MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   On the verge of buying a '14 RX350..yay/nay? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/531105-verge-buying-14-rx350-yay-nay.html)

Nanook 02-14-2014 08:23 PM

On the verge of buying a '14 RX350..yay/nay?

Time to retire our 2001 MDX to eldest daughter..220k kms and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new 2014 Lexus RX350 CDN package Ultra Premium2.
Open for any comments..yay ? nay ?...looked at the MDX and don't care for the fat ass look or front grille panel..don't care for the Infinity either and my wife is not keen on another ML and I can't bring myself to buy a Jeep or GM (considered Caddy but again hate the look) so...I guess I'm just looking for some comments positive or negative preferably from anyone that has/had a 13/14 RX...cheers

tasho3 02-14-2014 08:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We got one (2014 RX F Sport) at work (Exotic Motors) about a month ago and everybody was shocked how Lexus considers that interior luxurious? To me, felt very outdated and Toyota! But everybody has different taste. Check out the GLK350 with AMG Sport package. I know it's not on same category but might be worth the time.

Nanook 02-14-2014 08:42 PM

Yup I agree..after driving my ML63 and getting into an RX it just seems so blah..everything is smooth with no detail..hate that curvy console and HATE that shifter...but..it's not going to be me driving it..Sorry but the GLK looks like a cross between a truck/suv...front end too flat and long...it just doesn't do it for me or wife..the thing is there really isn't anything out there except for another ML that I really like but I have to get something soon...hate the pressure

Ensoniq 02-14-2014 08:51 PM

I bought the ML350 4matic

My second choice and it was a hard one was a loaded q5 turbo diesel.

I didn't think as much of the lexus but it was still decent.

The test drives added clarity for us.

Nanook 02-14-2014 08:53 PM

Yea I agree the ML is nicer ...but the Germans are at least 10-20K more

Oh Cool 02-14-2014 09:32 PM

Just go for another Benz :)

tasho3 02-15-2014 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 5942869)
Yup I agree..after driving my ML63 and getting into an RX it just seems so blah..everything is smooth with no detail..hate that curvy console and HATE that shifter...but..it's not going to be me driving it..Sorry but the GLK looks like a cross between a truck/suv...front end too flat and long...it just doesn't do it for me or wife..the thing is there really isn't anything out there except for another ML that I really like but I have to get something soon...hate the pressure

Thought I'd throw it out there in case you had not thought if it. I think you'd regret getting the Lexus. Have you looked at Cayenne's?

Nanook 02-15-2014 12:25 AM

Yes but as mentioned it's for my wife and also $$ is a consideration..the Lexus has some certain appeal to the female crowd..not to say the Cayenne does not but I'm not sure what it is..and since she'll be driving it I guess it will ultimately be her decision..I just have to pay for it :)

27T 02-15-2014 04:29 AM

The RX is an attractive package; reliable, high resale, arguably attractive, comfortable interior, fits in tight spaces (easier to park) and a good value.

The MDX is a great car in many ways. It's larger than the RX so if space is needed, it will be a smarter choice. It has the same attributes as above plus it's a new generation. The RX has been around since 2010.

The Infiniti JX/QX60 is very large (wider and longer) and a good car all around as above. The FX/QX70 is fast but not very friendly for women drivers due to stiff steering and harsh and loud ride.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the RX, MDX or QX60. It depends on needs...with these three, it is all about space. Looks are subjective so to each their own but none of these are offensive. IMO, they each have their respective assets in the looks dept. It's for your wife so the sooner this gets handled the better life will be...give her this general rundown of all three and let her choose. Good luck.

Waykool plantz 02-15-2014 06:05 AM

Audi Q5 has yet to be mentioned...or Mccann (or whatever the new Porsche is)..GLA coming soon.
Beyond me why Infiniti even exists..the brand would never be missed...like a cold sore best thing about it is when it's gone.

2012MLBlue 02-15-2014 09:35 AM

One of my employees has a new RX and I think its pretty boring but of course likely great quality and will hold its value.

What about the all new Toyota Highlander? I like the new look and again, quality and high resale down the road.

Nanook 02-15-2014 03:16 PM

I bought the RX today..yeah kinda boring interior..odd exterior lines but it gets bonus points for service / reliability and resale...and it's not me driving but she'll be pleased none the less.

27T 02-15-2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Waykool plantz (Post 5943164)
Beyond me why Infiniti even exists..the brand would never be missed...like a cold sore best thing about it is when it's gone.

Cool story.

Good luck with your herpes.

27T 02-15-2014 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 5943543)
I bought the RX today..yeah kinda boring interior..odd exterior lines but it gets bonus points for service / reliability and resale...and it's not me driving but she'll be pleased none the less.

Last thing you want is to worry about reliability with the wifey's car. Can't go wrong with Japanese.

Nanook 02-15-2014 05:39 PM

Dealer was very pliable..Feb sales must be typical..very low..got them to throw in
-body side mouldings
-remote start (two way)
-rear cargo tray
-3m film front clip/hood/mirrors
-sales taxes

I think I got a helluv a deal..they probably think they made a helluva sale..good all around..local economy gains

Opted for a new 2014 RX350 with Technology Package

Absolute beautiful new dealership..free spa..simulated golf..free service for life...loaners..shuttle..etc..they have 1 of the 5 only LFA's in Canada

https://www.google.ca/maps/preview/u...d=0CJYBEKIqMA0

http://gpchase.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v...43736334-5.jpg

2012MLBlue 02-15-2014 05:57 PM

Free service for life? All oil changes and routine maintenance? Sounds great!

