M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Very short trips bad for Bluetec? Would block heater make sense?

Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 ML350 BT, '10 C63 (gone)
Very short trips bad for Bluetec? Would block heater make sense?

So, I recently got myself a 2013 ML350 Bluetec. Drives great, is quiet and very comfortable (love airmatic).

However, in the mornings, especially this winter when it's gotten down below -10c (14F) the engine bucks in the first minute and shifts hard, revving up on shift from 1-2 and 2-3. This goes away in a few minutes but I can't help think it's hard on the engine.

Here's the kicker - my commute is 8 minutes long. I start the car, wait 30 seconds, drive 8 minutes then shut it off. I repeat this driving back home. Those are (usually) my only trips for the entire day. I do this 5 days a week.

The engine never gets a chance to warm up. I've read this is really bad for the engine, especially if that's the type of driving it will see most of the time. So my thoughts are to get a block heater (there may already be one installed) and run it a couple hours ahead of departure time to help the engine warm up faster. I am thinking of doing this even above freezing temps, maybe even until summer arrives. I won't be able to do this on the return trip due to lack of an outlet, but it's better than nothing, right?

In retrospect, the gas engine might have been the better choice, but I didn't know about all this until now (1st diesel).

Am I overreacting?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
I have had similar thoughts. My wife had a '09 ML320 BTC and now a '13 GL350 BTC. Most days is start, drive 5min to day care, stop, drive 5min home, same thing in the evening. Car only gets to operating temperature on the way back. This makes for terrible mileage on the diesel in the winter. However no other bad effects in the short term I can tell? Didn't stop use from getting another BTC.

By the way, we have had 3 BTCs now and get some cold mornings in the 20s, but never had hardshifts and revving up during shifts in any of them? Maybe the transmissions needs to be looked at?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bonk
(love airmatic).
I thought you can't get air suspension on a Bluetec.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I have no expertise on the subject but I've always been under the impression that short trips...particularly in cold weather..isn't good for *any* engine.I've recently read that such a routine is even worse for diesels.Fortunately 90% (plus) of my miles *and* trips are on the Interstate...at 70mph...for 60 miles or more which,I firmly believe,is where diesels truly shine.

Last edited by listerone; 03-01-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
it's strange that the stop start is often enabled (green) immediately on mine, engine cold. I was expecting it to be suppressed until operating temps are reached.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML350 BT soon......pleeeease. GOT IT NOW....Wooooo
Originally Posted by jellies
it's strange that the stop start is often enabled (green) immediately on mine, engine cold. I was expecting it to be suppressed until operating temps are reached.
There are actually 9 conditions to be met before ECO will activate including
... Engine at operating temp.

( better make that "before it should activate")
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 AM

ML350
well my car is not paying any attention to cold engine
I get in of a morning turn on and Eco is green.. stops at the first corner.. shrug
Old 03-02-2013, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML350 BT soon......pleeeease. GOT IT NOW....Wooooo
Originally Posted by jellies
well my car is not paying any attention to cold engine
I get in of a morning turn on and Eco is green.. stops at the first corner.. shrug
You need to send it to the "naughty corner". You know, the one with the big star sign.......
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM

2012 ML 350 BlueTec
FWIW, my ML did the same think when it was cold. But I live in Florida where it doesn't really get cold. MB has no fix for this issue. I won the lemon law for this issue. You have 2 choices. Live with it ( i decided not to) or lemon law it.

What I was afraid of was the possibility of damage being done and the long term repair costs associated with it. Plus MB's inability to repair it.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 PM

2020 GLE 450
This may be an old wives tale but I was always told if possible to drive at least 20 minutes. This would insure the battery gets charged, the engine gets to full operating temperature, and the exhaust system gets throughly dried out. If you can't do it every day do it whenever you can.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by bbwah
I thought you can't get air suspension on a Bluetec.
You definitely can on a Bluetec, at least in Canada.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7
FWIW, my ML did the same think when it was cold. But I live in Florida where it doesn't really get cold. MB has no fix for this issue. I won the lemon law for this issue. You have 2 choices. Live with it ( i decided not to) or lemon law it.

What I was afraid of was the possibility of damage being done and the long term repair costs associated with it. Plus MB's inability to repair it.

It is a bit annoying, but it really doesn't last more than a couple minutes. I'll have to decide if I can live with it.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by frtdog
This may be an old wives tale but I was always told if possible to drive at least 20 minutes. This would insure the battery gets charged, the engine gets to full operating temperature, and the exhaust system gets throughly dried out. If you can't do it every day do it whenever you can.
Yes on the weekends I plan to take it out for longer runs on the highway etc. The torque makes it easy to get aggressive but I'm still in the breaking in period.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM

OK, I have the block heater cord, part #201-540-31-34 for those that are interested. $42.

