MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   2015 ML350 headlights (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/589926-2015-ml350-headlights.html)

cshipley10 06-18-2015 08:28 PM

2015 ML350 headlights

Hi all,

quick question, I have agreed to purchase a new ML on lease and had a quick question. None of the ML's available at the dealership had the lighting package which is okay, just don't like the yellow lights. Which from reading here, if you have the premium 1 package, the low beam is xenon and the high beam is actually halogen? Is that correct?

Thanks!

sonicboom188 06-18-2015 08:47 PM

On the 2014, I can tell without the lighting package, you will received the halogen low and high beams even if you have the premium 1 package. My assumption for 2015 it should be the same, but I might be mistaken.

cshipley10 06-18-2015 08:50 PM

Oh, okay. Well that's a little disappointing. I've looked around on the board for some information and have found very little. Any recommendations for getting a whiter light in terms of the bulbs if I replace them? Not very firmilar with head lights. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee summit had the xenon. Kind of suprising a 2015 ml wouldn't have them!

sonicboom188 06-18-2015 08:59 PM

You might want to try Sylvania SilverStar zXe bulbs...

ketleone 06-18-2015 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by cshipley10 (Post 6469742)
Oh, okay. Well that's a little disappointing. I've looked around on the board for some information and have found very little. Any recommendations for getting a whiter light in terms of the bulbs if I replace them? Not very firmilar with head lights. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee summit had the xenon. Kind of suprising a 2015 ml wouldn't have them!

Agreed. I am used to the Xenon's and would not buy an ML without them so it took awhile to find one since so many do not have the lighting package.

Sort of like after buying it (CPO 2013) I found out it does not have dual zone climate control. For a vehicle that had a $62k MSRP when new, that is nuts.

jtorrebl 06-20-2015 01:26 PM

I've had this car with both sets of lights. A 2012 and 2014 just find one with the lighting package it's worth it. The swapping bulbs thing is a joke. I'm a car guy and have tried lots of different aftemarket upgrades to several cars. Including true hid and LEDs but all were sub par. Definition dont buy any of the led bulbs. Nothing beats factory hid. Unless you wait for the new refresh with led headlights next month for the 2016. Don't even waste your time or money on a 2015

cmasten 06-20-2015 01:36 PM

would have to agree, i would not buy a car any more without the HID built in and the ILS on the ML is very good. Worth the money and if your dealer doesn't have one, go find one :-)

ChuckinTucson 06-22-2015 09:51 PM

In addition to Xenon lights, you get the IntelliBeam Light system which will automatically turn on the high beams when needed and turn them off when they're not needed. My ML has this, my C doesn't and I miss it when driving the C.

shortspark 06-23-2015 03:48 AM

I live well out in the country and 90% of my driving is on unlit back roads, most of which are through forests. Because the forests have been cut close to the road there is always the danger of deer and other critters stepping out on to the road. The lighting package with bi-Xenon headlamps have saved a nasty collision once for sure and probably twice. They are worth their weight in gold in the country because of their brightness and width of beam and I would never be without them. However, I would probably consider them totally worthless if I lived in a big city and seldom ventured to the country.

Koenig1 06-23-2015 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by shortspark (Post 6473942)
I live well out in the country and 90% of my driving is on unlit back roads, most of which are through forests. Because the forests have been cut close to the road there is always the danger of deer and other critters stepping out on to the road. The lighting package with bi-Xenon headlamps have saved a nasty collision once for sure and probably twice. They are worth their weight in gold in the country because of their brightness and width of beam and I would never be without them. However, I would probably consider them totally worthless if I lived in a big city and seldom ventured to the country.

