MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Who here came to ML from X5 (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/653760-who-here-came-ml-x5.html)

drwolf 02-20-2017 01:34 PM

Who here came to ML from X5

Any of you were previous X5 owners? just wanna know which models you had, packages, etc.. just wanna see what your thoughts are from going to ML from the X5

skw 02-21-2017 06:34 PM

Was hoping to see some responses by now. I love BMW's myself but my wife has gotten comfortable in Mercedes, on our 2nd one now. I try to get her to change every time we look for another car but no dice yet.

I just picked up another BMW at the Performance Center. They had us driving X5's for the off-road coarse, we took them to go visit the museum down the street, and the hotel also shuttled us around town in X5's as well. The X5 and GLE are 2 very good but different vehicles, you favor 1 or the other.

The X5 is wider in the passenger space (front and rear) than the GLE and a lil more leg room in the 2nd row, but at the sacrifice of cargo space. The GLE's cargo area is hands down better shaped and holds more, I don't care what the specs on paper say. GLE is ahead in standard active safety systems (pre-safe), quieter cabin, and softer ride. X5 has a sportier/firmer ride, more car like. iDrive vs COMAND I think is a tie, you easily get used to whichever one you have (and we have both!). X5 still has the 6 cylinder diesel whereas it was dropped for the 4 cylinder in the GLE. I'd also rather tow w/ the GLE.

A decently spec'd GLE w/ P1 and a few options puts you around $62k. To get the same in an X5 to include the safety systems (because that's what matters right?), you're looking at $64-65k but you have leather, pano roof, and better headlights as standard.

drwolf 02-21-2017 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by skw (Post 7063293)
Was hoping to see some responses by now. I love BMW's myself but my wife has gotten comfortable in Mercedes, on our 2nd one now. I try to get her to change every time we look for another car but no dice yet.

I just picked up another BMW at the Performance Center. They had us driving X5's for the off-road coarse, we took them to go visit the museum down the street, and the hotel also shuttled us around town in X5's as well. The X5 and GLE are 2 very good but different vehicles, you favor 1 or the other.

The X5 is wider in the passenger space (front and rear) than the GLE and a lil more leg room in the 2nd row, but at the sacrifice of cargo space. The GLE's cargo area is hands down better shaped and holds more, I don't care what the specs on paper say. GLE is ahead in standard active safety systems (pre-safe), quieter cabin, and softer ride. X5 has a sportier/firmer ride, more car like. iDrive vs COMAND I think is a tie, you easily get used to whichever one you have (and we have both!). X5 still has the 6 cylinder diesel whereas it was dropped for the 4 cylinder in the GLE. I'd also rather tow w/ the GLE.

A decently spec'd GLE w/ P1 and a few options puts you around $62k. To get the same in an X5 to include the safety systems (because that's what matters right?), you're looking at $64-65k but you have leather, pano roof, and better headlights as standard.

same here, on my second MBZ, since the first one i had was the W212 (e350). The x5 is a tiny bit smaller in length than the ML/GLE for sure, i mean me whenever i put my bike in the back it was more problematic than the one i have now. Performance wise the X5 ( i had the 3.0i w/sport package E53 model) it was fun to go on curves, not that you cant with the W166 but the x5 handling was something else, thats for sure. Gas mileage i cant remember off the top of my head but about the same as now, fill up 1x/week).

horses45 02-23-2017 01:03 PM

I have both the X5 (f15) and an ML (W166). I have to say the interior of the ML clearly lacks in comparison of the X5. But in terms of ride, the ML wins all the way.

drwolf 02-23-2017 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by horses45 (Post 7064977)
I have both the X5 (f15) and an ML (W166). I have to say the interior of the ML clearly lacks in comparison of the X5. But in terms of ride, the ML wins all the way.

is yours the 3.0 or 5.0?

M~Factor 02-24-2017 12:10 PM

I was in the market for X5/X6 before buying my ML. I have 2 friends who own X5 and they both agreed that X5 is not the most reliable SUV out there. Same with Audis.

drwolf 02-24-2017 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by M~Factor (Post 7065939)
I was in the market for X5/X6 before buying my ML. I have 2 friends who own X5 and they both agreed that X5 is not the most reliable SUV out there. Same with Audis.

i would say for the warranty you get on the car 4y/50k but everything after than that it goes south of the border, after 50k i put a lot of money just to keep it going the extra 59K i drove it

NickW 06-13-2017 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by horses45 (Post 7064977)

I had an X5 prior to the ML and I would strongly say the opposite is true. BMW interior has been dated for a LONG time. They just started updating their interior from the early 90's look. Overall quality is comparable between the two.

drwolf 06-13-2017 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by NickW (Post 7178870)
I had an X5 prior to the ML and I would strongly say the opposite is true. BMW interior has been dated for a LONG time. They just started updating their interior from the early 90's look. Overall quality is comparable between the two.

both are very big in terms of cabin space i would say, it just depends on how you sat and how you positioned yourself.

csml350 06-13-2017 11:54 PM

I was deadly torn between an x5 50 and ML550 when I was looking to upgrade my 350. I did an extensive test drive on an x5 and went with a 550. The power is not that much of a difference, and the interior on 550 is indeed a generation behind same-year X5 (both MY2014). I don't know about latest gen x5 vs 550 though. X5 won the exterior contest for me because of its more masculine look to me.

