MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   My 2014 ML350 Order (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/498311-my-2014-ml350-order.html)

TjMadathil 05-06-2013 07:32 PM

My 2014 ML350 Order

2014 ML 2014
  • Black, Almond
  • Premium Package - 3920
  • Lane Tracking - 850
  • Park Assist w/ Surround Vision - 1290
  • Heated Stg Wheel - 225
  • Heated & Cooled Cup Holder - 180
  • Trailer Hitch - 550
  • H&K Surround Sound - 810
  • Keyless Go - 650

I just joined the site, please let me know your opinion / suggest any changes. Thanks in advance!

jprescott 05-06-2013 07:47 PM

Do the dealers have full order guide and pricing for the 2014?

TjMadathil 05-06-2013 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by jprescott (Post 5638691)
Do the dealers have full order guide and pricing for the 2014?

No, had the options available and preliminary pricing for options. There was no pricing on the SUV and destination charge.

fabbrisd1 05-06-2013 09:00 PM

I would suggest you consider adding Lighting Package - for what the intelligent headlights do - which is really light up the night - they are a bargain.

I would suggest you re-visit running boards - from the factory they are affordable - if you decide after delivery you want them - then that gets to be a headache AND major expense about triple..

I'll take a closer look tmrw if I get the chance...

TjMadathil 05-06-2013 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 5638784)
I would suggest ...

Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the lighting package, but decided against it. My 2006 BMW has regular lights and I am pretty happy with that. I seriously considered running boards, my wife and kids could use it, but finally decided not to go for it as well, but this was a close call. The fact about mud getting on your pants from the running board also played a part.

MishaDesigns 05-06-2013 09:20 PM

congrats and welcome to the site. Post pics when you can

fabbrisd1 05-06-2013 09:20 PM

Mercedes Intelligent Lighting System at night, then you are "happy now" because basically you haven't experienced what it does - most owners who normally day shop during the spring/summer don't get too - and frankly for $1300 MSRP it does a LOT more for increased safety and increased secure feeling during night driving. Those that have had MB Intelligent Lights NEVER go back . This is not a question of "how far" or "how white" - like keeping maximum light along the right side of the road when traffic approaches - great things like that.

Mud on the running boards ? Sure, old style running boards which extended way out past the wheel wells would get muddy from the front tires throwing stuff back... but new style running boards do not extend that far anymore, plus the front tires have a bottom mud flap - it's your personal preference but like $850 MSRP 90% of the ML have them and only 10% of owner's do not..

I understand if you are trying to hold your budget down - at the same time both options together add $2100 - a bit less than 4% of total MSRP - or add bit less than 4% to your purchase price and/or 4% to your payment - and you will added residual value on your ML when down the road you move to your next Mercedes.

340z 05-06-2013 10:06 PM

Black and Almond - That will be a beautiful ride.

Mercedes Intelligent Lighting System at night, then you are "happy now" because basically you haven't experienced what it does - most owners who normally day shop during the spring/summer don't get too - and frankly for $1300 MSRP it does a LOT more for increased safety and increased secure feeling during night driving. Those that have had MB Intelligent Lights NEVER go back . This is not a question of "how far" or "how white" - like keeping maximum light along the right side of the road when traffic approaches - great things like that.
I have to second this opinion. I drove both versions at night, and the Intelligent Lighting System is amazing. It's not only bright and white, but it really does light up the right parts of the road. I think if you try both versions at night you will decide it's worth the extra dollars.

Mud on the running boards ? Sure, old style running boards which extended way out past the wheel wells would get muddy from the front tires throwing stuff back... but new style running boards do not extend that far anymore, plus the front tires have a bottom mud flap - it's your personal preference but like $850 MSRP 90% of the ML have them and only 10% of owner's do not..
I'm with your initial thoughts on this one. I didn't get them for the same reason. I just found they got in the way and got dust on my slacks when getting out of the car. However, I don't tend to step on the running board to get in or out, so that is why they were more in the way for me. That said, it does look better with them, and, if you find it easy to step on them to get in or out, it shouldn't be a problem for your pants.

I think the rest of your choices are good ones, too. The Lane Tracking and Parking Assists are helpful. I was really loving the HK system on my way home from work today. The factory trailer hitch is not only reasonable, but its also wired into the car's systems, to compensate for a trailer load (this is not easy to retrofit). I am also surprised how much I'm using the keyless go.

The heated steering wheel and cup holders should be nice, but I have no experience with them.

I also got the passenger side seat memory on mine, since both my wife and I drive the car and have significantly different sitting positions. If you have a similar scenario and will find yourself in the passenger seat more than once in a great while, you may want to add this.

Enjoy.

jtorrebl 05-07-2013 01:06 AM

Sport appearance package? (Ml 550 body style)?

TjMadathil 05-07-2013 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by jtorrebl (Post 5639047)
Sport appearance package? (Ml 550 body style)?

No, just regular.

TjMadathil 05-07-2013 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 5638814)
Mercedes Intelligent Lighting System at night, then you are "happy now" because ...

Thanks! I am seriously considering Lighting system, it is the 1290 that is holding me back!

TjMadathil 05-07-2013 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 340z (Post 5638872)
Black and Almond - That will be a beautiful ride.

I have to second this opinion. I drove both versions at night, and the Intelligent Lighting System is amazing. It's not only bright and white, but it really does light up the right parts of the road. I think if you try both versions at night you will decide it's worth the extra dollars...

Enjoy.

Thanks for the detailed response. I am thinking hard about the lighting system now.

