M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2014 Audi A8L vs 2014 ML 350

Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
2014 Audi A8L vs 2014 ML 350

Guys I’m between purchasing a 2014 ML350 or a 2014 Audi A8L 3.0 v6. The ML and A8 are both cpo and have around 50,000 miles. Which on One of the two cars would be the most reliable? I read some reviews on the A8 and the reliability reviews are mixed. Which ever car I go with I’ll bebholding onto it for about 5 years. I also live in Chicago and need to get around snow
Old 03-18-2019, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
It depends what you value more.

The a8 will be more comfortable and luxurious. The ml more utilitarian.

The a8 is a great option with quattro and winter tires.
So is the ml.
The engine in the audi is superior compared to the 3.5 v6.

If you don't need the space of the ml I would go for the a8. It's just a better finished interior and more passenger space. I think the a8 also came with air suspension.

With Both you shoukd get the elw. The audi the cpo pure protection. The mb the mbo cpo elw.
The audi will have a longer warranty period. With any luxury car you'll run into reliability issues, it's better to get the approved genuine warranty extension and benefit from loaner avaklivilty and no or very small warranty deductible.

Supposedly the service treatment of an a8 owner is more personalised than of other audi models.

Last edited by kombifan; 03-18-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Mayback
2 different vehicles. The A8 is about 20K more than that ML new. More complex. The air suspension alone on the A8 is a headache and money pit out of warranty and with high miles. Not a matter of if it will fail, but when. I owned an 07 A8L for 8 years. I've since vowed never to own another vehicle with air suspension out of warranty. My ML350 has gas shocks. At times, I averaged $3,000 a year on maintenance/service items on my A8. That 3.0 turbo also scares me out of warranty. The ML is naturally aspirated.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
Both of you thank you so much for the input. After careful consideration, reading up multiple consumer reviews I felt the ML-350 fit my particular needs regarding reliability, ground clearance and comfort. I’m sure the A8 is a phenomenal vehicle it’s just with the snow in Chicago sometimes you don’t have time to wait for a plow, you just need to drive over whatever is infront of you. In addition, I feel like MB and Toyota are the gold standard when it comes to constructing true SUVs, they have been doing it for decades so I felt I couldn’t go wrong with the ML. I purchased it today and am extremely happy.

Originally Posted by kombifan
It depends what you value more.

The a8 will be more comfortable and luxurious. The ml more utilitarian.

The a8 is a great option with quattro and winter tires.
So is the ml.
The engine in the audi is superior compared to the 3.5 v6.

If you don't need the space of the ml I would go for the a8. It's just a better finished interior and more passenger space. I think the a8 also came with air suspension.

With Both you shoukd get the elw. The audi the cpo pure protection. The mb the mbo cpo elw.
The audi will have a longer warranty period. With any luxury car you'll run into reliability issues, it's better to get the approved genuine warranty extension and benefit from loaner avaklivilty and no or very small warranty deductible.

Supposedly the service treatment of an a8 owner is more personalised than of other audi models.
Originally Posted by WillieMack
2 different vehicles. The A8 is about 20K more than that ML new. More complex. The air suspension alone on the A8 is a headache and money pit out of warranty and with high miles. Not a matter of if it will fail, but when. I owned an 07 A8L for 8 years. I've since vowed never to own another vehicle with air suspension out of warranty. My ML350 has gas shocks. At times, I averaged $3,000 a year on maintenance/service items on my A8. That 3.0 turbo also scares me out of warranty. The ML is naturally aspirated.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by sixers
Both of you thank you so much for the input. After careful consideration, reading up multiple consumer reviews I felt the ML-350 fit my particular needs regarding reliability, ground clearance and comfort. I’m sure the A8 is a phenomenal vehicle it’s just with the snow in Chicago sometimes you don’t have time to wait for a plow, you just need to drive over whatever is infront of you. In addition, I feel like MB and Toyota are the gold standard when it comes to constructing true SUVs, they have been doing it for decades so I felt I couldn’t go wrong with the ML. I purchased it today and am extremely happy.
Thats great! Remember if it's cpo and you don't like anything about it you do have a 5 day exchange privilege.

Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Mayback
Originally Posted by sixers
Congrats. I have put 30k miles on my ML 350 in 2 years as a daily driver and have had only scheduled maintenance so far at 80k on the odometer. The A8 is nice, but only own one via lease or cpo. There are 20+ computer modules in the A8. Complex car, parts harder to come by and more expensive. Plus there are way more qualified independent German Mercedes mechanics than there are Audi.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Well you are comparing apples to oranges to begin with. One is a a car one is a SUV. So that alone depends on you. The ML is going to be easier to get in and out of and chances are will have more space. A8 is more complex then 99% of the ML350's around. I will assume the W166 with no Airmatic and the N/A V6 7 Speed Will be proven reliable.