MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M-Class (W166) (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/)
-   -   2012 ml350 bluetec highest mileage ? keep or trade? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166/665410-2012-ml350-bluetec-highest-mileage-keep-trade.html)

pimpingml350 05-06-2017 09:12 AM

2012 ml350 bluetec highest mileage ? keep or trade?

My 2012 ml350 bluetec just hit 60k on it, and I going in for the the service later this week . I am debating on purchasing the 60/70/80 prepaid maint. but no sure how long i am going to keep this car. I keep on reading horror stories about the bluetec , and yes i have the my share of problems but i do like the car. How many miles do these cars last for and when should i get rid of it before i get into major issues.

thanks

DanD. 05-06-2017 10:25 AM

My 2014 BT has 57K now, and I have the same questions. Like the car but repair cost is scares me.
Here is what I found related to out engine and trany what should prevent some high cost repair.

Oil changes mist be performed every 5K as minimum. There are so many discussion which oil to use I sticked with MB approved.

Engine Air filter - replace every 20K not 40K as it in maintenance book. There is actually a TSB for it.

Trany oil & filter change every 40K not 70K.

Other tips: keep fuel tank full as much as possible to avoid condensation.
Top-up AdBlue more often, I do it every 5K.

I would like to keep it up to 100K as minimum, question is what to get this good and more reliable?

pimpingml350 05-06-2017 10:37 AM

wife loves the car , worried about turbo issues with oil leaks, balance gear etc.. debating about paying 1600 for the prepaid or just doing an oil change and getting rid of the car at 70k . The air filters were changed at 50k when the MAS **** the bed .

DanD. 05-06-2017 10:54 AM

1600 is way too much for next 10K. Just do oil change if you are planning to get rid of it.
At 60K oil & brake flush its about 400$ don't do cabin and dust filters save some.

pimpingml350 05-06-2017 11:08 AM

they want 1600 for 60k.70k.80k service . just the 60k is 800 bucks

sadpanda 05-06-2017 12:34 PM

The only maintenance downside to your ML is that it's a diesel.

If you enjoy the car, why not keep it and cover your backside with a 3rd-party warranty? If you're eligible for USAA, you can get 36mo/36k miles coverage for $4,253. That might seem steep, gives you three years of peace of mind. That amount will still be a lot lower than any depreciation if you buy a comparable newer vehicle. Other companies like Fidelity might be comparable in price and coverage. Or you could hedge and squirrel away $4k as a repair fund.

Oil changes can be done cheaper at home. I just bought a Mityvac 7201 and was able to do a complete oil change without getting under the car or getting my shirt dirty. Very easy and no mess. If you're changing every 5k miles, DIYing will save you a ton of money. Likewise, air filters are a straightforward DIY. Just document everything. My dealer doesn't mind if I DIY certain parts of the service, and they then do the rest (especially the inspection, more advanced fluid changes, etc.).

jkaetz 05-12-2017 01:22 PM

We have a 2011 Bluetec with 83k. So far we've replaced a NOx sensor, timing chain, oil cooler seals, and most recently the DPF pressure differential switch all out of warranty and we're still under the $4k we would have spent on the warranty. Bonus is that the vehicle is paid off. I do the brakes, oil, fuel, and air filter changes and have a non MB shop do the other repairs and maintenance. I did tackle the DPF pressure switch as it was relatively easy to access. Find a non MB shop for repairs. For comparison the dealer quoted me $3300 for the oil cooler seals and the other shop quoted $1400 and I actually got to talk to a tech that know what the job entailed not just a service adviser that tells you how much it will cost. Just find a good one that know's what they're doing. I figure until the wife hates the vehicle or the repairs get to be about $4k/year we're better off keeping it than buying something new.

HAILERS2 05-14-2017 10:08 PM

2014 with 85k. No what I'd call "major" problems. Driving it to Washington state and up into Canada rockies from Texas , come summer.......so I guess you'd say I trust it. Going on my third set of tires come sometime this week if I find the time to buy 'em.

edit: oops, did have to get two new NOX sensors last year. I don't call that major since I could have still driven the vehicle most anywhere as it was. Major problems to me are ones that mean I can't drive it at all.