M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

LED Conversion Headlight Question

Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350 2014
LED Conversion Headlight Question

Hey guys! do you think this setup would work?

Bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/Safego-Headli...rds=h7+led+kit

Load Resistors: https://www.amazon.com/Atshark-Headl...+load+resistor

Ive got an ML350 2014 with standard headlights, looking for a better light output! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
GLE350d, Porsche TE
You may not need the load resistors as they are 36W per side, but you may need cancellers, sometimes this is trial/error. in the end it will work! if you put some time into it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:40 PM

ML-350 2014
Thanks! will look up cancellers then.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
And don't forget to let us know of when you burn up your wiring harness and headlamp housing!

If you're actually looking to improve the light output (as opposed to making it "look cool"), then I am afraid aftermarket LEDs are the last thing you want to install in a housing that was designed for conventioanl bulbs. The light projection pattern from LED "bulbs" does not resemble that of a conventional automotive lightbulb, and together with a reflector housing or lens that is made for a conventional bulb will produce uneven light output on the road ahead.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:08 AM

GLE350d, Porsche TE
I doubt very...very much he'll burn up his wiring harness and headlamp housing, but....
"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
The following users liked this post:
djgiovanni (03-01-2020)
Old 12-09-2016, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Really? And this is based on your vast personal experience with retrofitting these bulbs to the W166 halogen headlight?

For starters, he won't be even able to close the freakin' cap on the back of the projector with those bulbs on - or did you fail to notice the massive protrusion with the heatsink and fan (which btw has a tendency to fail) *AT THE BACK* of the LED bulbs? Where do you think that part is going to fit in the headlight housing, and furthermore, assuming that it actually fits (which it doesn't), how is it going to get some air for that fan? A regular light bulb emits heat at the glass part at the front, not at the back of the headlight, which is just ABS plastic. Then, you'll also need to cheat the system with resistors (and capacitors - your "cancellers") so you don't get error codes and flickering. Do you have any idea how hot the resistors get?

Can you show me one- just ONE - picture of an LED bulb installation in a W166 halogen headlight? Please?

And, even if you butcher the headlight housings themselves and leave them open, the light diffusion pattern from the LEDs absolutley sucks. The focal point of the reflector and lens is meant to work with a regular bulb, not the two LEDs producing all of their light in a narrow beam pattern on the sides. The only possibly workable option - which is certainly also not without challenges - would be to go with an aftermarket HID bulb retrofit.

mozhan (02-16-2019)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:17 PM

GLE350d, Porsche TE
Oh no...we're so lucky to have a Toronto engineer on board!!!......

I'm guessing one with just a little bit of low self esteem perhaps ??? puts other people down. just so you can lift yourself up????
make yourself look soooo smart with some mumbo jumbo..

Happy weekend

Last edited by nookie; 12-09-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nookie
Oh no...we're so lucky to have a Toronto engineer on board!!!......

I'm guessing one with just a little bit of low self esteem perhaps ??? puts other people down. just so you can lift yourself up????
make yourself look soooo smart with some mumbo jumbo..

Happy weekend
ROTFLMAO. You mean - you can't come up with anything substantive so you're now resorting to personal attacks? That says a lot more about your self-esteem, not mine.

And yes, I am an engineer... I am also a serious car hobbyist, have been involved in motorsports for some 15 years and also partially own an indie car performance shop, so unlike you I am not simply pulling things out of my a$$ (and then get my knickers all twisted up in a knot when someone points out that I am wrong). Also, seeing as you so succinctly summarized my reply as "mumbo jumbo", may I humbly suggest that you first attempt to learn a thing or two about the subject matter on which you're voluntarily offering advice to thers BEFORE you decide to again grace us with your bleating?

If you have ever done, seen or heard of an LED headlight bulb conversion on the ML (or any number of other cars I can think of) that has actually worked, please share it with us - we all like to learn from each other. If you can't offer any concrete evidence to support your point but instead choose to turn your argument into an ad hominem attack, that indeed says a lot more about your self-esteem.

Have a great weekend yourself!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:19 PM

GLE350d, Porsche TE
Obviously you're not much of an engineer!, as all you're saying "Can't be done"
Pretty good idea what you're made off, a sheep, a follower if you wish.
Right away you're posting your lame credentials to backup "Not possible",Providing zero usable info to the OP, just making noise.

Read your own footer line, and try to comprehend it.... maybe live by it since you tout it.

And yes there are LED conversions available for ML, especially in D1S format Plug-N-Play! (Although no idea why you would want to)
Use google much ?

BTW the original OP is not trying to engineer the space shuttle. he's trying to change light bulbs. maybe be little more constructive instead of telling him that his ML is going to blow up.

Last edited by nookie; 12-09-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never said that it can't be done. I only said that it's not feasible or in any way an improvement using the components he asked about. Apparently reading comprehension is not your strong suit either. I did provide a suggestion that he try using HIDs instead of LEDs if getting proper illumination (instead of just trying to look cool) is what he is after. He even PM'd me and I replied. And no, he is not trying to engineer the space shuttle, but he is not just tryign to replace a bulb either. He wants to upgrade his lights. To you the two may be synonymous... to 99% of the population, they are not.

