 5260685)
That's the MB signature smell. All MB's have it, even my 300D has it! ML with 5k miles has it... Even my neighbor's AMG S63 has it. Certain people notice it differently. I find it some-what comforting.

the MB smell is analogous to cigar smoke, some people hate it; other's find it comforting.

jtorrebl 07-01-2012 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by shortspark (Post 5260475)
Could it have anything to do with where the air conditioning condensation goes? I ask because I looked under the car the other day and there was no condensation dripping down. I asked this same question at another forum where other ML owners noticed the same thing but no one has come up with an answer. If the condensation is not dripping out of the car where does it go? And if it indeed "goes" somewhere, maybe that tank or whatever it is might be starting to smell. I've only had my ML350 a month but it has been hot here in Texas and the air has been on every time I've driven it since the day I brought it home. It does a great job of cooling but I still can't figure out where the condensation is going.

I've seen condensation leak on our driveway

GregW / Oregon 07-02-2012 05:09 AM

Try to run the system with a/c off for a few minutes each time before shutting down for extended periods.

GA350 07-02-2012 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jtorrebl (Post 5263571)
I've seen condensation leak on our driveway

Is it on a 2012 ML 350?

shortspark 07-02-2012 09:33 PM

Here is what some one recently posted at another site:

"I contacted M-B customer care to see what kind of an answer I'd get. Here it is...

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz, USA LLC.

This is normal on your 2012 ML 350.

Sincerely,

Francine AC.
Case Manager
Mercedes-Benz, USA LLC."

dgiturbo 07-03-2012 06:52 AM

So what do they tell the other 2012 ML owners who do see the condensation dripping?:rolf:

shortspark 07-03-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dgiturbo (Post 5266443)
So what do they tell the other 2012 ML owners who do see the condensation dripping?:rolf:

Good question. I will have to call service myself because I want to know where the condensation is going. Do they have some kind of super compressor on these cars that vaporizes the liquid? Every car in the fifty years I've been driving has to cool by compressor, which by its nature must leave a liquid by-product. I want to know where that by-product goes.

GA350 07-03-2012 08:39 AM

I got the same question...where is the water going???

Car drvr 07-03-2012 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by GA350 (Post 5259291)
Thanks

That smell is NOT "normal" for such a new car. There's definitely something wrong with it. Go to a dealer and force them to check your AC system - the cabin air filter might be damaged or improperly installed, the condensate drain might also be clogged or improperly installed at factory or damaged by something else, etc.