M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2013 ML 350BT - about to order

Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
AVB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
2013 ML 350BT - about to order

Greetings everyone,

About to place an order for a ML350 BlueTec, replacing a 2010 GLK. Could wait till 2014s are out - is here anything major that I will be missing, based on preliminary info?

This will be my daily driver + tow vehicle for a 5000lb Lance 2285 Travel Trailer (using Equalizer E2 hitch). That should work just fine with the factory hitch, well below the max towing weight

Hope to also have a chance for some mild trails and and sand dunes, but the On/Off-Road Package is not available with diesel, so no undercarriage protection.... are there 3rd party options for the same? Anyone takes ML350BT off-road and can share how well it does?

A minor concern I have is ability to play iPhone / iPad sound through the Bluetooth interface. My GLK can not do that and its a major pain - can someone please confirm MB made it work for current models?

Lastly - here is the options list I plan for - please let me know if you would advise some changes. Specifically not getting any active driver assist features - don't trust any car quite that much yet.

ML350 BlueTec SUV - Steel Grey Metallic / Black MB-Tex
+ Lighting Package
+ Trailer Hitch
+ Brushed aluminum running board
+ Heated Steering wheel <-- not sure why I am getting this, drop ?
+ Premium 1 Package
+ harman/kardon sound system
+ Lane Tracking Package
+ 3 years pre-paid service

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 PM

ml350 bluetec
There is a 360degree camera that is supposed to come out in May 2013
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Alex,

let me know if you need pricing options and quotes. Maybe I can save you some money?

4 years of prepaid maintenance is the way to go as well. The 4th maintenance is the most expensive service, and is worth the extra $1000 for prepaid from 30k to 40k. And curious, what is your dealer quoting you on the 30k PPM?

btw, the heated steering wheel is amazing. Unless you live down south, or like the wood/leather combo, the steering wheel is very nice!

Last edited by Nola; 02-13-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Business email removed
Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
yes Bluetooth music streaming works with iPhones however the interface on the car end is beyond rudimentary - easier or necessary to pick up the phone to control.

I would get lane assist almost last from all the assists if they were all priced a la carte. My order from most wanted would be

rear camera
blind spot assist
distronic plus
keyless
attention assist
auto parking
lane assist
night vision
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Jason - this is a user forum, and you are certainly welcome as a Mercedes enthusiast, however a user forum should not be used to to troll for business...

Let me correct something else - the most economical prepaid maintenance plan is to purchase a 3yr/30K pack at $1465 MSRP, then when that runs out buy another 3yr/30K pack - beats the heck out of a 4yr/40K at $2429

Keep the beat !
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Mercedes Benz
But in 3 years or 30k miles, how much is that price going to go up? The 40k and 70 k maintenace is the most expensive, over $1300 alone.

Im not trying to "troll" for business. Im looking to help my fellow users so they can take advantage of what I (and my Finance guy) can offer them. It would be great to buy the PPM at MSRP, but most dealerships charge more than that, and they also have to charge the 15% surcharge fee...in WI I don't have to charge that..Maybe you live in one of the 2 or 3 states that don't charge it, but hey, maybe not.

Like I said...looking to help...and offer people a guide for pricing because some pricing out there, that I hear other dealerships give, is plain ridiculous...

Keeping the beat!

-Jason
Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM
AVB

GLK
Thanks to all for the comments and info.

So, to clarify - once the pre-paid maintenance runs out, it can be re-purchased at the current price for a new time / miles interval? My current plan is to lease for 24 months, than buy it out, unless I'd rather have a 2015 model. So, if I buy 2 years of prepaid maintenance, I can buy 5 more years afterwards?

@jellies: I don't want any "active" assists, unless they can be turned off without some obnoxious red light lighting up to tell me I am being bad. Can someone describe what happens when one disables the DISTRONIC+ and Active Lane / Blind Spot Assists? Also, can the Driver Assistance Package be split up when ordering from US Dealer?

@Kaasmann: can't wait till May to order - GLK is coming off lease and I need something that can tow 6000 lb in April.

@Jason: Having worked for Daimler in Stuttgart for 5 years, I am able to get the "friends" discount control number. Unfortunately, it does not apply to the pre-paid maintenance. Will PM you my email.

Alex
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM

ML350
Almost all, if not all, the systems can be turned off until you say otherwise. There are no obnoxious red lights or extra icons like there might be if you disable ESP. Eco stop/start is turned on by default when you start the car, turning it off is a button.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 PM
AVB

GLK
Is Eco Start / Stop an option with BT or standard? Don't see it in either list.

While on the topic of options, is there a way for me to order the Air suspension with 350BT? The On/Off road package that it comes in is not available with Diesel.

Also, can Distronic Plus be ordered without the rest of the Driver Assist Package?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM
AVB

GLK
Deleted double post

Last edited by AVB; 02-11-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM

ML350
Eco stop/start is just a standard feature.
you get airmatic if you order the AMG sports option, or it is also a separate option code .. I think.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM
AVB

GLK
So, some answers from my dealer to the questions above:

1. Cannot get Distronic Plus seperately . Also distronic plus option on critical availability cannot get if vehicle is scheduled in march. As a pkg $2800.

