MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   2015 ML250 Bluetech (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/545003-2015-ml250-bluetech.html)

MichelleW 06-08-2014 03:23 PM

2015 ML250 Bluetech

Hi. I'm looking for your opinions please. I recently had my 2010 ML350 Bluetech stolen (LOVED that car). My dealer couldn't find me a 2014 with the options that I wanted so I'd decided to order a 2015. In the middle of sitting down with the dealer, he said "you do know that the new ML will be built with the four cylinder engine". I thought that I was ok with that but then they gave me a GLK Bluetech to drive until my new ML arrives in September. I'm not overly impressed. Now I'm worried that the vehicle that I ordered (which I can still cancel), won't live up to my expectations. I've upgraded it to the tune of about $76,000 so I really don't want to make a mistake. I'm especially worried that Mercedes will "reintroduce" the 6 cyl. Diesel engine and then I'll be stuck. What do ya'll think?? Should I try to find a 2014 and settle for what options I can find??
The two things most important to me is real leather and distronic.....

fabbrisd1 06-08-2014 05:35 PM

If you have added/up a ML-BT to MSRP to $76K to give you the options you want and deserve - however you have expressed a legitimate personal concern - I would suggest you consider ordering a 2015 GL350 - which will give you what you love about your retired ML - and much/much more !

Mercedes changed the benchmark on the 2015 ML BlueTech to bring about increased fuel economy - in line with their marketing "success" with the 2014 E250 sedan in the world wide market.

From my side - and I think you share this with me - the new 2 benchmark is not in line with what I personally want for my driving experience.

Keep the beat !

xMB007x 06-08-2014 05:50 PM

What do you not like about the GLK (looks, quality, or driving dynamics)? The same engine in the ML will make it approximately 1 second slower to 60 mi/h than the GLK. $76k seems quite expensive, is that U.S. or Canadian pricing? IMO, I would try to find a remaining 2014 350bt or even a used one. Also for $76k I would be looking to order a ML400/550 or even a GL as fabbrisd suggested.

MichelleW 06-08-2014 06:24 PM

Thank you both for your replies! I really appreciate it. I'm in the USA. Yes, it is a lot for an ML but I pretty much added every option possible with just a few exceptions. I live in the mountains and therefore am climbing hills often. My 2010 had just the right amount of pep for me. What I don't like about the GLK is the power. It's not bad driving around town but when on the highway if someone in front of me slows down or a truck gets in my way, I seem to be pleading with the car to get up and go again! Truthfully, I just miss my old ML and despise the guy that stole it. I really wasn't planning on having to make this decision nor was I planning on a big fat car payment again. I do think that I'll check out the GL350 Bluetech as well. Anyone out there have one and if so, how's the acceleration? Thanks so much!!

audimotion 06-08-2014 08:22 PM

We have a 2012 ml350 bluetec. The passing power and acceleration are excellent. The vehicle has so much power it RARELY downshift s when going up hills or passing. Coming from a 2006 ML500 (v8), the overall feeling of power is similar.
The ml500 was quicker, but the bluetec does everything with such ease and efficiency.
Recently trailered a 19' boat with the bluetec and it pulled like nothing was behind it...

fabbrisd1 06-08-2014 08:28 PM

You know have a direction - 2015 GL350 - which will give you what you love about your retired ML - and much/much more !

Strafzettel 06-08-2014 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 (Post 6067133)
You know have a direction - 2015 GL350 - which will give you what you love about your retired ML - and much/much more !

Isn't the GL350 a bit slow being a lot heavier than the ML?

MichelleW 06-09-2014 01:51 AM

At least I can actually go drive the GL350 prior to ordering it....I'm going to try my best to find a 2014 ML350 first.

PureNick 06-09-2014 02:59 AM

Can you explain exactly what options you're looking for?

27T 06-09-2014 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by MichelleW (Post 6066902)
Hi. I'm looking for your opinions please. I recently had my 2010 ML350 Bluetech stolen (LOVED that car). My dealer couldn't find me a 2014 with the options that I wanted so I'd decided to order a 2015. In the middle of sitting down with the dealer, he said "you do know that the new ML will be built with the four cylinder engine". I thought that I was ok with that but then they gave me a GLK Bluetech to drive until my new ML arrives in September. I'm not overly impressed. Now I'm worried that the vehicle that I ordered (which I can still cancel), won't live up to my expectations. I've upgraded it to the tune of about $76,000 so I really don't want to make a mistake. I'm especially worried that Mercedes will "reintroduce" the 6 cyl. Diesel engine and then I'll be stuck. What do ya'll think?? Should I try to find a 2014 and settle for what options I can find??
The two things most important to me is real leather and distronic.....

It sounds like the 350BT engine is most important given the hills you are conquering every day. I'd say, get real with yourself about what is most important and then go from there. You will love the new gen BT much more than your 2010.

MichelleW 06-09-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by PureNick (Post 6067399)
Can you explain exactly what options you're looking for?