I, too, live out at the cottage alot with unlit roads, etc. Thia is my second vehicle with factory BiXenon and wouldn't have it any other way. One thing to note is that with the Active High Beam Assist (auto high beam) if traveling at slow speeds(<30kms) the high beams will cut out if your light switch is set to Auto. In that situation, one must change the light switch from Auto to ON! Drove 3 kms on low beams figuring that one out!

shortspark 06-23-2015 11:49 AM

Yes, I figured that out too when the low beams stayed on at lower speeds and I had to switch to ON in order to get high beam. I pretty much keep them on auto all the time now as I find I seldom require high beams at those slow speeds.

greasykid 06-26-2015 10:12 AM

Headlights

Originally Posted by cshipley10 (Post 6469742)

2015- Xenons are stand alone option
Bulbs- Try Candlepower.com
What does Jeep have to do w/Mercedes?
If you want Xenons,or any other option, have your dealer do a dealer trade for the car YOU want. This is done all the time.

Barry45RPM 06-26-2015 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by greasykid (Post 6477849)
2015- Xenons are stand alone option
Bulbs- Try Candlepower.com
What does Jeep have to do w/Mercedes?
If you want Xenons,or any other option, have your dealer do a dealer trade for the car YOU want. This is done all the time.

The current Jeep Grand Cherokee is an MB designed chassis (Previous Gen). It was the result of product sharing between MBs Benz line and Benz's ownership of Chrysler. It is NOT the only vehicle that has Benz sourced parts. I believe the previous gen Charger even had an MB turn signal stalk among other things.

The Jeep GC IS an ML dumbed down for Chrysler use with a Chrysler designed body and some other bits and pieces.

greasykid 06-27-2015 11:55 AM

Am familiar w/messy Chrysler/Daimler history. But that still has little to do with Xenons. By the way Tesla uses MB steering wheels.

cshipley10 06-28-2015 09:47 PM

Hi all,

thanks for the help, we took one over night that didn't have the lighting package and found it doesn't bother us at all. We purchased our 2015 ML last week! Pretty nice discount too. msrp 61,814 and got it for 52,413! I'll take that!

Thanks for everyone's feed back!!

Breitling65 07-01-2015 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by greasykid (Post 6478943)
Am familiar w/messy Chrysler/Daimler history. But that still has little to do with Xenons. By the way Tesla uses MB steering wheels.

Good example, Grand Cherokee has some parts from MB but in general nothing even close to ML because of horrible quality, I got rid off one from the latest generation not while ago. Also my former Wrangler use to have MB 5 speed auto tranny.

Breitling65 07-01-2015 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by cshipley10 (Post 6480414)
Hi all,

thanks for the help, we took one over night that didn't have the lighting package and found it doesn't bother us at all. We purchased our 2015 ML last week! Pretty nice discount too. msrp 61,814 and got it for 52,413! I'll take that!

Thanks for everyone's feed back!!

Same, mine is month old. It is combo of Xenon and Hallogen, looks OK to me.

listen2thebeatt 07-01-2015 11:13 AM

If your mostly worried about the color, get these bulbs:
I have a 2015 ML350 and wasn't able to get the upgraded lights either and hated the yellow tint of the halogens, especially in comparison to the LED DRLs. I bought these on Amazon and they're great. They're super close in color temp to the LED DRLs, you can't see a difference unless you are really looking for one. I also replaced the parking lights with these cheap CANBUS compatible LEDs:
The new headlights aren't much brighter than the OEM halogens, so if you're looking for brightness, you need to look elsewhere. But if you're going for looks, these new lights make everything look 1000x better on my ML and for what....$70!?

iankayem 07-10-2015 12:34 PM

I have the Australian spec HID on my 2012 model. this only has one HID globe and a moving reflector to raise to high beam. It comes with cornering lights and auto dipping high beam.
The lights are brilliant on low beam.
High beam is bright but patchy, due to poor reflector quality.
Cornering lights are great.
Auto beam dipping is so unreliable I have turned it off.
* It dips for road signs, and sometimes for no reason at all.
* it dips at low speed, so you cannot read road signs/house numbers.
* It does not dip for oncoming cars when going around a sweeping bend.
* It sometimes raises to high beam when you are a car length behind another car - even in a built up area.

Hopefully the GLE will have LED lights and better software.