MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Airmatic Suspension? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/504315-airmatic-suspension.html)

sigep69 06-26-2013 11:18 PM

Airmatic Suspension?

What is the expected life of the Airmaitic Suspension? I am considering it but have some reservations. Some people say that it is a Great system and worth it....some say save your money due to the high cost to maintain the Airmatic Suspension. I wish that I could test drive a ML with Airmatic.....but the dealerships seem to never have them in stock. What are your thoughts on the Airmatic Suspension....any insight will be greatly appeciated. Thanks

ciparis 06-27-2013 02:34 AM

I currently own two 2013 MLs, one with Airmatic, and one without. I'm selling the one without it (although more for the lack of Distronic than anything else) and I can safely say that I will consider it a mandatory addition on all future Mercedes that I buy or lease. Well worth the cost and wait, for me.

GregW / Oregon 06-27-2013 12:50 PM

Airmatic

Originally Posted by sigep69 (Post 5694127)
What is the expected life of the Airmaitic Suspension? I am considering it but have some reservations. Some people say that it is a Great system and worth it....some say save your money due to the high cost to maintain the Airmatic Suspension. I wish that I could test drive a ML with Airmatic.....but the dealerships seem to never have them in stock. What are your thoughts on the Airmatic Suspension....any insight will be greatly appeciated. Thanks

I love the Airmatic, particularly combined with Active Curve. But, you are correct that there are many more things to go wrong. My W164 had three Airmatic issues in the 6 years I owned it, luckily all before warranty expiration. If you are keeping beyond factory warranty I would consider getting an extended one.

Stoneseller 06-27-2013 08:01 PM

I leased an '07 GL450 and a '10 GL450 that both had Airmatic/ADS suspension.
Currently my wife drives a '13 ML350 gasser with Airmatic, and I drive a '13 ML350 Bluetec with conventional suspension. I really don't see where the air suspension is dramatically better than regular suspension. On a sedan or coupe, I'd agree airmatic is well worth the potential problems. On an SUV, I doubt I'd ever select this option again.

sigep69 06-27-2013 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ciparis (Post 5694235)
I currently own two 2013 MLs, one with Airmatic, and one without. I'm selling the one without it (although more for the lack of Distronic than anything else) and I can safely say that I will consider it a mandatory addition on all future Mercedes that I buy or lease. Well worth the cost and wait, for me.

Thanks for your feed back

frtdog 06-28-2013 09:32 PM

I had an '06 for 6 yrs and had one issue. A compressor died. I had the extended warranty so it was covered.

sigep69 06-28-2013 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by frtdog (Post 5696461)
I had an '06 for 6 yrs and had one issue. A compressor died. I had the extended warranty so it was covered.

So how do you like your Airmatic suspension? If you had to do it over again.....would you still order your ML with Airmatic or with out? Does the Airmatic really improve the ride quality over standard steel spring suspension set up?

frtdog 06-29-2013 01:10 AM

I think the ride is better with the airmatic. Of course the only comparison I have is from my '01 ML320. And for the occasional off-roading I do it is nice to be able to increase the ground clearance.

blinkme_210 10-19-2013 10:27 AM

The Airmatic suspension really smooths out the jarring bumps in the road when it's in comfort mode. Bumps that you would really feel in other cars, you barely feel in the ML.

jtorrebl 10-19-2013 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stoneseller (Post 5695149)
I leased an '07 GL450 and a '10 GL450 that both had Airmatic/ADS suspension.
Currently my wife drives a '13 ML350 gasser with Airmatic, and I drive a '13 ML350 Bluetec with conventional suspension. I really don't see where the air suspension is dramatically better than regular suspension. On a sedan or coupe, I'd agree airmatic is well worth the potential problems. On an SUV, I doubt I'd ever select this option again.

But airmatic is a better ride right?

Stoneseller 10-19-2013 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jtorrebl (Post 5815608)
But airmatic is a better ride right?

Yes

GregW / Oregon 10-19-2013 12:34 PM

Airmatic

Originally Posted by sigep69 (Post 5696543)
So how do you like your Airmatic suspension? If you had to do it over again.....would you still order your ML with Airmatic or with out? Does the Airmatic really improve the ride quality over standard steel spring suspension set up?

Yes, ride quality is better. Also, you can increase stiffness for curvy roads, it automatically compensates for loads and you can raise the vehicle close to 4" for deep water, snow or off-road.

EVOII_Racer 10-19-2013 02:11 PM

The airmatic is mandatory on the w166 ml63 I think it says it all :D:p:

It's really incredible just the fact it can be comfy and then very sporty... I would never buy an ml without it!

Shrdlu 10-19-2013 03:45 PM

I like the automatic self-leveling function--front to back and side to side. Useful if you haul heavy cargo or tow a trailer with a heavy tongue weight.

Oh Cool 10-19-2013 07:51 PM

I just got my new ML with Airmatic, love playing with it watching it rising and lowering the vehicle. Feels high when at full rise. It was mandatory with my active curve system. Cool feature. :y

dgiturbo 10-28-2013 08:40 PM

In 138000 miles the only issue I have had with my Airmatic is a $25 relay that controls the compressor burned out in the on position, and ran the compressor to it's early death. $300 fix at the dealer. That's as reliable as one could ask for.

Ride is superior to those without. (Driven in co worker vehicle as a back to back test.) The ability to raise up to clear snow and brush is great. Nice when it self lowers on the highway to improve aero and handling. Handling on back road mountain roads are really fun when you hit the Sport mode button.

And you can't beat the cool factor when you open the rear hatch to load suitcases and the people you just picked up from the airport see the rear squat down to reduce the height you have to lift. Or when you hook up a 6500 pound RV with 700 pounds of tongue weight and the vehicle rides LEVEL and handles like a Mercedes should.

Will never buy an SUV without it in the future.

fabbrisd1 10-28-2013 09:42 PM

Airmatic - including the Benz system - is subject to stru failure starting at/about 70K miles - and a very good reason for Extended Limited Warranty of the new car warranty.

If one strut fails and is replace, it is quite common for the strut on the opposite side to fail in the following 10K miles.

Very solid suspension system - but again strut/bag failure does happen.

Keep the beat !