Yes. Power is important. In addition, I'd like real leather, distronic and premium package 1. Exterior color in some form of white or silver and interior almond or grey. I'm willing to spend up to $75k and would like the car to be nicely equipped. As I had mentioned previously, I had ordered one pretty much fully loaded and was pretty excited about that until I realized what the 4 cylinder diesel was like. :)

Thanks again for everyone's feedback, I really appreciate it!!

HAILERS2 06-09-2014 08:22 AM

I'm glad you realized that small four cylinder engine is going to be a slug and make you have buyers regret if you went thru with the deal.

I belive that GL350 weighs about seven hundred pounds more than the ML350 Bluetec. Read some reviews by Car and Driver for the GL350 or drive one like you said.

I thought about buying a Sprinter van for traveling. It has the 350 Bluetec engine but weighs about two thousand pounds more than a ML350 with the same power. That was an automatic no-go for me right there.

I've a 2014 ML350 Bluetec and travel on the interstates and up and down the mountains with ease. I believe it has thirty more horse power than your stolen 2010. Just saying you'd love a 2014 ML350 if you loved your 2010. Don't settle for that four banger 190hp one, You'll regret it.

MichelleW 06-09-2014 09:59 AM

Thank you!
I own two Sprinters for my business. One is a 2007 Dodge Sprinter and the other a new 2014 Mercedes Sprinter. The 2007 is a 6 cylinder and the new one is the 4 cylinder. HUGE difference. I wasn't too concerned about the power on the Sprinter since my employees drive it and it's mostly around town.
The mpg is great but it's also great in the 2007.
I appreciate your feedback on the 2014 ML. The ML is my first choice so today will be spent searching one out. I visited a friend last night that has the GL (but a gas version) and he loves his. It's a lot bigger than what I need but if I can't find an ML that'll be plan B.

Thanks again for everyone's time! This feedback is great!!

Barry45RPM 06-09-2014 11:53 AM

I also believe that MBUSA will reintroduce the BT350 after the public expresses that doesn't like the 250 in such a heavy vehicle.

GregGebhardt 06-09-2014 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 6067686)
I also believe that MBUSA will reintroduce the BT350 after the public expresses that doesn't like the 250 in such a heavy vehicle.

Maybe in other countires but not in the USA. The EPA and CAFE standards are tough and getting tougher!:zoom:

DUTCH 06-09-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by GregGebhardt (Post 6067737)
Maybe in other countires but not in the USA. The EPA and CAFE standards are tough and getting tougher!:zoom:

True, but MBUSA refuses to bring in the G in a diesel; and that would help their EPA and CAFE numbers too. Go figure

My 2014 ML350BTC might be available this Fall, depending on what Audi does with their 2015 Q7 TDI.

GregGebhardt 06-09-2014 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by DUTCH (Post 6067901)
True, but MBUSA refuses to bring in the G in a diesel; and that would help their EPA and CAFE numbers too. Go figure

My 2014 ML350BTC might be available this Fall, depending on what Audi does with their 2015 Q7 TDI.

I test drove several Audi cars and SUV. They are nice vehicles:)

DUTCH 06-09-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by GregGebhardt (Post 6067960)
I test drove several Audi cars and SUV. They are nice vehicles:)

I had a 2010 Q7 TDI that was traded for the ML350BTC. Big mistake!

The ML has a better dash, cluster and sound system (HK), but that's about it.

The Q7 drove better and smoother with its Airmatic suspension. The Airmatic on the ML rattles when going over speed bumps. Feels like I'm driving a Chevy compared to a luxury German SUV like the Q7. The Q7's transmission was smooth as silk. The ML's tranny is a hard shifter both up and down with engine flare before the drive train is fully warmed up.

The ML has been one of my bigger disappointments. Depending on what Audi does with their 2015 Q7 TDI, the ML will almost certainly be traded for one.

Just my personal opinion as determined by the seat of my pants in both vehicles.

MichelleW 06-09-2014 05:24 PM

So, today's search didn't go the way I planned. There are absolutely no ML350 Bluetech's out there equipped with what I want.
So, I'm having my dealer get me a ML550. There's only two left out there with the equipment that I'm looking for so I snatched one up.
I hope that I love it as much as my diesel. I drove one today and it seems to have lots of power!

MannyS430 06-09-2014 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by MichelleW (Post 6068121)
So, today's search didn't go the way I planned. There are absolutely no ML350 Bluetech's out there equipped with what I want.
So, I'm having my dealer get me a ML550. There's only two left out there with the equipment that I'm looking for so I snatched one up.
I hope that I love it as much as my diesel. I drove one today and it seems to have lots of power!

my mom just got a 2014 GLK bluetec, its is pretty nice, peppy and the engine suits that car. I don't see how that 4cyl bluetec will haul around a heavier ML and get good fuel consumption.

