Loud A/C Condenser Kick On Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350, 2012 AM Vantage S Roadster
Loud A/C Condenser Kick On Noise

Hey guys,

1100 miles on my brand new ML350 gasser in a little over a week. Loving every single bit of it.

Something concerning me though and before I call the dealership and go through the "bring it in" process... figured I'd ask here first. Did a search and came up blank so here it goes:

I've noticed that with my ML the A/C condenser kicks on after about 3-5 seconds from the car starting. Just enough time for the revs to come down during the starting process.

2 or 3 times now, the A/C kick on has made this awful noise that isn't too loud but loud enough that you noticed it. I've only heard this from inside the cabin but to best describe it... take a 1-2 sound clip of a harley accelerating down a street and that's what it sounds like. Nothing vibrates, shakes, stalls, or feels odd... just has this audible noise. Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 ML350 BlueTec
It should not be making this noise. Could be the compressor clutch. Have you checked to make sure the belt is tensioned correctly?

Do what you can to be able to predict it making the noise so you can let the dealer hear it. Or make a recording.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:39 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
That doesnt sound right at all. Never heard such a noise on mine on any other W166. Are you sure this is from the AC?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350, 2012 AM Vantage S Roadster
I'm starting to hear this a little more often now. It's always at the exact same time and I'm 99.99999% sure it's the A/C compressor kicking on. I'm going to try and get a video of it for you guys as well as when I go in for service.

The actual A/C kick on in our car is pretty well delayed. For example, if you run in to a store really quick, jump back in your car, start it and throw it in drive/reverse really quick... you'll be accelerating nearly exact to when the A/C compressor turns on.

This is how I noticed the sound in the first place... when the A/C compressor kicked on and I'm accelerating out of a parking spot, the noise is 50x worse but only for 1-2 seconds then all is well.