M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

Parking brake issue after rear brake install, need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C350, 2012 ML350
Parking brake issue after rear brake install, need help

Yes - posted this in the brake section with no responses in 4 days, so thought I would try my luck in here.

I did a rear brake job on my '12 ML350 W166 last week and after putting everything back together my electronic parking brake(EPB) won't reset. Before starting the rear brakes I put the rear brakes into service position by:

1. Turn the ignition to Position 1.

2. Make sure the mileage is displayed in the dash center window

3. Don't wait very long before accomplishing the next step: Push the far right "telephone accept call" button on the steering wheel, then push the "OK" button on the left and hold both down for 5 seconds or so.

4. The workshop menu should appear.

5. Scroll down to "Pad replacement" and push OK.

6. Choose OK for "Moving to fitting position"
After installing the new rotors and pads I put everything back together, I tried to "Exit Fitting Position", and I got the "Cond. for Exiting Fitting Position not correct" message. I thought this message would go away after a few days(thought maybe it had to reset) however its been a week and I am still getting the EPB warning message. I am no mechanic by no means but I've done tons of brakes jobs. I have unplugged and plugged back in the EPB many times but still no fix. Anyone have some sound advice?
Old 02-17-2015, 04:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ML350 BT soon......pleeeease. GOT IT NOW....Wooooo
Sure to be the plug......even though you have tried a few times.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML-350
Did you fix this issue? i am doing the rear brake and i would like to findout just in case
Old 03-14-2015, 09:23 AM

2009 C350, 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by joeban
Did you fix this issue? i am doing the rear brake and i would like to findout just in case

Yes, although I would not say I figured it out. The day I did the brakes I could not reset the EPB but I could exit the service mode you put it in to retract the EPB. That being said I drove around with the parking brake not working for about a month, it sucked because you get a warning light on every time you come to a complete stop to let you know that your parking brake is inoperative. Finally I got annoyed and went to take everything back apart but before I did so I entered the service more again to test the exit fitting position once more before I pulled everything off, sure enough it worked. Overall the rear brake job itself is super easy just be prepared it may take some days to get the parking brake to realign or whatever it does. I drove around without for a month since the rear brakes work fine, I was just cautious not to park on steep inclines.

Good Luck
Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
I know this is an old thread, but I revisit it because I recently did the rear brakes on my GL and happened to see this one in advance. For future readers, I believe the OP's issue was that you need to engage the reset process as if you are retracting the electronic parking brakes for the first time. The car needs to be off you need to put the power on, Etc. You can't just start the engine up and try to hit the okay button for resetting the fitment position. The reset takes place under the exact same conditions that the retraction happened. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (04-17-2018)
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 PM

2014 ML350; 2014 E350
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just ran into the same problem, and after searching the internet was unable to find a solution. I did however stumble apon a solution, and I want to share it for those that find themself in this situation in the future.

Error occurs when changing rear pads
"Conditions for Exiting Fitting Position not correct"

When you get this error, PUSH the parking brake button IN to reset. cleared error instantly and allowed be to proceed with putting the pads into and out of fitting position.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
The following 3 users liked this post by knot:
mustbebenz (05-04-2019), peter2772000 (05-06-2019), thegorilla (02-28-2022)
Old 01-05-2020, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL500
Thank you KNOT! Yes, it worked for me! Did the front and rear brakes on a 2016 S550 this weekend. Purchased a caliper spreader (under $20 on amazon) and saved me a bunch of time on the fronts (bummed that I didn't purchase years ago - way better than a c clamp). Got to the rears and figured out pretty quickly that they were locked against the rotor. Researching on the internet found a thread but was getting the error condition... then found this thread... played with the parking brake... might have had to turn on / off the car and then cleared the error.

Thanks for posting!
Old 01-23-2020, 01:45 PM

2014 MB GL 450
MPYE

Originally Posted by knot
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just ran into the same problem, and after searching the internet was unable to find a solution. I did however stumble apon a solution, and I want to share it for those that find themself in this situation in the future.

When you get this error, PUSH the parking brake button IN to reset. cleared error instantly and allowed be to proceed with putting the pads into and out of fitting position.

Tried this just now and it isn't resetting?? Any other ideas?
Old 01-23-2020, 01:50 PM

2014 MB GL 450
Tried this and it did not reset. Afraid to try to move forward. Unsure of position the brake is actually in. ANy ideas?
Old 01-23-2020, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL500
Just to clarify Missy are you looking to put the calipers into the open position to change the brake pads or are you looking to move the calipers back to closed position. The steps to clear should be similar:
If I remember right, after receiving the error message, I tried to play with the parking brake - which didn't clear the error. I turned the car off, then back on and either a) the car remembered the new parking brake position or b) i tied the parking brake again and then i was able to enter into the "open" mode to change out the pads.

In short, play with turning off the parking brake, and factoring in that you may need to cycle the car through the key on / key off / back on positions.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:45 AM

2014 MB GL 450
Originally Posted by db2001
Just to clarify Missy are you looking to put the calipers into the open position to change the brake pads or are you looking to move the calipers back to closed position. The steps to clear should be similar:
If I remember right, after receiving the error message, I tried to play with the parking brake - which didn't clear the error. I turned the car off, then back on and either a) the car remembered the new parking brake position or b) i tied the parking brake again and then i was able to enter into the "open" mode to change out the pads.

