MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   great, yet another problem with the ML. WORST car I've ever owned. (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/523055-great-yet-another-problem-ml-worst-car-ive-ever-owned.html)

dk10438 12-05-2013 10:32 PM

great, yet another problem with the ML. WORST car I've ever owned.

I have to vent since this is the biggest turdball I've ever owned. Over the past 13 months of ownership, the car has been in the shop 45 days. Just one headache after another. the problems I've had

1. Mbrace not programmed correctly, needed a software update
2. Tailgate wouldn't open and close correctly. Took 3 separate trips before they could fix it. Finally, one of the struts failed completely and it had to be replaced.
3. Ignition failure needing the car to be towed into the dealer.
4. Coolant sensor needed replacement
5. seatbelt tensioner broke
6. rear vent broke
7. the infamous noise on start up.
8. new unknown problem.

had the car in the shop for the past 10 days for problem #7, the car was supposed to be ready tonight. I get a call at the last minute saying the car was throwing a code and the technician couldn't diagnose it so they don't know what the problem is. This is the worst car I've ever owned. Adding insult to injury, the technicians are either unable or unwilling to make diagnoses on their own. They claimed they couldn't reproduce #7 and that there wasn't anything wrong with the car. Then I sent a video of my car, a link to this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...errerid=221431 and the service bulletin. Only after all of that did they acknowledge a problem.

Snipe656 12-05-2013 11:08 PM

If it helps any, I have a BMW that spent a ton more days than that in its first 13 months. Heck around 30 of its days were in a row. Although turned out my annoying car issues were actually an idiot technician and not an actual bad car.

shortspark 12-06-2013 04:40 AM

And yet my 2012 has been virtually problem free for a year and a half. Why some cars fail and others go on and on is a mystery, especially since most things are software driving in automobiles these days. If the problems are mechanical in nature I can only attribute it to poor quality control. The materials used by MB are among the best in the business but workers are workers no matter who gives them a job. People are simply not as careful or caring as they once were and pride of a job well done is history. This decline manifests itself in many ways and in every aspect of life. Car building and service is no different.

This sad but true commentary does not help you at all of course because nothing will help. But if I were you I would no longer tolerate the wasted time and frustration. An automobile should be almost like a soul mate and something that gives you a great deal of pride and enjoyment - and most do exactly that, especially those built by MB. However, once it ceases to do that it is time to trade the sucker in, take the loss no matter how great and keep your fingers crossed for a better car the next time.

Chasvs 12-06-2013 10:36 AM

It does sound more like a bad Shop than a bad car.

dk10438 12-06-2013 11:35 AM

yes, very disappointing but it's not just the dealer since the ignition problem, rear tailgate strut, and coolant sensor all failed. It's really too bad since my wife and I were at odds which SUV to buy. She really wanted the ML, I really wanted the Cayenne. Notwithstanding the excessive repairs, the car has really grown on me and MB did a really good job with the W166. I'm going to pursue a lemon buyback. After all, I am paying for a ML and 10% of the time my wife is driving a stripped down C class or GLK as a loaner.

After each repair, I kept thinking that that would be the last time. But it keeps having to go back. I'm of the opinion that once a car declares itself to be problematic, it's always going to have problems.

I was actually open to getting another ML if we can get rid of this one but my wife is firm on not getting another MB, probably since she is the one that has to deal with all the repairs so we're shopping for a Cayenne Diesel.

Snipe656 12-06-2013 11:50 AM

One thing that gets me with the Cayenne Diesel is since it has the exact some engine/transmission from the VW then why does Porsche require service on it far more often? As an example oil changes are required in like half the miles as the VW cousin. I found the Cayenne Diesel to be a huge let down when I finally drove one. Probably because my past Porsches always exceeded my expectations. Now the Cayenne S, that I loved.

dk10438 12-06-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Snipe656 (Post 5866466)
One thing that gets me with the Cayenne Diesel is since it has the exact some engine/transmission from the VW then why does Porsche require service on it far more often? As an example oil changes are required in like half the miles as the VW cousin. I found the Cayenne Diesel to be a huge let down when I finally drove one. Probably because my past Porsches always exceeded my expectations. Now the Cayenne S, that I loved.

um because it's a porsche and they gouge u at every chance?? when I take my carrera in for an oil change and I complain about the cost, the response is "doc this isn't a Toyota", LOL

The car is for my wife so she doesn't need the V8, she'd probably complain about the poor mileage anyway. IMO, diesels are the way to go for SUV's, decent mileage and a lot of torque which is great for everyday driving.