Nanook 02-15-2014 06:07 PM

Yeah the services are crazy...you can leave your car..they drive you to airport...they detail car for free...they will come to your home and pick up the car for service..

shortspark 02-16-2014 06:47 AM

My Mercedes dealer also does these things. I live 40 miles away in the country and they come up and leave a loner car, take my ML away and return it after service all washed and cleaned. That saves me a lot of time and bother. I brought the car in myself for the A maintenance and they offered to drive me to a restaurant and pick me up while my car was being serviced. I can go in any time and they will wash it for free even if I don't buy anything or have any service done. I give the washer a gratuity of course but the point is the car wash is free. And I did not even buy the car at this dealership! This kind of service is one reason why I don't even look at other brands of automobiles.

cyclrder 02-19-2014 12:05 AM

I would have looked hard at the whatever the fancy jeep is... It is basically a ML :)in American drag.... The Lexus will be the perfect wife.... Never the hot mistress.... Kinda like buying Pirelli winter and ice and not the scorpion winter...:eek:

Streamliner 02-20-2014 10:19 AM

For many years, I always had a pristine SL in the garage, for nice, sunny days and my daily driver was a Lexus LS. I had 8 brand new ones, until I got a new S550 in 2013. Now, I can NEVER go back. When I would get my Lexus cars serviced, they would loan me an RX and I liked them. When I felt I needed a utility vehicle, I went to buy one about 6 months ago. Well, whomever Lexus let loose in their design department needs to be taken away by the men in white coats. That front end with their "spindle" grill is absolutely horrible. Opt for the "Sports" model and the ugliness factor goes up ten fold, at least INMHO. After being a long time, very dedicated Lexus customer, I truly feel that the brand has lost its way, while MB has doubled down on making their vehicles so much better. A bit off subject, but have you seen the new Lexus GX? It reminds one of the "Family Truckster" from the old "Vacation" movie with Chevy Chase. Someone over at Lexus design is mainlining some heavy stuff and they must be a close relative of someone at the top of Toyota management. Bye-bye Lexus, hello ML350BT. My special order ML is starting in the paint shop in Vance, TODAY!

Nanook 02-20-2014 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by cyclrder (Post 5947198)
I would have looked hard at the whatever the fancy jeep is... It is basically a ML :)in American drag.... The Lexus will be the perfect wife.... Never the hot mistress.... Kinda like buying Pirelli winter and ice and not the scorpion winter...:eek:

If I wanted another ML I would have bought one..if I wanted a piece of junk i would have bought the Jeep..and the Pirelli winter and ice are Scorpions..

Nanook 02-20-2014 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 5948803)
For many years, I always had a pristine SL in the garage, for nice, sunny days and my daily driver was a Lexus LS. I had 8 brand new ones, until I got a new S550 in 2013. Now, I can NEVER go back. When I would get my Lexus cars serviced, they would loan me an RX and I liked them. When I felt I needed a utility vehicle, I went to buy one about 6 months ago. Well, whomever Lexus let loose in their design department needs to be taken away by the men in white coats. That front end with their "spindle" grill is absolutely horrible. Opt for the "Sports" model and the ugliness factor goes up ten fold, at least INMHO. After being a long time, very dedicated Lexus customer, I truly feel that the brand has lost its way, while MB has doubled down on making their vehicles so much better. A bit off subject, but have you seen the new Lexus GX? It reminds one of the "Family Truckster" from the old "Vacation" movie with Chevy Chase. Someone over at Lexus design is mainlining some heavy stuff and they must be a close relative of someone at the top of Toyota management. Bye-bye Lexus, hello ML350BT. My special order ML is starting in the paint shop in Vance, TODAY!

I agree the Lexus is ready for a make over..and the GX and LX are hideous...it's a tough call when as a customer you have to give up appearance for service/reliability..

SEXYBEEST 02-20-2014 09:47 PM

my good friend has an rx, i would of gone for the rrs

Nanook 02-20-2014 09:58 PM

Buddy has one..it sees the inside of the dealership more than his garage...dunno why but does..and again..it is my wife's drive and her first choice was another MDX (no thanks)

ChrisMclass 02-21-2014 04:54 AM

I have never been a big fan of Lexus, they are overpriced Toyotas IMO. Don't even mention the new spindle grille styling, they make me wanna puke!
We still have my wifes 2003 Highlander V6 and it's the same damn thing as the RX300 and they always will be. Mind you our Toy does have 192K on it and we replaced the timing belt for the 1st time at 180K but the feel is still cheapo.

For our main vehicle we choose the new Acadia for size and versatility as well as the luxury appointments it offered for the price. But with that said the RX will be reliable for many years to come.

Anyways congrats on your purchase Nanook. The important thing is you and your wife are happy with it. BTW I'm noticing a trend, black ML, black RX... maybe a black Vette in your future??