I just got a 2014ML bluetec, and i just love it. The power is great, my daughter has plenty of room, and I can fit my two dogs in the back as well. (my dad had a 2010,then a 2012 ML bluetec, he let me use it for a month while on vacation, and I loved it)

I recently just took my mom's GLK BT to the car wash, and I check her overall fuel economy and it was around 9.2L/100km she does about half city/half hwy. My ML gets the same mileage and I have a heavier foot.

If you live in a lot of mountains, I wouldn't get the 4cyl, it doesn't have the torque of the 6cyl. you will be dissapointed for sure.

the ML550 has a lot more power, but don't expect to get the fuel consumption you were used to. good luck

27T 06-10-2014 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by MichelleW (Post 6068121)

The 550 has incredible power for the money. Blows the BT away.

miked807 06-10-2014 07:51 AM

MB BT vs Audi TDI Vs GMC/FORD

Originally Posted by DUTCH (Post 6068102)
The ML has been one of my bigger disappointments. Depending on what Audi does with their 2015 Q7 TDI, the ML will almost certainly be traded for one.

Just my personal opinion as determined by the seat of my pants in both vehicles.

Firstly; Sorry to chip in this late - just saw this posting...so having my 0.02c worth!:X
Being an OLD DUDE & a farmers son - we grew up on Diesel engines ....so for me there is not much that would compare with the TORQUE & POWER (same engine size) when compared to petrol engine.

I am recently retired and was looking for a DISEAL ENGINE smaller SUV for our LIFELONG PLANNED ROAD TRIP around "America" - Canada to Alaska to Southern most MEXICO and back.

I have had ML320 few yrs ago and also had a GL350BT, and only reason I got the GLK250BT was that Q5 didn't come with DIESEL (at the time of my ordering - a week too early for Audi announced Q5 with Tdi)..

We have a brand New Q7TDI for delivery in July (fully loaded with every option you can get.. and than some...) which we be picking up for rest of our trip from July onwards..... and that's how disappointed we are with MB. I have been a MB user since 1990s as most of all my Cooperate life was driving their top brands. After driving Audi R8 , nothing compare's of any AMG ! (and I have driven them all while I lived in Europe - miss my V10 TDi !!!!)

Also, MB sprinters; though they have the same engine size - is totally different engine block and setup. yes its the same in Dodge of past ....as MB was too SHY to have their brands.... but couldn't stop the ENGINE MAKER (where MB, Audi, VW; BMW and FIAT etc all get their engines from the SAME MFG'er/SUPPLIER)

ML500 is nice but you will be missing that luxury and torque for the same money( or maybe less) Audi would been a better choice IMHO...

Good luck and happy motoring < sorry ipad 3g/4g sucks>...:zoom:

GregGebhardt 06-10-2014 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by DUTCH (Post 6068102)

The ML has a better dash, cluster and sound system (HK), but that's about it.

The Q7 drove better and smoother with its Airmatic suspension. The Airmatic on the ML rattles when going over speed bumps. Feels like I'm driving a Chevy compared to a luxury German SUV like the Q7. The Q7's transmission was smooth as silk. The ML's tranny is a hard shifter both up and down with engine flare before the drive train is fully warmed up.

LOL! I found I like the MB way better than the Audi! Go figure:nix:

MichelleW 06-10-2014 10:16 AM

Thanks again for all of the feedback! My preference was to get the ML350 BTC however it just doesn't exist out there with what I want on it. I refuse to get a $70k+ vehicle with fake plastic seats. It goes against everything that I believe in. With that said, the only vehicle that I could find with the options/color that I want was the 550. Even at that, there were only two left in the USA with what I wanted on them. One dealer wasn't willing to give theirs up and the other thankfully dealer traded with my dealer. My dealer had a used 2012 on the lot and I test drove that. I fell in love with the power. I'm sure that I'm going to fall in love with my local gas station too but hey, spending $80k - what's an extra $1k/ year in fuel gonna hurt?
If anyone has any feedback on the ML550 I'd love to hear it!
I hope I'm making the right decision......

GregGebhardt 06-10-2014 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by MichelleW (Post 6068865)
Thanks again for all of the feedback! My preference was to get the ML350 BTC however it just doesn't exist out there with what I want on it. I refuse to get a $70k+ vehicle with fake plastic seats. It goes against everything that I believe in. With that said, the only vehicle that I could find with the options/color that I want was the 550. Even at that, there were only two left in the USA with what I wanted on them. One dealer wasn't willing to give theirs up and the other thankfully dealer traded with my dealer. My dealer had a used 2012 on the lot and I test drove that. I fell in love with the power. I'm sure that I'm going to fall in love with my local gas station too but hey, spending $80k - what's an extra $1k/ year in fuel gonna hurt?
If anyone has any feedback on the ML550 I'd love to hear it!
I hope I'm making the right decision......

I think you will enjoy, no matter what! I really did not buy my 350BT to save on fuel costs, there are much cheaper choices. You get what you want and be happy! I left my 2013 LX570 for my MB and have not looked back!

Enjoy and keep us posted!