And, the D1S that you're talking about is an HID bulb, not an LED or a halogen which is what his H7s are... so yeah, keep digging that hole you're in.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:02 AM

GLE350d, Porsche TE
For the Toronto Engineer who's posting pictures of himself driving in circles......lol
Attached Thumbnails LED Conversion Headlight Question-d1s-led.jpg  
Old 12-10-2016, 03:21 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Don't want to get into a pissing match, but yes, LEDs in housing not designed specifically to capture LED surface mounted light spread will result in reduced throw distance and uneven lighting. Wrong focal point and distribution. LEDs are better for indication or short throw lighting, but not forward projecting. HIDs are a better option.

That said, if you do mostly city driving where it's relatively well lit, LEDs might be deemed good enough lighting, just not optimal.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZN Optics:
iGeorge (10-29-2018), mozhan (02-16-2019)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:50 AM

GLE350d, Porsche TE
No doubt the OP's sulution would not be optimal or factory, but not what he was asking. he problably already knew that.

Diabolis seems to get into a pissing match with everyone in every thread around here, he leads his life that way, a kid driving in circles, lets leave it at that😎
peter2772000 (01-09-2018)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nookie
No doubt the OP's sulution would not be optimal or factory, but not what he was asking. he problably already knew that.

Diabolis seems to get into a pissing match with everyone in every thread around here, he leads his life that way, a kid driving in circles, lets leave it at that😎
I just love how the story changes by the minute. Keep it up.

And, why the hell are you talking about me in the third person? If you have somethign to say to me, feel free to do so directly - I am still reading the thread. Save the third person narrative for your memoirs - y'know, the color-by-numbers book that you mom got you with Spiderman on the front that you found very confusing... that one.

I only get into pissing matches with idiots who start attacking me personally, which somehow always seems to happen when they offer an opinion that they can't substantiate, and when they are told they are wrong, their little fragile ego can't accept it and they derail the discussion into a personal attack. Now, I really have better things to do with my time, so I'll bid nookie here adieu. If you even decide to grow up and want to discuss somethign on its merits, please PM me and I'll be happy to continue the discussion. As it is, you're sadly just a waste of good oxygen.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
Even HID kits in a halogen projector will have a different focal point, halogen projectors usually has a narrower cone than a HID projector as well. LED lights need a special lens to project far enough forward to be useful in an automotive application, in an halogen projector, they will look bright to others but will not light up the road very well. I suppose if the OP is after form rather than function, then it would be ok, but I agree with others that a HID kit is a better solution than LED.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:20 AM

ML350
If the HID kit is the way to go, any recommendations? And how difficult is the retrofit for someone who is "mechanically declined". This would be for a 2015 ML350.

Regards,
Chris
Old 12-12-2016, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts
2019 E300
The Morimoto HID kit is pretty good for the price, if you are not mechanically incline, you should get it install professionally.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:30 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Yeah, focal point in hid and halogens are off also, but it's closer with better spread than LEDs for sure. It's not bad though, especially when you factor in higher lumens with HIDs.

Morimoto kits are one of the best around. Not too bad of a DIY as everything just plugs in together without drama. Only challenge would be gaining access behind the headlight, which sucks if you have big hands.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another user PM'd me about a specific HID upgrade kit, and I checked with my guys at the P-car shop. The ones that they've installed on a number of Porsches and Audis that seem to work well were ordered from TRS and are Morimoto kits that appear to be idential to AZN's HID kit that this user was asking about. In order to avoid any potential problems, I was told that you'd need a Standalone Canbus harness, go with 35W ballasts (not 55W) and choose bulbs that are in the 4300K-5000K range. Apparently this setup seems to work well, with the only negative thing they have noticed a couple of times being radio interference.

AZN - I just told the user that PM'd me that I'll post the reply here... he many contact you for a kit.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:09 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Originally Posted by Diabolis
Another user PM'd me about a specific HID upgrade kit, and I checked with my guys at the P-car shop. The ones that they've installed on a number of Porsches and Audis that seem to work well were ordered from TRS and are Morimoto kits that appear to be idential to AZN's HID kit that this user was asking about. In order to avoid any potential problems, I was told that you'd need a Standalone Canbus harness, go with 35W ballasts (not 55W) and choose bulbs that are in the 4300K-5000K range. Apparently this setup seems to work well, with the only negative thing they have noticed a couple of times being radio interference.

AZN - I just told the user that PM'd me that I'll post the reply here... he many contact you for a kit.
We carry the same Morimoto kit as authorized distributors. Ours are configured for MBs with all the parts necessary. Morimoto kits come with a 5 year warranty. Offered in 4500k soft white, 5500k pure white, and 6500k white with a slight bluish hue. We're also open 7 days a week (unlike TRS) so we're here to support you
Old 12-13-2016, 03:25 PM

ML-350 2014
Hey guys! Thanks to everyone for their input on the matter. Sorry that the thread turned into some beef.. anyways... i already was suspicious of installing LED bulbs, reading your comments now im determined to go the HID way. Apparently the best kit availables are the morimoto ones, will look into them. I think theres a thread on the forum containing all the info about aftermarket HIDs. Again, thanks to everyone.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
c class
Mr Luis Montero .why you dont want to install the orginal Led lights or intellgent lights system from mercedes on your Ml its possibel
Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by sari shub
Mr Luis Montero .why you dont want to install the orginal Led lights or intellgent lights system from mercedes on your Ml its possibel

ILS (lighting package) is not easy but not impossible.. i would just look for a model that has it.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:08 PM

c class
Originally Posted by drwolf
ILS (lighting package) is not easy but not impossible.. i would just look for a model that has it.
Its easy i can help you iam expert retrofits mercedes
Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 PM

c class

This some photos of my work

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Conversion Headlight Question