MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Will never use StealerShip for Service Maint again... (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/498608-will-never-use-stealership-service-maint-again.html)

NickTH 05-09-2013 01:18 AM

Will never use StealerShip for Service Maint again...

We used an independent shop for our Service A. Excellent service, out the door cost: less than $70.

StealerShip advertised special price of $249 for Service B. I assumed that replacement of engine filter comes along w/ oil change & tire rotation. Actually it was AC dust filter change that comes w/ B service. I didn't know/notice that since I told the scheduler/service advisor at least 3 times that for them to use my new K&N engine air filter when they replace the engine air filter along w/ Service B. They never told me that it was the inside AC filter.
Well, picked up my car, & final bill was $330.
They added $38.50 for labor for changing the air filter, $24.86 for misc supplies & disposal fee, & $17.18 tax.
Tax I understand, but the other 2 bogus charges floored me.
$38 for labor to replace air filter?!!!
$24 for supplies & disposal????!!!
Unbelievable!!!

I will never use the StealerShip for service again!!!!

shortspark 05-09-2013 08:12 AM

The supplies and disposal fees are really rip offs. If they use a shop towel you have to pay for cleaning it. If the mechanic uses soap to wash his hand, you have to pay for it. Crazy but that is how dealers operate these days. I went with the three year service agreement to be sure prices were fixed and that all work was done and documented by MB service departments for warranty purposes. I think I paid $769 for this and I hope there are no "hidden" fees on top of it for the next three years. I expect to bring the car in (A service is due at the end of May) and have everything done that is suppose to be done and walk out the door without ever opening my wallet other than perhaps for tax. We shall see.

I wanted to add a question. Did you receive tire rotation as part of the service A? Some people say it is included while others say you must pay separate for it. The maintenance you receive is base on required service although there are a bunch of other things that are "recommended" and I believe tire rotation may be one of those.

another_geek 05-09-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by NickTH (Post 5641534)

I don't know where the AC filter is located on the W166, but if it is like the W164, it is not as simple as opening a cover and swapping the filter. You have to disassemble the passenger-side glove box to get to the filter. A very stupid design IMO and I suspect it hasn't changed with the new model.

NickTH 05-09-2013 10:56 AM

We had a free tire rotation at the dealership at 5,000 miles.

Did oil change at indy shop at 10,000 miles for A service.
didn't rotate tires at that time.

Did this B service at 17,000 miles.

Now planning to go back to indy shop every 7,000 for oil change.
He charges $20 labor to do oil change, filter change, & reset computer.
I buy Mobile 1 from Walmart: $26 for 5 quarts x 2
I buy Mercedes oil filter from indy shop: $12
Will ask him how much he charges for tire rotation...
My wife loves this indy shop, nice people, great service.

Shrdlu 05-09-2013 10:59 AM

There is a YouTube DYI video on replacing the W164 cabin filter, which involves deconstructing the glove compartment to gain access. I would gladly pay somebody $38.50 to replace mine.

NickTH 05-09-2013 12:26 PM

no, the $38 is for replacing the engine air filter

frtdog 05-09-2013 02:15 PM

My dealer said the free tire rotation (the first one) ended with the 2012 model. He did, however, rotate mine, which was actually replacing the snow tires with the street tires, for free as a courtesy.

carboxy 05-10-2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by NickTH (Post 5641830)
We had a free tire rotation at the dealership at 5,000 miles.

Did oil change at indy shop at 10,000 miles for A service.
didn't rotate tires at that time.

Did this B service at 17,000 miles.

Now planning to go back to indy shop every 7,000 for oil change.
He charges $20 labor to do oil change, filter change, & reset computer.
I buy Mobile 1 from Walmart: $26 for 5 quarts x 2
I buy Mercedes oil filter from indy shop: $12
Will ask him how much he charges for tire rotation...
My wife loves this indy shop, nice people, great service.

I noticed my oil cap or cover is very tight
Any recommends to open it

fabbrisd1 05-10-2013 09:15 PM

I would seriously recommend revisiting using a K&N - seriously, no added good will come from it...

blackbullit 05-11-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by NickTH (Post 5641534)
We used an independent shop for our Service A. Excellent service, out the door cost: less than $70.