I just spent half hour poking around the engine but cannot locate the heater. Does anyone know if it's visible at all from the top or am I going to have to remove the shield and come up from below?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 GLC 300 Coupe, Past ‘12 ML350 & ‘17 GLE AMG43 Coupe
Originally Posted by frtdog
This is also explained in the owners manual regarding operation for minimum 20 minutes, if the vehicle is used for frequent short trips, to allow the systems to get up to temp.
Unfortunately any damage from frequent cold operation may not be evident until much later. Because regular full temperature operation may not be possible for everyone in order to mitigate any excessive wear and tear, more frequent oil and fluid changes may be an option.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GL 350
From what I understand, Mercedes dealers in Canada can install an electric block heater on these vehicles. Given the type of commuting you do, this would be a good idea.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
I surmise you're commencing from a cold start outside rather than cold garage...therefore have you considered a remote starter ?
Living up here I consider it a must.... and luv mine. Even tho I have a heated garage I still use mine on a daily basis.
Dunno if a Bluetec creates any installation issues or not but I'd doubt it..
Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nanook
I surmise you're commencing from a cold start outside rather than cold garage...therefore have you considered a remote starter ?
Living up here I consider it a must.... and luv mine. Even tho I have a heated garage I still use mine on a daily basis.
Dunno if a Bluetec creates any installation issues or not but I'd doubt it..
Old thread, but funny enough I happen to check the forum today. What remote started do you have installed? How does it work with the RFID keyfob requirement? Who installed it?

Yes, I park outside. It's amazing the amount of junk you accumulate with kids.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
AS per my sig..Compustart...with added Drone option for iphone access antwhere..and does work with mB fob (panic button starts vehicle) and yes I have EasyGO..local co. installed...all in $1750
Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 AM

ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AS705
This is also explained in the owners manual regarding operation for minimum 20 minutes, if the vehicle is used for frequent short trips, to allow the systems to get up to temp.
Unfortunately any damage from frequent cold operation may not be evident until much later. Because regular full temperature operation may not be possible for everyone in order to mitigate any excessive wear and tear, more frequent oil and fluid changes may be an option.
The 20 minutes is to ensure the captured soot from the diesel exhaust is burned off. If you don't give it time to get up to proper temperature (the exhaust soot burn-off function) you'll require a clean out at the dealer. Exhaust pipes are pretty much all stainless steel now, so drying them out so they don't rust isn't such a big deal anymore. It's all about the soot capture and burnoff process on these Blutecs.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Bus & ML350BT
Originally Posted by Chasvs
The 20 minutes is to ensure the captured soot from the diesel exhaust is burned off. If you don't give it time to get up to proper temperature (the exhaust soot burn-off function) you'll require a clean out at the dealer. Exhaust pipes are pretty much all stainless steel now, so drying them out so they don't rust isn't such a big deal anymore. It's all about the soot capture and burnoff process on these Blutecs.
That is true. In many places, it is now a common requirement that Diesel vehicles is fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter. The DPF traps the diesel soot, which is then automatically 'burnt off' at high temperature as carbon dioxide. Normally the DPF is 'self-generating' in that it does not require any specific maintenance. However, the DPF can become clogged if the vehicle is only driven for short distances all the time - this may result in a costly visit to the workshop.

This is from Australia 2013-2 Supplement to the Owner's Manual, p16: 'If the vehicle is mostly driven for short distances, it is possible that the automatic cleaning of the diesel particulate filter vehicle will be interrupted before it is completed. This may lead to the 'Check Engine' light to be illuminated and requirement to presented to a Mercedes-Benz service centre for repair.
Therefore, if you frequently drive short distances, you should take a 20 minutes trip on a motorway or rural road at least every 500km.'

Although this applies to the Australian context, I would be very surprise if DPF isn't fitted to the US Bluetech models, so same recommendation applies.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:22 PM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
AS per my sig..Compustart...with added Drone option for iphone access antwhere..and does work with mB fob (panic button starts vehicle) and yes I have EasyGO..local co. installed...all in $1750
Holy crap that sounds fantastic....can I ask, do you get in the car and go, leaving it running (keyless go) or do you turn the remote start module off and restart the car normally. (wifes E series doesn't have KeylessGO.)

The MB module to replicate the smart key is $650, then one has to purchase the starter itself. the price he gave me was $1400-$1800 depending on features.

Last edited by schorert1; 10-22-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes in and go with it running after remote starting..but once inside I must press start again...wifes Lexus always shuts down after getting in and you must restart it..
Don't think you need that module..everything needed comes with the kit from Compustart...except some kinda special tool that you get from MB to take ignition switch apart..not sure..but you do have to add the Drone module for phone use and first year is free but after that you must pay annual fee for the cell connection..$99 or so
Old 10-22-2014, 02:11 PM

2013 ML 550, CLK63 AMG, 2012 E350 4MATIC
Yes in and go with it running after remote starting..but once inside I must press start again...wifes Lexus always shuts down after getting in and you must restart it..
Don't think you need that module..everything needed comes with the kit from Compustart...except some kinda special tool that you get from MB to take ignition switch apart..not sure..but you do have to add the Drone module for phone use and first year is free but after that you must pay annual fee for the cell connection..$99 or so
the quote he gave me was for a mid range starter for under $500 installed. When I said MB he said the smart keys from mercedes and BMW require the compustar module at $650.
It would make sense that when my wife opens the door the car would shut down, then she would put her key in the ignition.
thanks for your reply.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes I believe the module is needed only if you have the Keyless Go...I think

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very short trips bad for Bluetec? Would block heater make sense?