I did look at passenger memory seat, but it is over 500 or I had to go with leather, so I thought I would just move the seat a bit manually! This is a must for driver seat, but it is ok for the passenger seat given the cost I believe.

Again, I am stretching a bit to buy this, hence trying to skimp a bit here :-).

27T 05-07-2013 02:00 PM

The lighting package would've been a deal killer had the ML been delivered without it. It is a must have option and plays a large part in safety when driving at night, even on well lit streets. And there's the added bonus of aesthetics and compliments.

BruinsBenz 05-07-2013 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 5638784)
I would suggest you consider adding Lighting Package - for what the intelligent headlights do - which is really light up the night - they are a bargain.

I would suggest you re-visit running boards - from the factory they are affordable - if you decide after delivery you want them - then that gets to be a headache AND major expense about triple..

I'll take a closer look tmrw if I get the chance...

What do you mean by 're-visit running boards?'

sam9187 05-07-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by BruinsBenz (Post 5639897)
What do you mean by 're-visit running boards?'

What he is trying to say is "get the running boards"

JasonMayes 05-08-2013 10:20 AM

Im not a fan of the boards, but they do look nice.

Lighting package is a must.

Don't have the Base MSRP yet, but the pricing for the packages and options on the DOG, yes.

TjMadathil 05-08-2013 02:18 PM

It looks like the consensus is I should get Lighting Package, thinking about amending my order now.

YYZ-E55 05-08-2013 02:51 PM

Lighting package is a no-brainer and should be standard on a vehicle of this caliber.

iankayem 05-08-2013 09:58 PM

The lighting pack is standard here in Austalia. It is great and it would be on my car even if it was an extra price option.

Sadly though, after 11,000km, it is the item which is sending the car back to the dealer.

The Auto dipping feature is getting erratic. One long outback roads, it starts going up and down for no logical reason, even not dipping for an oncoming car. Hopefully it will be a simple fix.

sxue888 05-09-2013 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by TjMadathil (Post 5638670)
2014 ML 2014
  • Black, Almond
  • Premium Package - 3920
  • Lane Tracking - 850
  • Park Assist w/ Surround Vision - 1290
  • Heated Stg Wheel - 225
  • Heated & Cooled Cup Holder - 180
  • Trailer Hitch - 550
  • H&K Surround Sound - 810
  • Keyless Go - 650

I just joined the site, please let me know your opinion / suggest any changes. Thanks in advance!

Lightning package - is a must!
Airmatic package - so ML can be lower at high speed or added 3" extra ground clearance
20" AMG Wheels - to complete the look
110V plug - handy when traveling on the road

TjMadathil 05-09-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by iankayem (Post 5641384)
The lighting pack is standard here in Austalia. It is great and it would be on my car even if it was an extra price option.

Sadly though, after 11,000km, it is the item which is sending the car back to the dealer.

The Auto dipping feature is getting erratic. One long outback roads, it starts going up and down for no logical reason, even not dipping for an oncoming car. Hopefully it will be a simple fix.

This is the issue that worries me! I like changing the bulbs cheap when it fails by myself. Plus I live in one of the bigger cities where I never have to put high beam on.

TjMadathil 05-09-2013 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sxue888 (Post 5641505)
Lightning package - is a must!
Airmatic package - so ML can be lower at high speed or added 3" extra ground clearance
20" AMG Wheels - to complete the look
110V plug - handy when traveling on the road

Thanks, I would love to have the Airmatic package as well as 20", but too pricey for me. The 110V comes as part of the packages I have chosen I believe, I could use that for sure!

jnejah 05-09-2013 01:35 PM

How about a GLK?

Originally Posted by TjMadathil (Post 5638794)
Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the lighting package, but decided against it. My 2006 BMW has regular lights and I am pretty happy with that. I seriously considered running boards, my wife and kids could use it, but finally decided not to go for it as well, but this was a close call. The fact about mud getting on your pants from the running board also played a part.

I have no idea what your space requirements are but have you considered a GLK? You can load the GLK with all the goodies and the MSRP won't get you anywhere near what your ML will cost you. Economy seems to be a high priority so how about the new 250 Bluetec?

TjMadathil 05-09-2013 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jnejah (Post 5641984)
I have no idea what your space requirements are but have you considered a GLK? You can load the GLK with all the goodies and the MSRP won't get you anywhere near what your ML will cost you. Economy seems to be a high priority so how about the new 250 Bluetec?

The GLK is too small for me. I am a tall guy and when I push my seat back, kids complain that they don't have enough space in the back! Plus, I need the trunk space too. My wife doesn't want a diesel car either. :)

jnejah 05-09-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by TjMadathil (Post 5641990)
The GLK is too small for me. I am a tall guy and when I push my seat back, kids complain that they don't have enough space in the back! Plus, I need the trunk space too. My wife doesn't want a diesel car either. :)

TjMadathil - I hear you on the space issue. I'm awaiting delivery of an ML right now. Along with what you are ordering, I ordered Lighting pkg, 399 and R33. I ordered mine with SPC order items 942 (cargo management), U09 (upholstery wrapped dash), Y90 (got black leather interior so had to do the black headliner), 739 (rear sunshades) and 581 (3 zone climate control). Once you pay the one time SPC charge, the items in SPC seemed more than reasonable in terms of cost to me. I did not order 289 (wood steering wheel) because in my other cars, I always felt like they got very warm while parked under the hot sun. I also did not order 846 (running boards) because I personally feel the car looks better without them. I never considered resale value while configuring the car so it seems that advice from the others is very sensible indeed. Good luck with your order!