MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   An ongoing +/- list of my new ML63 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/513243-ongoing-list-my-new-ml63-amg.html)

Nanook 09-11-2013 05:13 PM

An ongoing +/- list of my new ML63 AMG

As I now have had this vehicle for a couple of weeks I thought I'd start a subjective evaluation/list of the goods and the bads...with no comparison to any specific vehicle but general past ownership of many..

The following are for people interested as I would have been as a potential buyer..some are ML63 specific..some are model in general (caveat: I have not driven or owned any other Benz)

+'s
1/ power
2/ quietness of cabin
3/ fit and finish superb
4/ brakes are outstanding
5/ headlights are excellent
6/ handling and turn in
7/ engine tone
8/ stereo gets an 8
9/ appearance
10/ nice bonuses / sunglasses case, one touch up and down on all windows

-'s
1/ throttle pedal too upright (no adjustment)
2/ contoured seat a pain to get in/out (big gripe)
3/ hvac system does not mute with phone use
4/ windshield sprayers way over done (you can spray the car in next lane) and excessive volume
5/ throttle response after roll down to creep to accel has annoying delay
6/ highway steering poor..vehicle creeps/wanders and needs constant correction (electric steering ?)
7/ have had better hvac systems ..auto performs constant uncalled adjustments and rapid cooling recovery after hot cabin start seems non-existant
8/ belt line is very high obscuring front fender proximity to driver
9/ no auto lock feature
10/ no stereo auto volume speed control (nit)
11/ tire offers wheel little to no protection from car wash track (wheel is convex of tire plane)
12/ preferred steering wheel position obscures gauges (6' driver)
13/ zero body side door parking protection (nit)
14/ no adjustment to seat bottom/side bolsters

Incidental observations:
-headlight switch icons are not lit at night
-comand screen overly bright at night even at lowest brightness level
-garage door commands do not function without vehicle running or ignition set to "on" position
-fuel door tire pressures vary from driver door pillar and what's up with 51 lbs of tire pressure ?

As it stands I now see this vehicle ML63 AMG model is weighted much more towards performance rather than comfort so for those looking for comfort and then performance I'd say focus on the ML550...

Just my initial .02 coming through a new vehicle transition

balticgreen 09-11-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 5776714)
9/ no auto lock feature

What do you mean by "auto lock?" That the doors lock when you reach a certain speed, about 8mph? It should do that.

It should do that too.

Nanook 09-11-2013 08:22 PM

No...I mean auto lock the doors after you take the key out and leave the vehicle..

For auto volume control I cannot find a setting or indication of activation..

balticgreen 09-12-2013 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 5776895)
No...I mean auto lock the doors after you take the key out and leave the vehicle..

Oh. Do any cars do that?

For auto volume control I cannot find a setting or indication of activation..
I'm not sure that there's a setting. It just does it.

Nanook 09-12-2013 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by balticgreen (Post 5777400)
Oh. Do any cars do that?

Yes most GM like Cadillac and Yukons etc

I'm not sure that there's a setting. It just does it.

I read it's equipped but have not verified and didn't appear to work..may exist tho

Cyber GS 09-12-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 5776714)
As I now have had this vehicle for a couple of weeks I thought I'd start a subjective evaluation/list of the goods and the bads...with no comparison to any specific vehicle but general past ownership of many..

The following are for people interested as I would have been as a potential buyer..some are ML63 specific..some are model in general (caveat: I have not driven or owned any other Benz)

+'s
1/ power
2/ quietness of cabin
3/ fit and finish superb
4/ brakes are outstanding
5/ headlights are excellent
6/ handling and turn in
7/ engine tone
8/ stereo gets an 8
9/ appearance

-'s
1/ throttle pedal too upright (no adjustment)
2/ contoured seat a pain to get in/out (big gripe)
3/ hvac system does not mute with phone use
4/ windshield sprayers way over done (you can spray the car in next lane) and excessive volume
5/ throttle response after roll down to creep to accel has annoying delay
6/ highway steering poor..vehicle creeps/wanders and needs constant correction (electric steering ?)
7/ have had better hvac systems ..auto performs constant uncalled adjustments and rapid cooling recovery after hot cabin start seems non-existant
8/ belt line is very high obscuring front fender proximity to driver
9/ no auto lock feature
11/ tire offers wheel little to no protection from car wash track (wheel is convex of tire plane)
12/ preferred steering wheel position obscures gauges (6' driver)
13/ zero body side door parking protection (nit)
14/ no adjustment to seat bottom/side bolsters

As it stands I now see this vehicle ML63 AMG model is weighted much more towards performance rather than comfort so for those looking for comfort and then performance I'd say focus on the ML550...