2. Passenger side memory/ lumbar would add $365 to price plus $250 special order charge.

3. Can get Airmatic pkg as an option #489 for $1610 plus $250 special order charge. Cannot install later.

4.Cannot add prepaid maintenance later.

Guessing the $250 special order charge will only apply once.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM

Mercedes Benz
Cannot add pre-paid maintenance on later? Im pretty sure you have until the first maintenance to add it (on new cars)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
AVB

GLK
Originally Posted by JasonMayes
Cannot add pre-paid maintenance on later? Im pretty sure you have until the first maintenance to add it (on new cars)
The question I asked was "Can I add it after 24 months?", so I think that is what he answered.

If I get 24 month lease and buy 5 year prepaid maintenance, wonder what happens to it if I return the car - would I get a refund?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Mercedes Benz
No, unfortunately it's non transferrable and you wouldn't get any reimbursement like a ELW.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Well, some clarification here for detail minded

First, you can buy pre-paid maintenance at any time - up to a nano-second before you open a maintenance service ticket - meaning you cannot roll into a dealership service center, open a maintenance service ticket, then buy the pre-paid maintenance to pay for that service.

To be covered by pre-paid maintenance, the maintenance service ticket has to be opened when the prepaid maintenance plan is in place.

Only in rare/specific states is unused prepaid maintenance refundable - and there are no states where prepaid maintenance is transferable.

The current charge for the 40K interval for a BT is not correct, and unfortunately severely overcharges for the actual 40K service, which technically should be no more than the charge for a 20K BT service - you can doublecheck that on the prepaid maintenance service brochure yourself - that is why 30K "chunks" are the most affordable right now.

Sure service costs at a MB dealer can go up - and most will go up - because MB dealer prices go up does not necessarily mean prepaid service plan will go up accordingly. Actually on the last price change to prepaid service plan, prepaid maintenance charges for most vehicles actually went down.

See my posts under thread: Service Plan Pricing?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 AM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by jellies
Eco stop/start is just a standard feature.
I got my 2013 ML Bluetec today. Eco stop/start is not on the BT, at least not in the US.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by RChpmn
I got my 2013 ML Bluetec today. Eco stop/start is not on the BT, at least not in the US.
My bad it seems it is standard in Canada, UK/Ireland, Australia. But for some reason not in the USA. Can't imagine why.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
First, you can buy pre-paid maintenance at any time - up to a nano-second before you open a maintenance service ticket - meaning you cannot roll into a dealership service center, open a maintenance service ticket, then buy the pre-paid maintenance to pay for that service.

To be covered by pre-paid maintenance, the maintenance service ticket has to be opened when the prepaid maintenance plan is in place.

Only in rare/specific states is unused prepaid maintenance refundable - and there are no states where prepaid maintenance is transferable.

The current charge for the 40K interval for a BT is not correct, and unfortunately severely overcharges for the actual 40K service, which technically should be no more than the charge for a 20K BT service - you can doublecheck that on the prepaid maintenance service brochure yourself - that is why 30K "chunks" are the most affordable right now.

Sure service costs at a MB dealer can go up - and most will go up - because MB dealer prices go up does not necessarily mean prepaid service plan will go up accordingly. Actually on the last price change to prepaid service plan, prepaid maintenance charges for most vehicles actually went down.

See my posts under thread: Service Plan Pricing?

Well put.

Also, most states besides Wisconsin and PR have to charge a 15% surcharge (and usually mark up) their pre-paid maintenance.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Jason - there are very few states where the 15% 30-days-post-sale-date is legally required - the vast majority of states the 15% surcharge can be waived - it is not limited to WI and PR...hope you might learn somehting here..
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
AVB

GLK
anyone has the list of those states that do? Is Michigan on it?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Mercedes Benz
"most"

Like I said in my other post, Im just here to help man...you don't have to hate on everything I say. Legally you're right...can stuff be waived, sure. Does it happen, not very often. We get multiple calls and emails daily because my guy is the cheapest, doesn't mess around with surcharges and over inflating everything...and a lot, and would venture to say most, finance managers do.

AVB, as Im told, Wisconsin is one of the only ones that doesn't charge the 15% surcharge 30-day post sale charge. If you buy it before the 30 day, they're not going to charge you the 15% fee.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Eco Start stop is not available in Canada for the ML, I know its available on the GLK and GL63
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM

S550 Porsche Cayenne
Except for the color, Distronic Plus and heated steering wheel I chose many of the same options.

There is only one $250 Special Order charge. I also ordered leather interior, the wrapped dash, wood and leather steering wheel and the soft close doors.

My only regret is that you can't get the off road with diesel.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:50 PM

13-ML350 BT;06-IS300;99-4Runner
My ML350BT has almost same config as yours.
Order all the options you want so no regret later
I wish I could order the Off Road Package. It's not available in Canada. I was amazed for its capability form YouTube.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 ML 350BT - about to order