In short, play with turning off the parking brake, and factoring in that you may need to cycle the car through the key on / key off / back on positions.
trying to get piston back into the caliper . We thought we released the electronic parking g break. The “P” is flashing on the dashboard but when going to the menu all we see is the error message and nothing will clear it or trigger the movement of the brake. Does this make sense?
Danielsan (06-23-2023)
Old 05-25-2020, 01:13 AM

Mercedes Benz c450 amg
Sadly I’m going trough the same problem anybody find out what’s the issue

Originally Posted by Missy Pye
trying to get piston back into the caliper . We thought we released the electronic parking g break. The “P” is flashing on the dashboard but when going to the menu all we see is the error message and nothing will clear it or trigger the movement of the brake. Does this make sense?

im going trough the same problem any ideas ?
Old 08-22-2020, 05:02 PM

2010 C300, 1998 CLK320
I had the same issue after replacing rotors and pads in the rear. None of the above solutions worked for me. I got past the message by depressing the break pedal then hitting OK and it let me proceed and finish. Try that if all the above fails and you get the message "Cond. for Exiting Fitting Position Not Correct To Confirm: OK"
Old 12-31-2020, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W222 S550, W218 CLS63, W166 ML550, Titan, Sentra
Just wanted to share my recent experience with our W222. Did brakes all the way around and didn't realize I needed to disengage the E e-brake. Long story short I accidentally engaged the e brake while rotors and pads were off. NEVER do that!! That caused the caliper piston to be pushed ALL THE WAY out!! After lots of googling, searching, and frustration, I found a thread that somewhat helped on this forum on another page. Had to CAREFULLY take both rear calipers off the car, reseat the dust boots, clean thoroughly to make sure no dust particles is on the pistons while reinserting back into the sleeve. The trick to that is wind the push rod all the way back in, put the dust boot over the piston all the way down while it's out, reinsert the dust boot onto the slot and make sure it's nice and seated. Now insert the piston, turn it so that matches the push rod position, then carefully press the piston at ZERO angle!! once in a tad it will be very hard to keep pushing in. Use a 8" G clamp with the old pads on the piston and the E e-brake motor so that you don't damage either of those parts. SLOWLY press it in, it slides in pretty smoothly, if you feel any resistant, START OVER because you're at an angle and that will damage the piston. Reinstall everything back together. You will need to bleed the system, pretty much getting a fully flush now so that's a bonus. I used the Harbor Freight pneumatic bleeder, works like a charm.

Now to the in car menu setting. I couldn't even access the "pad replacement" option due to the piston being fully engaged. I simple disengaged the e brake button again, the engaged it. You should hear things winding from the rear calipers. Once thats done, I now can access the "pad replacement" menu. Waaaa Laaa! Menu was back and now I can accessing it like inshiuld
have to begin with. Good luck!!
The following 2 users liked this post by JDMAP1:
Danielsan (06-23-2023), NNNN (09-13-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 04:35 PM

Ml bluetec
Originally Posted by knot

I found the problem)))
Brake pads even though they look identical but they aren't. The one with extra tip bracket for sensor must be at the back and one without infront
Old 09-27-2022, 09:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GL450
i got the same error message as the OP. mine is 2014 GL450.
this time, i only replaced the pads. i still have a lot of meat left on the rotors.
after the job, i clicked on ok on "Exit Fitting Position", and I got the "Cond. for Exiting Fitting Position not correct" message.
i tried all the tips in this thread and no luck. i now have red "PARK" blinking and ((P)) light on as well. i tried to reset the codes by disconnecting the (-) on the battery, but that didn't do the trick. today, i may disconnect the auxiliary to see if that works.
what i do notice is though, the parking brake works when i turn it on and off. i hear it moving (meaning the actuator is fine) but, it doesn't seem to go all the way in. i say this because when i put my foot off the brake, it lurches a little because my driveway where i park is sloped.
brakes work fine. i can drive around fine. it is just the annoying error messages.
i have a feeling that i may be getting the errors because the pistons are not going all the way in because the rotors are thinner now. this weekend, i am planning to bleed the brake fluids. not sure if i am going to be able to do this because the option to "Moving to Fitting Position" is not on anymore. i am hoping the bleeding will let me push the pistons back. anyone has experienced this?
Jimmy_c63s (09-27-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GL450
i am back to report my findings.

tried the aux battery disconnect before taking things apart. no luck.
pull the wear sensor and reconnected after cleaning. no luck.
took the tires off. started visual inspection. on the left side, i was able to see that the actuator was sitting weird. upon closer inspection, voila!. i was able to find the actuator housing broke around the bolt.
i ordered the replacement part this morning. $257 for OEM parking brake actuator. planning to replace it this weekend.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
16' C63s, 22' RAM 1500
Had this happen to me this past Sunday at the track while installing track pads. Initially I used my scan tool to fit the rear brakes into assembly position (always done this) but this time it said my right rear parking brake had a malfunction. I had to unplug the connector in order for it to release that way I could install the new pads.

I ended up getting code: BD229D53 & dash parking lights non stop until today I went ahead and followed with what you guys did and I went into service mode within the car (follow service mode how to from someone here) and went to brake pad replacement I engaged the brakes into assembly mode and BAM! Fixed my issue with the “inoperative parking brake”.

glad I found this thread or I should’ve done that to begin with. Either way thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
16' C63s, 22' RAM 1500
Originally Posted by gladerider
i am back to report my findings.

tried the aux battery disconnect before taking things apart. no luck.
pull the wear sensor and reconnected after cleaning. no luck.
took the tires off. started visual inspection. on the left side, i was able to see that the actuator was sitting weird. upon closer inspection, voila!. i was able to find the actuator housing broke around the bolt.
i ordered the replacement part this morning. $257 for OEM parking brake actuator. planning to replace it this weekend.
im curious. I know the install is easy but I’m wondering if installing the new park requires calibration?

I see on my scan tool an option to “calibrate electronic parking brake”. That’s why I ask. Thanks!