MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Anyone Have an ML350 WITH Active Curve??? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/542048-anyone-have-ml350-active-curve.html)

Streamliner 05-13-2014 03:04 PM

Anyone Have an ML350 WITH Active Curve???

I'm interested in hearing from owners of either the ML350, ML350 4-Matic or ML350 BlueTEC vehicles, that have the Special Order "ACTIVE CURVE" suspension upgrade.
I took delivery of 2014 ML350BT a few weeks ago. It has AirMatic and Active Curve, with the standard, 19" wheels and All Season Tires. I was never able to test drive a vehicle like this, as they are, virtually, nonexistent on a dealer's lot.
Now that I have it, I am convinced that the ride, over bumps, at slower speeds, is reasonably harsher than a vehicle without Active Curve. When I go over intersection dips, at maybe 25mph, I sometimes get that "bucking bronco" feeling, which I don't remember ever feeling when I test drove a plain vanilla ML350, before I placed my order. I also feel that the suspension isn't dampened as much as I remember, as I get the feeling that something is "clunking" in the rear suspension when I go over bumps at lower speeds. Is there anyone out there who can confirm my feelings?
Thanks.
P.S. At higher speeds or through twisty turns, the vehicle is amazing and it truly does feel as though it is riding on rails! Absolutely NO BODY ROLL. That part, I love.

Shrdlu 05-13-2014 05:31 PM

I have a 2012 BlueTEC with Airmatic and Active Curve, plus 20-inch wheels which were part of an introductory package at the time.

Do you have the button that switches between "sport" and "comfort" suspension settings? I drive in "sport" 90 percent of the time and do experience some bucking over railroad crossings and abrupt dips in the road. No clunking, however. The comfort setting softens the suspension and raises the chassis about one inch. I find it makes for a noticeably smoother ride.

Streamliner 05-13-2014 05:48 PM

Yes, I have the switch and I drive most of the time in the "comfort" setting. Actually, I don't experience the "clunk" noises when in sport, but I don't like the rough ride. Oh well.

mist68 05-13-2014 06:09 PM

I have a GL550 with Active Curve and On/Off Road. In comfort, it is amazingly calm-almost serene. When I hit "sport" which with On/Off Road changes not only suspension, but also remaps throttle response, transmission shift points and steering, it isn a different animal. For its size, it is somewhat amazing.

Oh Cool 05-14-2014 11:26 AM

I have the Active Curve w/20" wheels mostly set in the comfort mode and no clunking. Your tire pressures could be a factor or spare tire if you have one. Another thought could be an Airmatic shock with a problem.

gplank 05-14-2014 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner (Post 6040750)
I'm interested in hearing from owners of either the ML350, ML350 4-Matic or ML350 BlueTEC vehicles, that have the Special Order "ACTIVE CURVE" suspension upgrade.
I took delivery of 2014 ML350BT a few weeks ago. It has AirMatic and Active Curve, with the standard, 19" wheels and All Season Tires. I was never able to test drive a vehicle like this, as they are, virtually, nonexistent on a dealer's lot.
Now that I have it, I am convinced that the ride, over bumps, at slower speeds, is reasonably harsher than a vehicle without Active Curve. When I go over intersection dips, at maybe 25mph, I sometimes get that "bucking bronco" feeling, which I don't remember ever feeling when I test drove a plain vanilla ML350, before I placed my order. I also feel that the suspension isn't dampened as much as I remember, as I get the feeling that something is "clunking" in the rear suspension when I go over bumps at lower speeds. Is there anyone out there who can confirm my feelings?
Thanks.
P.S. At higher speeds or through twisty turns, the vehicle is amazing and it truly does feel as though it is riding on rails! Absolutely NO BODY ROLL. That part, I love.

I have a 2013 ML550 with ActiveCurve, AIRMATIC and 20 inc wheels. I definitely don't have the issues your describing. So, I'd have it checked out by the dealer, and if they don't come up with a fix, then I'd take it to a non-dealer shop for an second opinion.

I never use the Sports mode, since I find it so rough and bouncy that it can make my passengers and even me feel a little queasy.

I've never done a side-by-side comparison to an ML with the standard suspension.

Maybe you should do a test drive of an ML off the dealer lot with both...just to put your mind at ease. If your SA is worth anything, they should help you with this.