Just my initial .02 coming through a new vehicle transition

I have a ML350 and it acts the same way as you described in #5 above. You want it to go and it pauses for moment before going. It has to been one of the most frustrating things about driving it.

I would have never thought the AMG would have the same throttle delay.

Nanook 09-12-2013 10:25 AM

I'll get a sprint booster as soon as available...have one on my ZR1 and had one on my Cadillac and they are the answer...just not available for this car yet

2012MLBlue 09-12-2013 01:27 PM

Great report and makes me even happier I went with the 550. The seats on the 550 are absolutely perfect for me and I rarely get to utilize the 402 HP I have let alone the beastly power of the AMG.

STRADALEF1 09-12-2013 01:48 PM

Interesting, well written review.

RE: "no adjustment to seat bottom/side bolsters" - I noticed the high seat bolsters in the ML63 I test drove, I'm very used to deep seat bolsters from my other Euro cars but assumed with option 399 powered Multi Contour seats it would be adjustable like in my 997. Do you have this option or is the power adjustment of the bolsters only for the side/shoulder bolsters?? Do you think the running boards are making the seat bolsters it a little more difficult to deal w/? The ML63 seats appear extremely comfortable for my wife & I but there's a trade-off. Interesting that the same, deeply bolstered seats are in the GL63, wouldn't think they'd be appropriate for such a large, tall vehicle.

RE: "throttle response" - The turbo charging sounds like the delay you're speaking of. Have you driven in Sport or + as well as Comfort? I read that it makes a difference. My Porsche 996 turbo had a significant delay, my 997 turbo is much less because of Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG). The vanes of the Turbo shift based on RPM so they act like smaller turbos w/ less lag in lower RPM & like larger turbos in higher.

Do you have the Pano, if so what are your thoughts vs a Sunroof? I like the idea of the Pano but the cloth for the shades during sunny days ruins the appeal for me.

Nanook 09-12-2013 02:07 PM

Well Mr. S..

-There are no adjustments at all to the bolstering..bottom or sides..
-The running boards are certainly an issue egressing form the vehicle for me as I step clear of them..and it's somewhat of a stretch to get to the ground..pivoting off the seat with bolster under your butt/cheek..not good...and getting in one must slide in front of the bolster into the seat with your head fully bowed to clear the roof..
-I cannot see these seats working any better in the GL63 and with the minimal depth of the running board using it for a step leaving the vehicle is a pain
-The throttle nature is there regardless of the driving setting..it is NOT turbo lag but most annoying and best described as a hesitation/pause...most noticed like when you don't fully stop for a stop sign then initiate a gradual throttle increase...you have to wait for a response..kinda like a LONG delay of a shift from 2 gear to 1...other than this there really is not much turbo lag. I'm almost positive the sprint booster will eliminate this malady but it's not yet available as SB tells me this car uses fiber optics in the drive by wire design.....but it is coming
-Yes on the pano..(it is a sunroof..not certain about your comment)...it is fine as the mesh is quite dense...not 100% block but okay and MB must use some great glass as there is virtually zero noise wind or road that gets past it..I suppose one could introduce a film of sort to the mesh for additional light blockage if needed

if you're a larger fella you'll hate the seat bolsters...it's beyond me why they wouldn't have provided adjustment...the disc that you dl to the harddrive which provides technical information on some items must be generic as it advises seat adjustments for other vehicles but there are none for this baby

STRADALEF1 09-12-2013 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I meant standard there is a Sunroof vs. the Optional Pano Roof.

RE: " seat bolsters - Vs. a Cadillac or a Vette the seat bolsters are much deeper in the ML63. But nothing compare to my carbon fiber racing seats on my F430. (I attached a pic) But I know where you are coming from, if you're not used to that kind of seat it will either take some getting use to or not. Obviously the seat bolsters are there for support during turning.

I'm not positive but think option 399 - powered multi-countored seats with massage provide adjustable side bolsters for the seat back.

"The multi-contour seats are equipped with 4-way lumbar support, adjustable side bolsters of the seat back for optimum lateral support,
Seat cushion depth adjustment to support the thighs and massage function with different settings (speed, intensity, etc.)"

Nanook 09-12-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by STRADALEF1 (Post 5777773)
I meant standard there is a Sunroof vs. the Optional Pano Roof. Not certain what you're meaning..I have a Pano with sunroof..