StealerShip advertised special price of $249 for Service B. I assumed that replacement of engine filter comes along w/ oil change & tire rotation. Actually it was AC dust filter change that comes w/ B service. I didn't know/notice that since I told the scheduler/service advisor at least 3 times that for them to use my new K&N engine air filter when they replace the engine air filter along w/ Service B. They never told me that it was the inside AC filter.
Well, picked up my car, & final bill was $330.
They added $38.50 for labor for changing the air filter, $24.86 for misc supplies & disposal fee, & $17.18 tax.
Tax I understand, but the other 2 bogus charges floored me.
$24 for supplies & disposal????!!!
Unbelievable!!!

I will never use the StealerShip for service again!!!!

Your dealership is actually pretty reasonable. Mine charged $430 for the B service for my ML. Indys rule!

fabbrisd1 05-11-2013 09:31 PM

I am wondering what indie was able to check a W166 for engine/tranny/COMAND program updates and include programming which MB dealers do at N/C included in A/B/D service ?

This isn't Kansas any more Dorothy..

NickTH 05-12-2013 01:55 AM

Most reputable Independent shops will invest in buying proper equipment to service your car.
I have been using several indy shops over past 15 yrs to do routine maint.
I usually bring them oil, filter, they usually charge $20 to do the work & reset the computers.
Sure, there are lots of people who don't mind paying $300 - $400 for routine maint at the StealerShip. Just be truthful with me & don't stick me w/ BS charges....

jtorrebl 05-12-2013 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 5644388)
I am wondering what indie was able to check a W166 for engine/tranny/COMAND program updates and include programming which MB dealers do at N/C included in A/B/D service ?

This isn't Kansas any more Dorothy..

That's true I've had 2 software updates on our 2012.
Also I can't stand this A and B service bull. I never know when I'm due for service what it entails and how much it would cost. I bought the maintnenece because of being cheated out before and not have to pay surprise charges. All my Audis (this out first Benz) had easy 5,15,25k, etc services. No question when it was due. No a or b service shenanigans

hfwadamson 05-16-2013 01:13 PM

Your U.S. Stealers are amateurs compared to our Canadian Stealers. My "A" service cost
$ 504-68. and the "B" service $ 873-66. It appears as if I am, heading towards buying the vehicle twice.

fabbrisd1 05-17-2013 02:43 AM

To NickT... you may not be aware but programming update is online with MB .. consider it "master control" and "remote diagnosis"... it ain't Kansas anymore Dorothy.. it's new gen, and not DVD old school update... but since you don't seem to communicate well with your dealer, I can't blame you for not knowing.. service schedule is clear as a bell, buy "prepaid" if you have a gasser, be a friendly and knowledgeable customer if you have a diesel and do your own AdBlue/DEF.. and by the way, K&N has only downside and no upside in a MB.

Cyber GS 05-17-2013 11:37 AM

Here is what I don’t understand.. MB rakes us over the coals in regards to service yet BMW offers no cost maintenance for 4 years or 50,000 miles. This not only includes oil and inspections but also brake pads, rotors, brake fluid serv, engine belts etc...

I am not trying to turn this into a MB vs. BMW post, which one is more reliable, which one is better etc, etc. I own an 2012 ML along with the 3 year pre-paid maint plan, but I will say after it cost me $700 to have the brakes pads replaced (pads only the rotors were in good condition) on my previous 2011 ML with 17K miles next time around I may very well give the X5 some serious thought..

And since MB’s and BMW’s cost relatively the same amount of money (so IMO it isn’t like BMW is inflating their sell prices that much so they can offer free maint) I feel MB should offer this as well and not bash their customers over the head with a lot of these inflated service charges…

Yes, before anyone says it, I am aware and expect the maintenance to be higher on an MB, but seriously they’re out of control.

sxue888 05-17-2013 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by hfwadamson (Post 5649498)
Your U.S. Stealers are amateurs compared to our Canadian Stealers. My "A" service cost
$ 504-68. and the "B" service $ 873-66. It appears as if I am, heading towards buying the vehicle twice.

I am in Canada too.

I was actual considering seriously to take my 13 ML350 BT down to Lynnwood, WA for both services.

Where you are located?

fabbrisd1 05-18-2013 01:11 AM

Do you really think there is a true "0%" financing - other brands - like money is free, or do you believe the finance cost is built into the vehicle sales price ?

"Free" is a convenience term to mean "prepaid"...

