MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   What is WRONG with people? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/569611-what-wrong-people.html)

schorert1 01-02-2015 11:22 AM

What is WRONG with people?

Got on the highway today at 5:30 am with exactly two other cars in sight.

I put on distronic at 70mph(as otherwise I'm going 80+ before I know it). I come up behind the first car and move to the left to pass. I stay in the left lane to pass the f150 about 50' in front. As I get near the truck he speeds up. (pet peeve number 1 but whatever). I move over into the right lane behind him and distronic spaces us out to 50' at least. and he slows down again.
what the hell.
as distronic slows me down, I move into the left lane to pass. I go by they guy, and when I'm 15' past him, he speeds up again! so now he's even with my mirror. I haven't touched the gas since I got on the highway a few miles before.
I didn't bother to time how long it took the ML550 to get from 70-120mph, but it wasn't that long. the truck actually seemed to make an initial acceleration but thought better of it. I had half a mile on him pretty quick, put the distronic back on and didn't see him again.
I don't know what motivates people to drive so f-ing counter-intuitively? and i really don't like how easy it is to get me to drive like an even bigger ass.

Barry45RPM 01-02-2015 01:28 PM

Ahhh... but ain't that 5.5L engine supremely awesome?

greasykid 01-02-2015 02:44 PM

Your truck buddy

This behavior is common. It's called "The Herd Instinct"

Kaasmann 01-03-2015 03:40 AM

I once had to go 181 km/h to get by one of those cretins, who otherwise could not exceed 90 km/h in a 110 km/h highway. Thank god I had the power to get by her, yup her.

GregGebhardt 01-03-2015 05:47 AM

Some "people" seem disrespected if you try to pass them. They feel that their speed in the fast lane should set the pace for all others and take great exception to anyone who challenges them.

Be wary as most of these idiots have no experience in driving over 80mph and often find out, too late, that they are not exempt from the laws of physics and wil demonstrate these laws with spectacular results!

couture 01-03-2015 09:20 AM

Also be very aware that these idiots sometimes have guns and will take a shot at you. Happened to friend of mine in Florida on I-95.

DUTCH 01-03-2015 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by couture (Post 6281674)
Also be very aware that these idiots sometimes have guns and will take a shot at you. Happened to friend of mine in Florida on I-95.

Fight crime. Shoot back! :y

EVOII_Racer 01-03-2015 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by couture (Post 6281674)

What??

Are you serious? Where was it exactly ? Near what major City?

Waykool plantz 01-03-2015 02:51 PM

Y'all need to watch out here in Florida.
If them crazy rednecks don't get ya...the Geriatric and texters will.

Shrdlu 01-03-2015 03:10 PM

Are you serious?
I note that you're located in Switzerland. Unlike your courteous drivers, in the States we have a phenomenon called "road rage." Someone gets cut off, for example, and a confrontation ensues, sometimes leading to a fist fight or worse.

couture 01-04-2015 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer (Post 6281806)
What??

Are you serious? Where was it exactly ? Near what major City?

Jacksonville. It is not an unusual occurance in the state of Florida.

schorert1 01-06-2015 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by couture (Post 6282641)
Jacksonville. It is not an unusual occurance in the state of Florida.

Florida has had more than one successful "stand your ground" defense of road rage murder.

EVOII_Racer 01-06-2015 04:24 PM

Wow this is insane :-(

I am once a year between Orlando and Daytona and never excepted crazy things like that possible!

Strafzettel 01-06-2015 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by schorert1 (Post 6280882)
Got on the highway today at 5:30 am with exactly two other cars in sight.

I put on distronic at 70mph(as otherwise I'm going 80+ before I know it). I come up behind the first car and move to the left to pass. I stay in the left lane to pass the f150 about 50' in front. As I get near the truck he speeds up. (pet peeve number 1 but whatever). I move over into the right lane behind him and distronic spaces us out to 50' at least. and he slows down again.
what the hell.
as distronic slows me down, I move into the left lane to pass. I go by they guy, and when I'm 15' past him, he speeds up again! so now he's even with my mirror. I haven't touched the gas since I got on the highway a few miles before.
I didn't bother to time how long it took the ML550 to get from 70-120mph, but it wasn't that long. the truck actually seemed to make an initial acceleration but thought better of it. I had half a mile on him pretty quick, put the distronic back on and didn't see him again.
I don't know what motivates people to drive so f-ing counter-intuitively? and i really don't like how easy it is to get me to drive like an even bigger ass.

Isn't it horrible to have all that power and not being allowed to use it? The speed limit in the Chicago area is 55 and I think getting caught going 120 would be considered reckless and have some kind of jail punishment. I got 2 speeding tickets within one week with my C350 in 2012, after that I drove a lot more slowly and I didn't look happy doing it!