MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Performance chip for the Bluetec (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/456647-performance-chip-bluetec.html)

navi601 07-20-2012 01:19 AM

Performance chip for the Bluetec

Hi everyone, I've just got myself a new 2012 ml350 bluetec. Did a bit research online and found this:

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...83&language=en

Have anyone tried this? Does it actually work?

Morro 07-20-2012 02:14 PM

Looks pretty good. For 129 euros, i'll try it out.

iankayem 07-20-2012 11:55 PM

Sounds brilliant. How easy is it today to get nearly a 20% power boost for only $200.

I remeber tossing up whether to pay an extra $6500 for the ML350 over the ML300. For that money you got 15% power gain and a badge.

In the unlikely case of the chip having some drawback, you could toss it in the bin and barely have to shed a tear!

300DTurbo 07-21-2012 08:25 PM

This looks like a good way to destroy your engine.
As it is MB has squeezed every drop out of the diesel.

Shrdlu 07-21-2012 10:05 PM

And a good way to destroy your warranty.

Morro 07-22-2012 11:31 AM

I've chipped every car I've owned so far with no issues at all. As for warranty, this specific one is removable therefore undetectable.

Every car that is made has some reserves left in the engine, diesel or gas. You'd be surprised just how much is left on the table with stock engines.

So I don't think there will any issues with this tune and the price is low enough to test it out.

katiesdad7 07-22-2012 12:21 PM

I am pleased with the performance out of the box and will skip the chip.

dougiebear 07-22-2012 03:30 PM

The website says you also have fuel economy gains up to 1ltr less fuel used.
Has anyone seen this happen?

rexgold 07-22-2012 06:15 PM

Also remember, MB sell the Brabus kit to do this as well so it is pretty safe...

DNB 07-22-2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Morro (Post 5292147)
I've chipped every car I've owned so far with no issues at all. As for warranty, this specific one is removable therefore undetectable.

Every car that is made has some reserves left in the engine, diesel or gas. You'd be surprised just how much is left on the table with stock engines.

So I don't think there will any issues with this tune and the price is low enough to test it out.

+1.....all engines come out of the factory with a safe tune, to cover weather variances, Fuel RON Levels etc.

iankayem 07-22-2012 09:36 PM

When I googled the Racechip, I did find some comments about problems with the DPF on Hyundais. Could this also be a problem with Mercedes?

navi601 07-23-2012 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Morro (Post 5290182)
Looks pretty good. For 129 euros, i'll try it out.

Please let me know if it actually works! I would like the order the racechip Pro (229 euros). I know Kleemann makes a KD-box for the W164 engine. Do they also make a KD-box for the W166 engine as well? I've read many good reviews about them.

hubert 07-24-2012 02:26 AM

If anybody is interested in the Racechip shot me an email to benzofour30@aol.com I have one for sale. In box with instructions...

listerone 07-24-2012 11:44 AM

I wouldn't touch this chip while the car's still under warranty.And given that I'm in this one for the long haul (unless I win the lottery,that is) I'd be reluctant to try it even after the warranty's expiration.

hubert 07-28-2012 03:05 AM

It was installed on a 2011 E350 bluetec that my cousin owned and no problems for a year and a half, no lights coming on or any kind of problems at all just the couple extra HP it gives and he said there was an improvement in MPG. Please don't jump to conclusions if you did not have it or try it. In Europe it's a very know company and they come with good reputation. I dont want to screw nobody here but like I said he had no problems at all when the chip was installed o his E bluetec . It installs in 10 minutes or less.

Originally Posted by listerone (Post 5294854)
I wouldn't touch this chip while the car's still under warranty.And given that I'm in this one for the long haul (unless I win the lottery,that is) I'd be reluctant to try it even after the warranty's expiration.

Shrdlu 07-28-2012 09:03 AM

Is it possible that MB could detect an aftermarket chip, even if the original has been reinstalled? I don't know but . . .

Prior to my ML350, I owned GM HD diesel pickups for 10 years, and it seemed like half the discussions on those forums was how to defeat the emissions control system and "chip" the engine--until 2012. Now, GM is able to detect whether the engine has ever been chipped or whether an aftermarket tune has ever been loaded into the existing ECM and later removed.

I had an expensive warranty issue involving a faulty transfer case on a 2012 pickup, and the service order write-up noted that the dealer had run a software routine to see if the RPM limit had ever been exceeded or the engine management software had ever been altered.

If GM can do it, can MB be far behind?

Morro 07-29-2012 04:02 PM

That's the beauty of this...it doesn't touch the ECU at all.

NJProTech 07-29-2012 09:21 PM

There is a procedure the dealers use to locate tuning devices. Why risk your warranty on a brand new Mercedes. ????

Morro 07-30-2012 08:44 AM

There's no risk. It's removeable. Take it out before going to the dealer.
You guys should read the posts, it's all in there.

dougiebear 07-30-2012 10:00 AM

I think your not reading the posts. At least 2 have said that with the lastest electronics it records that a change was made to factory settings. There are no magic wands here everything has a price. If no warranty issue arises good deal if it does u have problems. Worth it? Maybe

Morro 07-30-2012 10:07 AM

I think you're not reading about the product.
Any changes are handled by the box itself. What the ECU does is totally independent.
It does no re-mapping at all of the ECU therefore not detectable.
If MB does see some changes they have to prove it was tuned and with the tuning box gone...they have no proof.

Bite me!

Shrdlu 07-30-2012 10:40 AM

I viewed the installation video, and the "chip" is indeed an add-on module rather than a replacement. And if MB refused to warranty a repair, the dealer would have to prove that the module was a direct cause of the problem. Presumably, this would be difficult if the module were removed beforehand.

I would worry, though, about any data-logging process in the factory ECU that would flag something that a dealer could read out, much like a trouble code. But we don't know whether or not MB has that capability.

dougiebear 07-30-2012 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shrdlu (Post 5302251)
I viewed the installation video, and the "chip" is indeed an add-on module rather than a replacement. And if MB refused to warranty a repair, the dealer would have to prove that the module was a direct cause of the problem. Presumably, this would be difficult if the module were removed beforehand.

I would worry, though, about any data-logging process in the factory ECU that would flag something that a dealer could read out, much like a trouble code. But we don't know whether or not MB has that capability.

Thank You
I'm near certain that as soon as the plug were pulled a code would fire.
Its a Mercedes they don't do ANYTHING if they dont get a code.
So feel free to use anything you choose. Believe me I would like to use something that improves mileage but like power its not much gain to possibly void warranty.
Always found Floridians to be brighter then my northeastern countryman.
Did you know Newfieland borders Quebec? :D
:cheers:

Shrdlu 07-30-2012 06:36 PM

I doubt whether the average MB dealer would check unless challenged by the factory over a warranty claim. BMW dealers, more likely yes, because companies like Dinan offer a range of performance chips and Bimmer owners tend to be more performance oriented.

End of relevant discussion.

---

"One more thing. I'm not no joke, Quoyle. And I don't never want to hear jokes about Newfoundland or Newfoundlanders. Keep it in mind. I hates a Newfie joke."

The Shipping News

dougiebear 07-30-2012 08:37 PM

:o)hahahahaha NP