Some say tomato, some say tomAto - do you really think the cost of maintenance of a BMW is less than for a MB - for th eBMW you have paid that into the purchase price - and BMW's cost MORE than MB's overall.

galion 05-18-2013 08:20 PM

That is cheap! I wouldnt make a big deal out of it.
We pay much higher bills for servicing our MB, and dealers are the only ones allowed to perform those services in order to keep the warranty.

JALLEN4 05-19-2013 09:05 AM

I am going to play Devil's advocate here. Those of us who buy these cars usually pay at least $40,000 and as much as six figures. Generally we are enabled to purchase based on some exorbitant figure we are paid for our expertise in our professional lives.

When we pay those dollars, we expect and even demand excellent quality backed by excellent service from the retailer. We want to be treated "special" with loaner cars, 24/7 Roadside Assistance, access to well trained and well equipped technicians, all housed in first class facilities with well appointed waiting rooms.Should we have a problem with our expensive toys, we are chagrined that it happens at all and want instantaneous attention.

On the other hand, as soon as we have to spend a buck or two of our own money on maintenance, our entire set of parameters change. We are perfectly happy to drop the car off with some guy working out of a quonset hut and functioning on the last training he received working for the local dealer ten years ago.

Dealership overhead and supplied amenities are always there whether used for sales impressions, warranty, or even maintenance. It will always cost a few dollars more to buy the best of the training and the best of the equipment.

While it is very "trendy" to use the highly derogatory term "stealership", ask why you expect them to be the very best when you need them while you are perfectly willing to settle for second class and merely adequate when you are spending your own money. It never changes. You get what you pay for!

jnejah 05-19-2013 12:53 PM

I don't think there is a right or wrong here. It's just a matter of simple supply and demand isn't it? If the widgets in question are identical, there isn't a person on this forum who would want to pay more for it then the exact same alternative. Given the various available choices, we all choose what is right for our own personal requirements. Personally, I have never brought a car to an independent shop. Because time is perhaps my most important commodity, I take great comfort in knowing that when I call my MB dealer's service adviser, he arranges for the car to be picked up in exchange for a MB loaner. If I can find an independent shop to provide the exact same service for less money, I would surely give them a try.
JALLEN4 - I think "exorbitant" is a bit inaccurate when you classify MB buyers' income stream don't you think? The word implies that someone is paid at an unreasonably high rate and is undue. If one is "paid," then there must have been a point where the supply and demand curves intersect. I think the same logic applies to a MB service department or an independent one. Any person or business that charges "exorbitantly" will soon find that their respective demand curve intersects at their price point less and less frequently and will have to adjust something to be competitive or stop selling the widget. Hopefully, nobody here (dealers, independents, forum members in their own profession) is charging exorbitantly because it probably won't last very long. If you can find me a job where I am allowed to charge exorbitantly and keep on doing it while on high moral ground, please let me know where to apply or where to invest!
One final thought. If I find out that a dealer charged me exorbitantly, I would drop a note to the owner or GM. I have faith that they would not lose a customer over something unjust or extravagant.

Shifter 05-19-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JALLEN4 (Post 5652198)
I am going to play Devil's advocate here. Those of us who buy these cars usually pay at least $40,000 and as much as six figures. Generally we are enabled to purchase based on some exorbitant figure we are paid for our expertise in our professional lives.

When we pay those dollars, we expect and even demand excellent quality backed by excellent service from the retailer. We want to be treated "special" with loaner cars, 24/7 Roadside Assistance, access to well trained and well equipped technicians, all housed in first class facilities with well appointed waiting rooms.Should we have a problem with our expensive toys, we are chagrined that it happens at all and want instantaneous attention.

On the other hand, as soon as we have to spend a buck or two of our own money on maintenance, our entire set of parameters change. We are perfectly happy to drop the car off with some guy working out of a quonset hut and functioning on the last training he received working for the local dealer ten years ago.

Dealership overhead and supplied amenities are always there whether used for sales impressions, warranty, or even maintenance. It will always cost a few dollars more to buy the best of the training and the best of the equipment.

While it is very "trendy" to use the highly derogatory term "stealership", ask why you expect them to be the very best when you need them while you are perfectly willing to settle for second class and merely adequate when you are spending your own money. It never changes. You get what you pay for!

+1000000000