RE: " seat bolsters - Vs. a Cadillac or a Vette the seat bolsters are much deeper in the ML63. But nothing compare to my carbon fiber racing seats on my F430. (I attached a pic) But I know where you are coming from, if you're not used to that kind of seat it will either take some getting use to or not. Obviously the seat bolsters are there for support during turning. The vette bolsters are quite pronounced as with your dancing horse but you must remember you are stepping/lifing up and out of the seat on these..the ML you're going down sliding off the seat..

I'm not positive but think option 399 - powered multi-countored seats with massage provide adjustable side bolsters for the seat back. No such animal available in 2013 as far as I know..not here in CDN as least...2014 possibly

"The multi-contour seats are equipped with 4-way lumbar support, adjustable side bolsters of the seat back for optimum lateral support,
Seat cushion depth adjustment to support the thighs and massage function with different settings (speed, intensity, etc.)"

Source ?

STRADALEF1 09-12-2013 03:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the confusion, I mean; The ML63 comes standard (in US at least) with a sunroof, one piece of glass that opens into the headliner, inside the vehicle. It has a manual slide that blocks 100% of the sun light. The glass can also tilt to vent while the slide is shut (the slide has venting slats). The Pano roof option is 2 openings in the roof, 2 pieces of glass, one that is over the driver & moved back on-top of the vehicle when opened & a 2nd piece of glass that is somewhat over the 2nd row which doesn't open. The Pano's motorized cloth sun shades that cover both areas (one motor closing or opening both shades) is very thin & allows sunlight through the fabric into the cabin, some people like this extra sun light, others like myself do not.. Pics attached of both types.

RE: Bolsters - The Vette bolsters & the carbon fiber racing seats on an 430 are quite different animals, the side bolsters are much more pronounced & much less padded on a F430 with racing seats (only manufactured till 2006 & same CF shells as the Challenge Stradale).. . The Vette seats are well known for their less pronounced seat bolsters compared to other very high performance cars. It's an American thing. Less supportive w/ lateral movements but with more space & easier to get in & out of... The adaptive sport seats on the Porsche 997 are deeper than the Vette too but they are closer in depth. But the 997's adjustable sport seats have seat back bolsters & seat bottom bolsters that are fully adjustable. On the ML63 that I test drove that had option 399 both my wife & I noticed that the passenger seat back side bolster happened to be closed in much narrower then the drivers, comically so,,, I just didn't look for the adjustment. But we found them unbelievably comfortable, THE best parts about the vehicles interior IMO.. I find getting into a deeply bolstered seat w/ the medium height of the ML much easier then getting in & out of a deeply bolstered seat when the vehicle is extremely low to the ground like the Ferrari. But different strokes for different folks.

RE: "power multi-contour seat" "SOURCE" = Mercedes-
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...massage-2.html

I have 399 in my build - $1100. But I'm sure someone here could confirm that the option adjusts the seat back side bolsters or not?? Not sure if it's a MY or US vs CANADIAN options thing??

STRADALEF1 09-12-2013 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
399 is listed in the attached June 2012 Order Guide as "NEW" for MY 13 so it's not a MY thing, guess there's a difference in availability US vs. Canada?? Weird, huh?

"399 Multi-contour driver/passenger seat with massage NEW! $1,100"

Nanook 09-12-2013 04:59 PM

Yes I agree on the intensity of the F bolsters..and yes the vette seats are psssfff...

As for the sunroof the solar intake is welcome up here in iglood land..I'll take it when it's there...the screen is fine for me

I have seen the 399 option spec but it didn't list adjustable bolsters..seat or back...10 way but 4 of that is lumbar..other is seat body and head rest...id in fact they are available I'm gonna order a new driver seat :)

I only sat in passenger seat for 10 minutes and didn't notice it to be narrow...seat bolster widths are okay for me but just...bottom is on the narrow side and overall seat is a tad narrow...adjustment should not be an option..

Nanook 09-12-2013 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by STRADALEF1 (Post 5777966)
399 is listed in the attached June 2012 Order Guide as "NEW" for MY 13 so it's not a MY thing, guess there's a difference in availability US vs. Canada?? Weird, huh?

"399 Multi-contour driver/passenger seat with massage NEW! $1,100"

I still can't find any text advising the bolsters are adjustable..

Nanook 09-12-2013 05:25 PM

I suppose your dealer could confirm..

Nanook 09-12-2013 05:29 PM

You know multi contour as penned in the brochure has connotation of a fixed bucket...no?

STRADALEF1 09-12-2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 5777969)
Yes I agree on the intensity of the F bolsters..and yes the vette seats are psssfff...