Snipe656 12-06-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dk10438 (Post 5866475)
um because it's a porsche and they gouge u at every chance?? when I take my carrera in for an oil change and I complain about the cost, the response is "doc this isn't a Toyota", LOL

The car is for my wife so she doesn't need the V8, she'd probably complain about the poor mileage anyway. IMO, diesels are the way to go for SUV's, decent mileage and a lot of torque which is great for everyday driving.

Yes but when you essentially have the exact same drivetrain in a Q7 and Toureg it makes it become a lot more obvious. I am not talking about price here though, I think the Cayenne Diesel oil change interval is like 5k miles and the Toureg is 10k miles, it is a massive difference whatever the actual numbers are and it is not like the engine is "tuned" differently between the three "makes".

This is just me though, I had really high hopes for the Cayenne Diesel and finally got to drive them and felt really let down. The engine/transmission related driving characteristics really feel no different than the Toureg to me and I drove them back to back more than once figuring it was my imagination.

dk10438 12-06-2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Snipe656 (Post 5866481)
Yes but when you essentially have the exact same drivetrain in a Q7 and Toureg it makes it become a lot more obvious. I am not talking about price here though, I think the Cayenne Diesel oil change interval is like 5k miles and the Toureg is 10k miles, it is a massive difference whatever the actual numbers are and it is not like the engine is "tuned" differently between the three "makes".

This is just me though, I had really high hopes for the Cayenne Diesel and finally got to drive them and felt really let down. The engine/transmission related driving characteristics really feel no different than the Toureg to me and I drove them back to back more than once figuring it was my imagination.

yeah, i know u weren't just talking price on the service. It is literally twice as frequent than the other VW's for no reason other than it's a Porsche. This was discussed in detail on the Porsche board. Therefore, a significant amount of the savings that u get in fuel costs are offset by increased maintenance costs. And to boot, I think that the service interval code can only be reset by a Porsche PIWI so changing the oil yourself and refilling the blue juice isn't a viable option. I agree, it's BS.

Streamliner 12-06-2013 06:02 PM

May we know the name of the dealer you are taking your ML to? I'd like to make sure I steer clear of them. Also, have you thought about filing a "Lemon Law" case? If that was my car with all those problems, I'd want them to buy it back from me.

dk10438 12-06-2013 06:29 PM

yeah, I've already filed a LL claim. Hopefully it'll get resolved in my favor. Regarding the dealership, I've had bad experiences both trying to buy the car and servicing (MB of Southbay).

Google and Yelp reviews seem to echo my experience, rude salespeople, poor service. When I tried to order the car in August 2012, I asked for a discount and I was told that the ML was a "hot car" and they wouldn't even give me $100.00 off MSRP. I'm thinking you gotta be joking. The following week, I ordered the car from Foothill Ranch in Orange County at invoice. Then the sales manager from MB Southbay emails me and asks how the "experience" was. I respond that it wasn't good. He didn't follow up to ask why or what the problem was. Clearly they didn't care.

Another example of poor service, my wife comes in for an unscheduled problem. No loaners which is perfectly understandable. The service advisor says that its early in the morning and to come back at 5 since that's when the loaners are there. She comes back at 5 and they tell her there's no loaners. My wife then raises a stink because she had to cancel an appointment and drag my 6 year old back there so the begrudgingly give her a car ( service advisor then rolls is eyes and my wife sees it). Cmon, if you're going to roll your eyes, at least wait 'til the customer is looking away....

My wife refuses to go back there and so I have to bring the car in for service. I guess another option is just to go to another dealership.

Streamliner 12-06-2013 06:44 PM

The real problem with MB of Southbay is that they are an AutoNation dealership. I have had similar problems with other AutoNation dealerships. They tell you one thing and then do the exact opposite. They will say anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. I do not believe that management there has any pride or ethics. I would advise everyone to steer clear of any dealership owned by AutoNation. I agree that the folks at Foothill Ranch MB are very nice. Got my wife's E350 there.

Snipe656 12-06-2013 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 5866875)
The real problem with MB of Southbay is that they are an AutoNation dealership. I have had similar problems with other AutoNation dealerships. They tell you one thing and then do the exact opposite. They will say anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. I do not believe that management there has any pride or ethics. I would advise everyone to steer clear of any dealership owned by AutoNation. I agree that the folks at Foothill Ranch MB are very nice. Got my wife's E350 there.

I too have ran into major issues with AutoNation owned dealerships. I firmly believe it is a trickle down issue, as the problem exists at the very top of the company and just intensifies as you go down the ranks.

2012MLBlue 12-06-2013 09:14 PM

TRADE IT!!

