MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   Harman Kardon upgrade (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/654434-harman-kardon-upgrade.html)

JLmb 02-26-2017 12:31 PM

Harman Kardon upgrade

Does somebody upgrade from stock audio to harman kardon logic7? Is it possible if I find some totaled ML somewhere?

AkaSigFreak 02-26-2017 08:26 PM

Besides replacing the standard speakers, the HK Logic7 has amps/signal processors, additional speakers in the dash (center channel) and adds a subwoofer. It can be done, but the time and $$$ would be on the high side. When I bought my 2008 C300- the car had just been released and it was difficult to find one with options. I upgraded the tweeters in the A-Pilar and added an Infinity Basslink subwoofer for under $400 total and the sound quality was much better.

Waykool plantz 02-27-2017 04:32 AM

I don't know bout upgrading...I do know it's the best $850 you'll spend on a ML

The G Man 02-27-2017 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JLmb (Post 7067689)
Does somebody upgrade from stock audio to harman kardon logic7? Is it possible if I find some totaled ML somewhere?

You are better of just replacing the speakers and the amp with aftermarket upgardes.

drwolf 02-27-2017 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Waykool plantz (Post 7068247)
I don't know bout upgrading...I do know it's the best $850 you'll spend on a ML

100% ^^ if you can find a totaled one that has it could be done, definitely worth it if you can get it

mustbebenz 03-01-2017 06:46 AM

"upgraded the tweeters in the A-Pilar and added an Infinity Basslink subwoofer for under $400 total and the sound quality was much better."

AkaSig:

Tapping the head unit to connect such a self contained sub, does this require a sound shop top pull trim and faceplates and head unit, too, or done from behind/under on a GL?

Also, anyone know if M/GL front door tweeter covers easily remove without taking off entire door panel to replace tweeters?

Not sure how I feel about who takes apart what, but I want these upgrades.

Bertha has 17000 in German options so ticked most all feature boxes as a used car choice - other than HK. Life is full of compromise.

drwolf 03-01-2017 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by mustbebenz (Post 7070492)
"upgraded the tweeters in the A-Pilar and added an Infinity Basslink subwoofer for under $400 total and the sound quality was much better."

AkaSig:

Tapping the head unit to connect such a self contained sub, does this require a sound shop top pull trim and faceplates and head unit, too, or done from behind/under on a GL?

Also, anyone know if M/GL front door tweeter covers easily remove without taking off entire door panel to replace tweeters?

Not sure how I feel about who takes apart what, but I want these upgrades.

Bertha has 17000 in German options so ticked most all feature boxes as a used car choice - other than HK. Life is full of compromise.

does your X166 have it?

AkaSigFreak 03-01-2017 04:43 PM

The A-pilar tweeter covers are easily removed and do not require the removal of the door panels. The Infinity Basslink was installed by a high-end car shop (Ultimate Auto in Orlando)- I'm not sure where they picked up the signal for the subwoofer.

K9_Benz 03-10-2017 02:37 AM

Dealership asked if it was possible for me, they even called Germany. Due to the the fiber optic cable running tonight to the wires and command not possible. Ended up trading that one in for a bluetec with a hitch and hk.

arcangel_nickk 04-02-2017 01:48 PM

Adding speakers to factory set up?

Is it possible too add mid speakers, tweeters, a crossover and a 4-channel amp to the factory deck? I installed a 15" Kicker L7 sub, Hifonics amp and Rockford converter. Was hoping I can add two 10 inch Beyma's for mids and kicker QS tweeters, on top of the factory set up. I know its fiber optic. Ideas anyone? Thanks.

​​​​P.S. - New to the thread. 2011 C300 sport. =]

AJ2 05-04-2017 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by arcangel_nickk (Post 7103432)
Is it possible too add mid speakers, tweeters, a crossover and a 4-channel amp to the factory deck? I installed a 15" Kicker L7 sub, Hifonics amp and Rockford converter. Was hoping I can add two 10 inch Beyma's for mids and kicker QS tweeters, on top of the factory set up. I know its fiber optic. Ideas anyone? Thanks.

​​​​P.S. - New to the thread. 2011 C300 sport. =]

Bump more than anything. I'm about to pull the trigger on a low-miles (16k) 2014 ML350, great deal except it doesn't have HK. I'm willing to put in some money on audio, because the base system is really terrible.

akasigfreak - $400 to upgrade the sound is a huge bargain, I'll look for that as a minimum, see what a little more might get me. I'm no audiophile when it comes to car audio, but the base system sound is surprisingly poor. Tinny and annoying, I'm sure that sub solves a lot of the problem.

arcangel - any luck regarding your question above?

musicmafia 01-07-2018 04:03 PM

I just dropped an amp and a sub and crossed the factory speakers to mids and highs. Had to lose the spare tire but sounds awesome.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2b79e836a5.jpg