MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Tire Options after OE's (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/512768-tire-options-after-oes.html)

Jim Brady 09-07-2013 12:34 PM

Tire Options after OE's

My '12 350ML bluetec is approaching 40k miles on the OE Conti LX sport (hardly sport) M&S are worn on the outer edge even though there's about 5/32 left across the tread. Not the car but my driving style and high speed corners that make my commute tolerable.
Wanting to keep same size 255/50/19's and looking for some options other than the OE Conti's.

Jim

Waykool plantz 09-07-2013 02:39 PM

19"s ?

I went with the Pirelli Verde....can't say I'm thrilled

340z 09-07-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Waykool plantz (Post 5772508)
19"s ?

I went with the Pirelli Verde....can't say I'm thrilled

When I test drove various ML's before buying, I felt that the Pirelli Verde's gave a very harsh ride. The Dunlop OE (not sure the model) was entirely uninspiring, feeling very soft (and also a bit loud on the freeway).

I have the Continental LX Sports, too. They are comfortable, but I wouldn't count them in the high performance class by any means.

On another post, someone spoke well of the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, but I think that was more for comfort/quiet/long lasting, rather than 'sport' handling.

On a Volvo Cross Country, I've had the Continental Extreme Contact DWS's and felt that they really handled well, were great in the rain and rode decently well for a performance tire. They were a bit noisy on certain surfaces and my wife did not like the ride. We switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 2's and she is more satisfied with the ride. They are also comfortable, pretty quiet and handle almost as well as the Conti DWS's.

Tirerack.com has a lot of consumer reviews and you can even try to filter by vehicle - but there is not too much on the current version of the ML.

Please share your ultimate purchase and your perception of them, as the rest of us will have to replace ours at some point, too.

Baloo588 09-08-2013 12:13 AM

I was the one that replaced the terrible Pirelli Scorpion Verdes at 20k with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP which inspires a smoother ride, great handling, and traction. The car is more stable on the highway and doesnt jostle too much over the rough roads. The ride is much more luxurious yet the steering and feedback is excellent! Its a perfect tire for this SUV. I did 40k on these same tires in size 255/50R19 on my old ML350 with no issues.

Jim Brady 09-10-2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Baloo588 (Post 5772914)
I was the one that replaced the terrible Pirelli Scorpion Verdes at 20k with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP which inspires a smoother ride, great handling, and traction. The car is more stable on the highway and doesnt jostle too much over the rough roads. The ride is much more luxurious yet the steering and feedback is excellent! Its a perfect tire for this SUV. I did 40k on these same tires in size 255/50R19 on my old ML350 with no issues.

Thank Baloo for the input. I went with the Michelin Latitudes also and will report back after I have some mileage on them. I need to dial in the tire pressures for now.
Big O tire beat Tirerack's price and the born date was only two months old which is something I think most people overlook when buying tires on line.
Jimmy

Baloo588 09-15-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 5775739)
Thank Baloo for the input. I went with the Michelin Latitudes also and will report back after I have some mileage on them. I need to dial in the tire pressures for now.
Big O tire beat Tirerack's price and the born date was only two months old which is something I think most people overlook when buying tires on line.
Jimmy

Good to hear. My cold pressure is 33 psi front/rear. So far its perfect. I agree with you about the production dates being very important when buying tires online. I always make sure they are the freshest batch. Mines were less then 5 months old.

EVOII_Racer 09-15-2013 06:05 PM

Imo the conti. cross contact UHP are the best performance tires you can find for our ml's. Perfect when wet but also stunning when sunny on a racetrack .

And the best part is that they are still confortable :-)

captaincurt101 03-08-2014 01:11 PM

just purchased a 2013 ML 350. The Pirelli Tires are Junk after 20,000 Miles. I want to get an all season tire that can handle Michigan snow and give us a nice ride. using consumer reports and Tire Rack have narrowed down to Michelin tour XP , Conti DWS or Conti XL20
can anyone give me some feedback

Kartergreg 03-08-2014 01:19 PM

My 2013 ML 350 Bluetec came with Conti Cross Contact LX Sport tires. I only have 8000 miles on them but they seem to ride fine and don't show any noticeable wear yet. Don't know how they would handle snow as I live in FL and plan to never drive in snow again.

captaincurt101 03-08-2014 02:29 PM

thanks for the reply . but I still need a reply from how a tire handles in Snow with an AWD SUV . I had a 2003 BMW X% and never had an issue with All Season Tires even with Michigan winter storms. When it snow I slow down and do not drive like a nut. So with the X5 using Goodyear Assurance tires I felt safe at 40 MPH. Going to tire rack and consumer reports I get mixed reviews on how All Season tires perform. Thus I am looking for a response from similar car owners

SmokinReefer 03-08-2014 10:59 PM

One ML ago I bought Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes or something like that. They were down to the wear bars by 8,000 miles. Had a hard time driving the car. Called Pirelli to ask if the wear was normal and they refunded 60% without asking. Think they knew they had a issue. Ended up going with the OEM Continentals again

captaincurt101 03-10-2014 05:15 PM

how are they in the snow

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer (Post 5780725)
Imo the conti. cross contact UHP are the best performance tires you can find for our ml's. Perfect when wet but also stunning when sunny on a racetrack .

And the best part is that they are still confortable :-)

how are they in the snow ???