Christ I wouldn't have put up with 1/5 of these issues.

ilke.senol 12-07-2013 11:42 AM

Sometimes we all missed those old days when everything was manual and no computers and electronics in the cars :)

dk10438 12-19-2013 07:05 PM

As shocking as it is to believe, the car has another appointment to go back to the shop. The rear hatch won't open again. Geez, it was just in last month, and the month before. Every month it has a date with the dealership, this is a POS!

markfl 12-19-2013 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by dk10438 (Post 5881201)
As shocking as it is to believe, the car has another appointment to go back to the shop. The rear hatch won't open again. Geez, it was just in last month, and the month before. Every month it has a date with the dealership, this is a POS!

Sorry to hear. Your posts and others have genuinely put me off buying a ML.

tc1728 12-19-2013 11:12 PM

Complaining on a forum helps with reliability, so check back in a month or so. It may get better...

dk10438 12-20-2013 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by tc1728 (Post 5881456)
Complaining on a forum helps with reliability, so check back in a month or so. It may get better...

huh? not sure if that was was sarcasm or sympathy. In any case, I checked the car last night and the problem is not reproducible so I'm not sure that MB will be able to fix it. My wife took a video to prove that there was/is a problem. Most likely, this will be like the last time, the rear gate will open intermittently and we will have to suffer through it until it just fails completely.

shortspark 12-20-2013 05:35 PM

The intermittent opening and closing of the hatch means it will likely fail soon. The right shock maintains the "memory" sensor for the set open point. If you have set the hatch to a specific stop height and then attempt to close or open it manually, it will screw up the memory somehow and cause it to fail. That is what happened to me and what the service technician explained. From that point on, once I set the stop height I always open and close the hatch by either the remote or the inside release latch - never manually. I have had no trouble since.

dk10438 12-20-2013 06:16 PM

I'm actually aware of what damages the motorized struts. The hatch has only been opened and closed using the remote fob or the button on the inside of the hatch door. I expect this problem to worsen, again, just like it did the last time.

dk10438 12-24-2013 01:31 PM

Another disappointing service visit

My wife went to the dealership for her scheduled appointment (which I had already requested a loaner car). The SA that she was supposed to see wasn't there for some reason so she saw someone else. He tested vehicle and didn't find anything wrong. Then my wife shows him the video that she took and so he says that they need to keep the car but they don't have a loaner for her. Then I have MB call me.

MB: Do you know who worked on the tailgate the last 3 times? I think it would be best if the same technician looked at it.
Me: No, don't you have the records? All the service has been done at here.
MB: Ok. I just thought you would know.
Me: I don't know.
MB: We need to keep the car for a few days but we don't have a loaner for you. Can your wife come back on Thursday?
Me: I think this is absurd for my wife to keep having to come back. I made an appointment last week to come in today and I was promised a loaner. What's the purpose of making an appointment and reserving a loaner if you don't have a car for us.
MB: Ok we can get rental from enterprise.
Me: I don't want a rental from enterprise.
MB: Ok, we will give you a C class.
Me: Ok, thanks.

It got resolved eventually, but I really think that they should have full access to the records and they shouldn't have to call me to ask who worked on the car and when it was serviced. This is the second time where a loaner was promised then they "didn't have one available" and my wife was asked to make another trip to bring in the car. I am quite suspicious that one of the employees wanted to take one of the loaners home for the holiday. Otherwise, how can one explain that they didn't have a loaner and then they had a loaner available???

Streamliner 12-24-2013 08:40 PM

I'm sure you are keeping detailed records of this fiasco. Keep a close count on the number of days it has been in the shop and if and when you reach the magic number (I think it's 30, but I'm not sure), demand your money back or else file a Lemon Law suit. Actually, if it were me, I'd be demanding a new vehicle right now. Merry Christmas!

buckeyewalt 12-26-2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by markfl (Post 5881423)
Sorry to hear. Your posts and others have genuinely put me off buying a ML.

I hate to say this, but me too as well. Terrible service.

dk10438 12-26-2013 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 5885661)
I'm sure you are keeping detailed records of this fiasco. Keep a close count on the number of days it has been in the shop and if and when you reach the magic number (I think it's 30, but I'm not sure), demand your money back or else file a Lemon Law suit. Actually, if it were me, I'd be demanding a new vehicle right now. Merry Christmas!

I've already got the lemon lawyer on the case. I've already exceeded the number of days so I'm just waiting to here back what the response and/or settlement will be. Apparently they will draw things out for as long as possible.

Couple other things, do others have these problems?
1. on start up, there is a malodorous scent coming from the vents, smells like mold. I think that it's coming from the AC system, none of my other cars stinks at start up.

2. Gas cap cover doesn't want to open all the time so I have to make repeated attempts to access the gas tank.

Since the car is in the "spa" now, might as well have them try to fix those problems too. I don't know if it's MB, this particular dealership, or that this car is just a lemon but I can say that this has been a poor experience for me. From the numerous nagging problems to what I would consider poor customer service during maintenance visits, 2 thumbs down!