M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Does Keyless Go automatically change your seat/steering wheel settings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Question Does Keyless Go automatically change your seat/steering wheel settings?

I always assume that these smart keys would automatically change your seat and steering wheel settings according to which key is used (e.g. between me and my wife). My Keyless Go does not seem to do that.

So does Keyless Go have this feature or not?
Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML550
Nope, it doesn't.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Just imagine, a big fellow grabs his little wifes key by mistake, sits in the drivers seat and pushes the go button. The seat then skewers him against the steering wheel.

Jeep had this system once, very bad!

We have the steering auto revert from the easy access position, and then a simple push betton to adjust the seat to any of three memory positions - not at all hard to do.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by iankayem
Just imagine, a big fellow grabs his little wifes key by mistake, sits in the drivers seat and pushes the go button. The seat then skewers him against the steering wheel.
Jeep had this system once, very bad!

We have the steering auto revert from the easy access position, and then a simple push betton to adjust the seat to any of three memory positions - not at all hard to do.
On my BMW, the settings adjust when you unlock the car so there is really no danger. You can also just touch a button once and not have to hold it like on the Merc. Too many lawyers, I guess.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GTscrub
Nope, it doesn't.
Thank you for confirming my suspicion.
This is most disappointing. You would have thought they called it a "Smart Key" for a reason.... no?

Originally Posted by iankayem
Not at all hard to do? Sure. But inconvenient nonetheless, especially when you have to hold the memory button all the way. In my BMW, the seat starts moving when I grab the door handle, and all the adjustment is done by the time I sit down.

And it is not just the seat and steering wheel, BMW would also memorize and change the climate control settings and last played audio mode; and each key has its own radio presets and seat memories. You can save all these "profile settings" for each key to an USB flash drive for backup or transfer purpose.

I think this is one area that Mercedes can improve to catch up with its competitor.

This would not happen in a BMW as the seat starts moving when you grab the door handle to open the door. So that "big fellow" won't be able to sit down at all unless he change the seat settings - and the proper way in this situation (apart from getting his own key) is to change the "profile" settings to his rather than seat memories.

Last edited by nosnoop; 10-28-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by nosnoop
I always assume that these smart keys would automatically change your seat and steering wheel settings according to which key is used (e.g. between me and my wife). My Keyless Go does not seem to do that.

So does Keyless Go have this feature or not?
no dice, one of my gripes as well.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM

2013 ML350
No, no... MB is not that stupid. It's all about safety issues. Think about this. What if you have "one click" seat position changes, and what if it happens during driving for some reasons (lets say circuit is broken), then what?
Yes! The accident!
Thats why MB does not want to make one click position chang option and you have to hold it by yourself.
MB always does care of the safety!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM

'15 GL350 Bluetec
Actually, M-B had that feature. To this day, their keys are color coded to ensure you don't grab the incorrect one (even though it no longer matters). Take a look at your keys. Look closely at the little slide that releases the mechanical (valet) key. One is black, the other is grey. Back when M-B used to actually innovate and care about what their customers wanted the keys were indeed smart. The seat and mirror settings were coded to the key. So instead of 3 memory positions, you actually had 6. I read an interview with an M-B executive in which he said they removed the feature because too many idiots (my word, not his) grabbed the wrong key and complained that the memory didn't work properly. So, it would appear M-B prefers to reduce things to the lowest common denominator. I can't say that I have heard of any suits vs. BMW or Lexus over this feature. If I sound bitter, I guess I am - M-B just doesn't seem to get it anymore.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:06 PM

2015 S 63 AMG 4Matic
Originally Posted by 300DTurbo
no dice, one of my gripes as well.
+1

What's ridiculous is that my $125k+ ML63 doesn't have this. My 2006 BMW 330i had this feature and my 2012 AMG doesn't have it - it's just wrong. Even in my 2009 Jag XFR, I can press and release the memory button and it will recall my settings. It is very inconvenient that I have to press and hold the button to get the desired setting. I would have gladly signed a waiver at delivery to indemnify MB just to have this feature.

Last edited by JAN8OR; 10-31-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Not to beat a dead horse but can I chime in here as well? That's one of the features I muss from our MDX. No, it didn't have push button start and I had to physically press the button on the fob to unlock it. However, Key 1 & key 2 each stored settings for seat position, steering wheel, audio presets, & climate. Note though that the seat didn't start moving until you opened the driver's door. So it was possible, and happened a few times,for you to get in and have the seat still moving closer to the wheel. When parked, press and release the memory 1 or 2 button to adjust the seat & mirrors. While driving, you would have to hold the button to continue adjustment.