M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

(California) front car plates holder options for ML350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
(California) front car plates holder options for ML350

In California, I guess we are required to have the front plates installed. I just checked in with the dealer and he said they'd install them for me once I get the plates but that would mean I would have to get holes drilled in.

Is there any other option that others have tried out and worked for them? Some kind of strong magnetic holder or something else?

The thought of someone drilling a hole into my new puppy is terrifying but if nothing else I'll go with that.

Last edited by dawizard; 07-22-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:44 PM

2014 mercedes ml350
use 3M body emblem tape
Old 07-22-2014, 04:24 PM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by dawizard
In California, I guess we are required to have the front plates installed. I just checked in with the dealer and he said they'd install them for me once I get the plates but that would mean I would have to get holes drilled in.

Is there any other option that others have tried out and worked for them? Some kind of strong magnetic holder or something else?

The thought of someone drilling a hole into my new puppy is terrifying but if nothing else I'll go with that.

If it were me, I would consider not installing it. Its an easy fix-it ticket if on the very far off-chance some cop thinks its worth his time to ticket you over it. I'd keep the front plate in your spare tire space, with double sided tape, so it would be ready to go on. Then you can do it immediately and the cop will have a hard time giving you a ticket if you fix it on the spot.

Next time you sit at a traffic light, notice all the cars stopped and going by and count how many don't have front plates. You'll find about 1 in 10 don't....it just not a thing most cops care about.

But I wonder what others have experienced.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
Did you move from a state where the front plate wasn't required and now live in California? The reason I ask is that Mercedes Benz automatically installs the front license plate bracket on vehicles going to states that require it. I live in Arizona where we don't have front plates, but got an ML that was destined for a California dealer. It has the front bracket on it even though I don't need it.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:30 AM

2013 ML550: Paladium Silver, Brown Satin Ash
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
Did you move from a state where the front plate wasn't required and now live in California? The reason I ask is that Mercedes Benz automatically installs the front license plate bracket on vehicles going to states that require it. I live in Arizona where we don't have front plates, but got an ML that was destined for a California dealer. It has the front bracket on it even though I don't need it.
My ML was indeed purchased in another state, but that state also requires front license plates. But the dealer just gave me the plastic bracket and offered to install it if I wished. It didn't come ore-installed. This was in November 2012. Maybe MBUSA pre-installs them now, or maybe your ML was ordered with the plates holders pre-installed. I notice now that the online build configurator now includes the MB plate holders as an accessory.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350
I purchase in Delaware, which does NOT require a front plate but live in NJ, which requires a front plate. I always ask the dealer to throw the bracket in the cargo area and forget about it. I've been stopped once in 10 or 12 years for no front plate and the cop didn't write me up once he saw everything else was in order.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
No, I live in California itself. I think the car came in straight from their 'distribution center' or whatever that is supposed to mean per the dealer, so it never had anything pre-installed. My dealer had it requested while it was still in holding for allocation so I assume no other state had this prior to it getting delivered here to my dealer
Old 07-23-2014, 02:43 PM

ML350
Originally Posted by jchiu52
use 3M body emblem tape
Does it come off without much struggle or without leaving behind a mess if need be (but stay put on drives otherwise)?

Originally Posted by SmokinReefer
I've been stopped once in 10 or 12 years for no front plate and the cop didn't write me up once he saw everything else was in order.
Interesting stat...though when I was living in the city, I got cited (fixable ticket) within a month of moving here for missing the front plates but then again that time I was parked in a monitored parking lot so they check each vehicle and do crazy stuff for the smallest of things)

Originally Posted by gplank
If it were me, I would consider not installing it. Its an easy fix-it ticket if on the very far off-chance some cop thinks its worth his time to ticket you over it.
Next time you sit at a traffic light, notice all the cars stopped and going by and count how many don't have front plates. You'll find about 1 in 10 don't....it just not a thing most cops care about.

But I wonder what others have experienced.
I never paid attention to other MB's from the front earlier, I'll start taking note. Atleast I have about 60 days till I get my plates!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:24 AM

ML350 2014
I'm in CA as well in the Sacramento area and YES you need to get that front license plate on so that you can avoid any future hassle. Why give the police any more reason to want to pull you over if you can take care of the issue ahead of time? I did not want to drill my bumper as well so I ordered the following:

Bell Automotive 22-1-46230-8 Adjustable Mounting Bracket for License Plate Frame from Amazon
Bracket Bracket

toggle bolt toggle bolt

then purchased 2 toggle bolts and some washers from home depot. You can attach the bracket to the front grille fairly centered and use the toggle bolts to tighten and keep the bracket in place. Then just place the license plate on the bracket and you're all set... I think I had to modify the mounting plate that came with the truck but it was probably just to drill holes and cut off some protruding plastic pieces.

10k miles through 3 states up to 80+ MPH with high wind and rain and the plate is still hanging in place. Some had complained about the bracket rusting but I have not noticed any issues.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 PM

ML-350, Audi Q7, Ford Taurus
I have the reverse question, picking up an CPO and it's already got front license plate on it. I had many other cars prior and none of them have it.
I am going to remove the bracket but any product I can use to seal the hole? there are bumper plugs but not sure if they have it in chrome