MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   No more ACTIVE lane tracking. (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/590436-no-more-active-lane-tracking.html)

greasykid 06-23-2015 12:09 PM

No more ACTIVE lane tracking.

Just returned from 2,000 mi trip-mostly Interstate. Had 2 scarey episodes with ACTIVE tracking. I will begin by saying that I have had 4 previous MB's with Lane Tracking/Blind Spot. Great & no problems. My new ML has ACTIVE tracking. Had no choice when I bought it from dealer stock. Needed the car then! Problems follow.

Construction. Some work was being done on split lanes which had lane markers in random patterns. Not regular lane lines. Caused a little confusion. I could deal with this once in a while.

Real problem. On 2 lane (same direction) Interstate w/construction taking place(lanes slightly more narrow) I proceed to pass(in the passing lane) a semi. Suddenly a tire recap comes into my lane & I quickly steer to the left to avoid it. ACTIVE lane tracking also quickly turns my steering to the right toward the semi along side. All this @ 60-70 mph. I have to very quickly overcome the move to the right to avoid a collision. I assume that as my turn to the left was abrupt the the correction to the right was greater than normal. I always drive wih 2 hands on the wheel- a habit I developed many years ago from competition driving.

Summation. Yesterday I was @ my dealer discussing this & was advised that ACTIVE feature of L.T. can be disabled & still have the vibrating steering wheel & Blindspot. As I have a service appointment later this week I am having the ACTIVE feature disabled then.

Good News. DISTRONIC PLUS was a great feature on a long trip.

DFW01E55 06-23-2015 01:14 PM

Wow, sounds like a nightmare. I wonder if the NHTSA has recorded any complaints for damages or injuries.

HAILERS2 06-23-2015 11:26 PM

I turned off the Lane Keeping myself for the same reasons you mentioined.........construction sites on the hwy and the white lines in the construction area being 'wrong' and resulting in the car/suv pulling me towards a eighteen wheeler plus concrete barriers on the left resulting in nowhere to go further to the left.

Just paging thru the menu with the left button on the steering wheel resulted in me finding the page where I could disable the lane keeping/tracking. No need to go to the dealer imho IF I understand what your problem is. Go to the dealer only for free car washes and free cokes.

Mines a ML350 Bluetec and may vary from your year. But I page thru the menu and I see a list of four items similar to Lane keeping. Lane keeping isn't shown til I page Down thru the first four items then Lane Keeping is shown. Then click on it to enable or disable it. I did this after owning the suv for only a couple of months. I may have used the wrong terminology when typing Lane Keeping. I'm too lazy to go look at the car. No need for a visit to the dealership.........except for looking at new cars, getting coke or two.

Distronic can be bothersome at times. Say a guy comes up the on ramp and cuts across your bow. Car/suv puts the brake on monentarily. I don't like that. Also another car, Mercedes, that I have also has Distronic. When driving say in three lanes and your say in the far left lane, the car hesitates as you approach the cars ahead of you IN THE OTHER LANES. Not desireable.

greasykid 06-24-2015 10:56 AM

Had an appointment already made so figured that tech may as well do it.Only want ACTIVE feature deleted. I guess that I am not the only one who has had this type of experience. My car is a 2015 & have no problem w/cars in adjoining lanes affecting Distronic Plus as long as they stay in their lanes. Keep distance setting @ the minimum. My dealer is only 15 min away & has been very helpful. Have been a customer for 15 yrs.

MLee 06-24-2015 06:39 PM

Disconnected mine long ago. I like to use all the road, including the white lines, when I safely can.
FYI. It's only a brake that is applied to steer the car, the actual steering is not affected and if you apply the foot brake when active lane keeping is active, it overrides it.

greasykid 06-24-2015 07:13 PM

I completely understand the system & how it works. The ACTIVE part changes your immediate control & direction. All this happens quickly @ highway speeds.