MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Flat spot in acceleration while cornering w BT? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/549370-flat-spot-acceleration-while-cornering-w-bt.html)

DFW01E55 07-17-2014 07:08 PM

Flat spot in acceleration while cornering w BT?

Anyone experience a lull or interruption in power when cornering?
It only lasts a second or so, right about at the apex, but I don't like it.
When my foot says go ... I wanna' feel that torque!

I will comment that this thing is a 5,000lb rocket on highway acceleration.

Strafzettel 07-17-2014 09:18 PM

The other day I was trying to quickly get off the parking lot before the oncoming car got too close and at first the ML jumped forward but then the system kicked in and almost stopped the car. I think that the wheels lost traction by jumping off the curb and the ESP hit the breaks.

Baloo588 07-18-2014 12:05 AM

No issues with our 2013 blutec. Smooth as butter at all speeds and gears. The car already has 43k miles and is going great.

ChuckinTucson 07-18-2014 01:03 AM

I have the same problem on a '13ML350BT. I noticed it last when I was turning left to go onto a freeway on-ramp. As it was an on-ramp, I put my foot in it, but nothing happened for a second or two. Very disconcerting. As I have other issues with it and it's going into the dealership, I'll have them check it out. The rain sensing wipers have lost their mind, the panoramic roof stopped working, it was low on coolant, etc.

350MH83 07-18-2014 02:45 AM

Are you sure this is not just the ESP kicking in? It happens to me as well if I go a little heavier than usual on the right pedal. The car senses that more power will likely induce drift so cuts down the power.

GregGebhardt 07-18-2014 04:52 AM

Is it possible the tranny is not in the right gear and it takes a second for it to downshift in the turn. My ML had never shown this trait and seem to do fine in the turns when I want to accelerate.

Does it do it on every turn?

DUTCH 07-18-2014 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 350MH83 (Post 6107135)
Are you sure this is not just the ESP kicking in? It happens to me as well if I go a little heavier than usual on the right pedal. The car senses that more power will likely induce drift so cuts down the power.

This would be my guess, too.

DFW01E55 07-18-2014 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson (Post 6107067)
I have the same problem on a '13ML350BT. I noticed it last when I was turning left to go onto a freeway on-ramp. As it was an on-ramp, I put my foot in it, but nothing happened for a second or two. Very disconcerting. .....

Thanks, sounds similar, but I wasn't really getting on it, just mild acceleration.

Thanks to the others too, I wasn't pushing for a drift quite yet, it only had 150 miles when that happened.
My first thought was turbo lag, but gear hunting by the new transmission/driving may be valid.

I'll try to recreate it this weekend.

Taymar16 07-19-2014 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by DFW01E55 (Post 6107612)
Thanks, sounds similar, but I wasn't really getting on it, just mild acceleration. Thanks to the others too, I wasn't pushing for a drift quite yet, it only had 150 miles when that happened. My first thought was turbo lag, but gear hunting by the new transmission/driving may be valid. I'll try to recreate it this weekend.

Common issue and complaint with MB. I have experienced this in other models as well. I think they still haven't figured out how to program a 7 speed yet. Now they are looking at going with 9 speed trannys in the future. Get ready JD Power!

DUTCH 07-19-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Taymar16 (Post 6108244)
Common issue and complaint with MB. I have experienced this in other models as well. I think they still haven't figured out how to program a 7 speed yet.

Agreed! Not even after 7+ years of service. Shame on MB!

And the Audi Q7 transmission (made in Japan) is absolutely silky smooth!

Barry45RPM 07-19-2014 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Taymar16 (Post 6108244)
Common issue and complaint with MB. I have experienced this in other models as well. I think they still haven't figured out how to program a 7 speed yet. Now they are looking at going with 9 speed trannys in the future. Get ready JD Power!

That's why now when you start up a "recent" MB, it defaults to a 6 speed at boot up every time. You have to press the button to make it a 7 speed.

It IS a shame.

DUTCH 07-19-2014 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 6108302)
That's why now when you start up a "recent" MB, it defaults to a 6 speed at boot up every time. You have to press the button to make it a 7 speed.

It IS a shame.

That's news to me. What button?

another_geek 07-19-2014 10:24 AM

I think he is referring to the fact that when in comfort mode, you start out in 2nd gear, not 1st, from a start. Only in sport mode does the car start in 1st. this is more for saving fuel and having a smooth start than disabling a gear. This is not just MB that does this.

greasykid 07-19-2014 02:47 PM

Starting in 2nd gear

Originally Posted by another_geek (Post 6108337)
I think he is referring to the fact that when in comfort mode, you start out in 2nd gear, not 1st, from a start. Only in sport mode does the car start in 1st. this is more for saving fuel and having a smooth start than disabling a gear. This is not just MB that does this.

MB has had this feature for many,many years.

DUTCH 07-19-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek (Post 6108337)

My 2014 ML350BTC starts in 1st gear every time, regardless of whether it's in Comfort or Sports mode.

Shrdlu 07-19-2014 05:37 PM

Mine does, too. This 2nd gear start mode must be a gasser-only feature.

GregGebhardt 07-20-2014 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM (Post 6108302)

It IS a shame.

Not on my ML350BT. Starts in first and finds 7th all by itself. :rolleyes:

audi40 07-21-2014 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Strafzettel (Post 6106840)
The other day I was trying to quickly get off the parking lot before the oncoming car got too close and at first the ML jumped forward but then the system kicked in and almost stopped the car. I think that the wheels lost traction by jumping off the curb and the ESP hit the breaks.

Had this same thing happen yesterday under similar circumstances - was doing a rolling (had not come to a stop) right-hand turn out of a parking lot with a slight dip from the lot to the main roadway and when I accelerated out of the lot, felt like the engine suddenly died and the whole car just seized up for second...I literally lurched toward the steering wheel a little bit, it was so abrupt. Was a little scary to say the least, but fortunately there were no close oncoming cars as I pulled out onto the roadway. Car seemed fine after that, but I'd recalled reading this thread previously so it occurred to me that this must've been what I experienced.