MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   ML 350 Frozen Command screen (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/534320-ml-350-frozen-command-screen.html)

aylmerdriver 03-13-2014 05:58 PM

ML 350 Frozen Command screen

Hey!

I have a 2012 merc ML 350. So over the last few days, the command just freezes up, and shuts down while driving...it then automatically starts up again with the Merc logo and the standard warning.

Another funny thing I noticed..if I start up the system right now, I can click on one function (phone or GPS or media etc) and once that function is clicked, it freezes up. So if I have I hit the radio button, the radio will play, but I will not be able to change the station or go to Navi.

If I hit Navi, it will just freeze with the map showing.

Is it wishful thinking that this is just a really simple fix?! :)

Any ideas? opinions?!

Benz Werd 03-14-2014 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by aylmerdriver (Post 5973054)
Hey!

I have a 2012 merc ML 350. So over the last few days, the command just freezes up, and shuts down while driving...it then automatically starts up again with the Merc logo and the standard warning.

Another funny thing I noticed..if I start up the system right now, I can click on one function (phone or GPS or media etc) and once that function is clicked, it freezes up. So if I have I hit the radio button, the radio will play, but I will not be able to change the station or go to Navi.

If I hit Navi, it will just freeze with the map showing.

Is it wishful thinking that this is just a really simple fix?! :)

Any ideas? opinions?!

Wow, this is a new one!

I hope you still have warranty my friend :eek:

Yeah, hopefully it's an easy fix! Please keep us informed of the outcome.

fabbrisd1 03-15-2014 12:41 AM

Dealer diagnostic protocol would be to wipe/reprogram existing COMAND... if that does not solve the problem then new COMAND is ordered and installed... takes 3-4 working days to receive the new unit..

aylmerdriver 03-17-2014 03:00 PM

Hey,

Sorry for my late reply!

That is the crappy part...it is out of warranty :(

any suggestion of mechanics in the GTA that comes recommended? prefer to stay out of the Mercedes dealership and their unique price points....

Benz Werd 03-17-2014 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by aylmerdriver (Post 5976504)
Hey,

Sorry for my late reply!

That is the crappy part...it is out of warranty :(

any suggestion of mechanics in the GTA that comes recommended? prefer to stay out of the Mercedes dealership and their unique price points....

Wow, the car is only 2 years old? Is that normal? I know the USA has extended warranties available, but we don't over here. Our warranties are just a standard 3 years with unlimited kilometres, which sucks. MBAuP keep saying they're looking into introducing something, but they've been saying that for about 3 years now. I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway I'm sorry if I offended you, I only made that cheeky remark because I assumed your car being a 2012 model would definitely have warranty left.

Hope you can get it sorted easily and cheaply without having to go to MB. Are you in Australia by any chance? If so I can probably put you onto a guy in Melbourne who can assist.

Please keep us updated!

Cheers :cheers:

Barry45RPM 03-18-2014 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by AussieBenzLover (Post 5976925)
Wow, the car is only 2 years old? Is that normal? I know the USA has extended warranties available, but we don't over here. Our warranties are just a standard 3 years with unlimited kilometres, which sucks. MBAuP keep saying they're looking into introducing something, but they've been saying that for about 3 years now. I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway I'm sorry if I offended you, I only made that cheeky remark because I assumed your car being a 2012 model would definitely have warranty left.

Hope you can get it sorted easily and cheaply without having to go to MB. Are you in Australia by any chance? If so I can probably put you onto a guy in Melbourne who can assist.

Please keep us updated!

Cheers :cheers:

Wow! ...only a skimpy 3 yr factory warranty? How do they sell any vehicles with a manufacturer's confidence level like that. The price of an "Extended warranty" is calculated so that the importer/distributor of the vehicles will always come out ahead when averaging all warrantees sold $$ vs all warranty $$ totals paid out.

Are there aftermarket warranty companies down under that offer at least some protection? I've always said "I'd have to be crazy to own a Benz out of warranty" ...but that is the situation I'm in right now with my '07 E550/77,000 mile car. Its perfect and I love it, but I can wake up one morning to face an overwhelming repair and then have to dump it as a dealer trade on a new one which puts me in a bad bargaining position. :zoom:

Benz Werd 03-18-2014 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 5977400)
Wow! ...only a skimpy 3 yr factory warranty? How do they sell any vehicles with a manufacturer's confidence level like that. The price of an "Extended warranty" is calculated so that the importer/distributor of the vehicles will always come out ahead when averaging all warrantees sold $$ vs all warranty $$ totals paid out.

Are there aftermarket warranty companies down under that offer at least some protection? I've always said "I'd have to be crazy to own a Benz out of warranty" ...but that is the situation I'm in right now with my '07 E550/77,000 mile car. Its perfect and I love it, but I can wake up one morning to face an overwhelming repair and then have to dump it as a dealer trade on a new one which puts me in a bad bargaining position. :zoom:

I know, it's like MB are so up themselves and just know people will buy their product no matter what they do/don't offer, which in the end, if we want it bad enough, we do. What adds more salt to the wound is the extra 85% I paid for my car on top of what it would have cost in the US.

BMW offer an extended warranty, not sure about the others. But BMW is MB's biggest rival.

As far as aftermarket warranties go I did look into it when I ordered my car 18 months ago and I was told Allianz offer something for German cars but it's still nowhere near as good as a proper MB warranty, there's alot of things not covered, so probably not worth it for the money. I am also told I can purchase a policy anytime before my current factory warranty expires so I've got plenty of time to ponder over it for now.

I love my car too, but hate the thought of still owning it without warranty, but I'm not sure if I'll be in a position to replace it with a new one before the warranty expires.

Shrdlu 03-18-2014 01:01 PM

I had a problem with my Command system--intermittent error message of a "metadata" failure--which was easily fixed by the dealer with a software update. If yours is caused by something other than SW, things may not be so simple. Suggest try the SW route first.

rojorin 03-18-2014 01:49 PM

Warranty is 4 years or 50K Miles, whichever comes first is the USA. 2012 could have already reached 50K miles and be out of warranty.

aylmerdriver 03-18-2014 05:17 PM

The car does come with a 4year or 80,000km warranty (Toronto, ONT Canada)

Just my luck, about a week after i got the car I got had to change jobs...kinda bitter sweet, i make the same $$ but only work twice a week...but have to drive ~180km each way... so ~350km a week...plus a trip here and there and BOOM i am a little over 90k right now.

can't wait till i have to pay the 'over km fee', which is 35cents/km!!!!

seeing a mechanic tomorrow, he said he will hook it up and see if it shows any error..

quick q...if it does come to having to do a 'fresh instal' of the software, do private mechanics have the files?

I assume MB wouldn't give them out to private guys?

and to answer your previous question, no not Australia :)

fabbrisd1 03-18-2014 11:58 PM

Don't waste your time with a "mechanic" - a indie will not have access to reflash/rebott the COMAND system..