As for the sunroof the solar intake is welcome up here in iglood land..I'll take it when it's there...the screen is fine for me - LoL! I used to spend weeks at a time in Montreal & Toronto so I hear you on that. For me it's just a personal preference especially in summer when leaving the office on a hot day, etc. I like the look of the black roof (exterior) of the Pano though..

I have seen the 399 option spec but it didn't list adjustable bolsters..seat or back...10 way but 4 of that is lumbar..other is seat body and head rest...id in fact they are available I'm gonna order a new driver seat :)

I only sat in passenger seat for 10 minutes and didn't notice it to be narrow...seat bolster widths are okay for me but just...bottom is on the narrow side and overall seat is a tad narrow...adjustment should not be an option..

-I didn't mean that all ML63 passenger seats are narrower than the Drivers seat. In the ML63 that had option 399 at my dealer someone must have been playing with the seat back bolsters on the passenger seat back because when my wife & I sat in both seats we noticed the passenger side was adjusted to be much more narrow then the drivers seat, noticeably so. Part of the reason I believe that at least the seat back side bolsters are adjustable (in US ML63 w/ 399 at least).

I read from a few members here that break-in is 1000 miles & that Sport & Sport plus have noticeably more aggressive throttle mappings. Wasn't sure if you had explored those settings yet or just Comfort so far.

Looking forward to reading more from you on the ML63. Thanks for the firsthand feedback, it makes the wait a little more tolerable. :zoom:

STRADALEF1 09-12-2013 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 5777982)
I still can't find any text advising the bolsters are adjustable..

Does your ML63 have massage?? Believe it's only the seat back bolsters that adjust, not the bolsters on the seat bottom but just found this:

340z -"Hi JRH
I have the multi-contour seats and really like them. I have had back surgery, so I originally got them in order to be able to dial in the lumbar support (both how much it provides and the exact height its located at). They do that well, and I similarly like adjusting the side bolsters.
I never thought that I would actually use the massage function....but....I now use it almost constantly. Make no mistake, this is not like a real spa massage, or even like the massage chairs that you'll find in stores, that have rollers. Basically, its just a series of stacked air bladders (feels like about 5 to me), that fill up in sequence from bottom to top. There are 4 settings to choose from: Slow and Gentle, Slow and Vigorous, Fast and Gentle and Fast and Vigorous. These settings determine how much the air bladders fill up and how fast they move from bottom to the top and start over again."
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...w-massage.html

& Picture Attached from this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...interface.html

Nanook 09-12-2013 06:31 PM

Yup that certainly looks like they are adjustable...I didn't order my vehicle so I don't know if that option 399 is available here or not...it's odd how different regions of the world have different options...I've seen video of the top of an engine with performance option without the CF cover..and other oddities...some places the hitch is std..other it is an option..etc..

I just washed the beast Frank :) and the "flat spot" in the throttle response is even apparent in neutral as you run up from idle just above 650ish...yuk

GMW 09-14-2013 10:11 AM

399 multicolour seat option does have adjustable side bolsters and adjustable bottom seat cushion lengthening (through inflation of the very edge towards the pedals side). This option I specifically added to my order. It is very useful and tied in to the memory seats so that I can have some tighter seat settings to go with my more aggressive seating setting when I want to driver faster.

As for throttle lag. S mode has no lag. In fact the car is ready to mount the cars in front if you are not careful. It is the most aggressive S mode I've ever encountered in a vehicle and perfectly suiting an aggressive driving style when you want to move as quick as is possible. :-)). If anything the current S mode should have been labelled S+ with a slightly more laid back S mode replacing the S and leaving C mode for ultimate relaxation as it already is now.

Nanook 09-14-2013 10:44 AM

Good to know..I'll confirm that S mode and I wonder if I could add the adjustable driver seat option only..hmmm

Nanook 09-14-2013 10:46 AM

BTW is the Jeep that similar to the ML ? I've read they are on the same platform/chasis ?

DriveAMG 09-15-2013 09:06 AM

Weighing in...

Good day...

I've had my ml63 now for 3 plus months. I've got the multi contour and overall I'm not as pleased with the seats as I was with the ones in my e63. Do yourself a favor. Get rid of the running boards. They are an unnecessary hinderance. Plus living out west in the winter they'll just destroy your pant legs in the winter. Yes the side bolsters are high but I found I've gotten used to them. I've been to the track already a couple of times and the seats have worked well.

I find that in S mode there is no lag at all, actually it becomes a bit twitchy on the throttle response. I prefer C mode around town but miss the throttle blips of S mode.

If you hit up 6thgear.com and flip through their picture galleries you'll see pics of my ML at the track.