The final thing that made me stay with an ML is the ride comfort. Having driven a 350 for 6 months, upon the start of the test drive of x5, I felt like I was back in a car, not an SUV. It "felt" like I was closer to the ground, probably because of the tougher ride and a slight lower clearance, as well as the road noise thanks to those dying tires maybe. I thought I would be persuaded by the extra HP and Torque of the x5 but I didn't. For the ride quality of X5, I might as well get a sedan like 340i for a faster ride or 330i for less price. I'm a fan of BMW, not avid though, as I'm not interested in its general interior design. Speaking from a perspective of previous 135 and 328 owner, x5 definitely shares part of their characteristics in handling (and ride quality). It may be nice that I can corner an x5 faster and harder than an ML, but for an SUV, my first priority is comfort.

And despite the outdated infotainment and interior of ML, I still find it satisfying. I'm just fond of the seemingly excessive buttons on that vertical control panel for some reason. And it can properly display east Asian characters, a big plus for me personally! Neither my previous S4 or 328i I had could do this (B8/B8.5 and F30 at least).

galion 06-14-2017 07:15 PM

I have a GLE400 and X5 5.0i, they are different but I'd take the X5 any day of the week. Much more fun to drive.

drwolf 06-15-2017 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by galion (Post 7180083)
I have a GLE400 and X5 5.0i, they are different but I'd take the X5 any day of the week. Much more fun to drive.

when your comparing those two, ya the x5 wins hands down, more powerful engine and more power/performance, gotta love the huge sport tires and handling you get out of it..

The G Man 06-15-2017 09:36 AM

Lets face it gentleman, you can say the X5 is more sporty or fun to drive etc...but in the end, they are both big heavy SUV with a high center of gravity. Even the M5 and the AMG GLE63 has it limitation compare to a proper sport sedan. The only SUV I have driven that is close to a sport sedan is the Macan with PASM. In a SUV the size of the X5 and the GLE, comfort is much more important than that extra tiny bit of sportiness the X5 offers.

drwolf 06-15-2017 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 7180645)
Lets face it gentleman, you can say the X5 is more sporty or fun to drive etc...but in the end, they are both big heavy SUV with a high center of gravity. Even the M5 and the AMG GLE63 has it limitation compare to a proper sport sedan. The only SUV I have driven that is close to a sport sedan is the Macan with PASM. In a SUV the size of the X5 and the GLE, comfort is much more important than that extra tiny bit of sportiness the X5 offers.

this is true, both has its pluses and minuses, i mean sometimes you get more from either the ML/GLE over the X5 depending on what you want more out of your car.

csml350 06-15-2017 05:25 PM

Ye, it comes down to personal needs. For instance, I could say I'd take ML most of the days, more comfortable to drive.

drwolf 06-16-2017 01:32 AM

ML is for like a formal easy ride, like for family hauling, road trips, stuff like that. the X5 is for the more rugged and sporty drivers who want the curves and the performance.

heida11 06-16-2017 10:43 AM

My last X5 was 2010. I had 2008 and 2009 with Premium package and Trailer Hitch.
I went to Mercedes (ML) in 2011 because I was tired nit picking problems with the X5.
They became more with each year - rattles, battery shorting out etc.
There was even a hand print in the inside of the hatch, placed there while the panel was still warm - made it all the way to the customer . Just poor workingman ship.

Purchased 2011,2012,2013 MLs and love them. I am having a tough time parting with
the 2013.

drwolf 06-16-2017 11:13 AM

2003 here (E53) mine after it hit 50k it became a maintenance nightmare, had the battery/alternator replaced 3 times (1 time being covered under service warranty) had to replace the window washer fluid housing, the rear left and right light assembly, the engine pulling belt (it would make a really bad idle noise), from 2011 on i had a starter issue that would go and come back (car wouldnt turn on, same issue was continuing prior to the car accident). Had to change the window regulator (one time i drove back from work and the window wouldnt go back up)

The G Man 06-16-2017 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by drwolf (Post 7181161)
this is true, both has its pluses and minuses, i mean sometimes you get more from either the ML/GLE over the X5 depending on what you want more out of your car.

I think you miss the point of my post, the X3 might be sportier than the ML but the X5 is by far not a sporty vehicle to drive when compare to a sport sedan. Say the X5 is sporty is like if I am 350 pounds and you are 370 pounds and I say to you that I am thinner than you :)

pcy 06-16-2017 04:51 PM

:discus:

:-)

drwolf 06-17-2017 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 7182093)
I think you miss the point of my post, the X3 might be sportier than the ML but the X5 is by far not a sporty vehicle to drive when compare to a sport sedan. Say the X5 is sporty is like if I am 350 pounds and you are 370 pounds and I say to you that I am thinner than you :)

sorry for the confusion

mrmotoguzzi00 06-20-2017 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by M~Factor (Post 7065939)

We choose ML along the same lines, except my wife was perplexed trying to operate the X5 and a few years back an M3 so BMW was pretty much off the table anyway, As far as Audi ? we had a few of those previous and loved them.... but her A4 Cab cured us.... frightening electrical issues and the dealer was criminal in how they treated us. We actually went Lexus from 04 to 15...

But decided we actually like to drive and as reliable as the lexus was, just not a drivers car by an means...

At this point she has stolen my ML63!!! I only get to drive if i get to it first LOL

Mike

drwolf 06-22-2017 06:10 PM

X5 is reliable for the first 5 years (since it is covered) then everything after that your on your own, if you get it with sport package its a really fun car to drive.. at least i would say