M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

P2201 code after 2 new NOx sensors and SCN coding (readaptation) from MB dealership.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 1966 Ford Mustang Convertible (sold)
P2201 code after 2 new NOx sensors and SCN coding (readaptation) from MB dealership.

Hey everyone...

My BIL is still having CEL issues. P2201 code CEL pops up even after having 2 new NOx sensors installed (by myself and got them off amazon). At first I thought it was because it needed online coding/readaptation from the MB dealership. Well after his appointment, the dreaded CEL came back with the same code! What the heck? I guess it would either be a wiring issue or a faulty brand new sensor?

Has anyone experienced this before? 2013 ML350 BT. Around 135 000 km...

My first step will be contacting the company (GERMBAN) for a warranty claim on both sensors (they come with 2 years warranty). While the new sensors are on their way, I'll check the wiring from the sensor module all the way to the back/front of the car. Is it possible all of this is caused by a wiring issue (in the trunk near the spare tire where the control unit is)? Maybe a fuse?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
If they are not OEM sensors, all bets are off. When it comes to electrical bits, I wouldn't touch anything except OEM... seen way too many that don't work.

Is P2201 the only code? Where does he fill up -- what brand diesel fuel is in the car? I know of several instances of that code coming up as a result of the fuel having more than 5% biodiesel content and then disappearing after good fuel is put back in (IIRC it takes a full tank and six starts for the condition to clear itself). Unfortunately with the cheap NOX sensors you can't eliminate then as being the cause.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis
If they are not OEM sensors, all bets are off. When it comes to electrical bits, I wouldn't touch anything except OEM... seen way too many that don't work.

Is P2201 the only code? Where does he fill up -- what brand diesel fuel is in the car? I know of several instances of that code coming up as a result of the fuel having more than 5% biodiesel content and then disappearing after good fuel is put back in (IIRC it takes a full tank and six starts for the condition to clear itself). Unfortunately with the cheap NOX sensors you can't eliminate then as being the cause.
Hey Diabolis,

Thanks for the informative response. P2201 is the only code popping up. Regarding the diesel well, he fills up at Ultramard (-2c on Tuesdays). As far as I know, they don’t use biodiesel...

I’ll initiate a warranty claim/return on the sensors and try my luck with another batch...worst case scenario I’ll order OEM sensors. I’ll also check for wiring issues just to rule that out...
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
All suppliers in Canada use some amount of biodiesel (the usual is around 5% or B5; Ontario mandates a minimum of 4% biodiesel content). Biodiesel combustion produces higher NOx emissions than traditional diesel, hence you may get said code on fuel with higher biodiesel content which is becoming more and more common in the US where corn production is heavily subsidized. Ultramar is Parkland-owned, which sources its fuel from multiple suppliers so the fuel quality is not as consistent as the big names in the industry, but it is still normal B5 diesel... we're not talking fine red wine here. You can ask him to fill up at a different station next time to see if it makes a difference, but I highly doubt it.

If there are no other codes I'd still be barking at the NOx sensors. DAS Xentry would show you what the readings are (plus you need it to do the adaptation anyway), but I gather you don't have it. The OEM sensors are unfortunately not cheap (about $2K CAD for both), but that's the price of owning a Mercedes.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Diabolis
All suppliers in Canada use some amount of biodiesel (the usual is around 5% or B5; Ontario mandates a minimum of 4% biodiesel content). Biodiesel combustion produces higher NOx emissions than traditional diesel, hence you may get said code on fuel with higher biodiesel content which is becoming more and more common in the US where corn production is heavily subsidized. Ultramar is Parkland-owned, which sources its fuel from multiple suppliers so the fuel quality is not as consistent as the big names in the industry, but it is still normal B5 diesel... we're not talking fine red wine here. You can ask him to fill up at a different station next time to see if it makes a difference, but I highly doubt it.

If there are no other codes I'd still be barking at the NOx sensors. DAS Xentry would show you what the readings are (plus you need it to do the adaptation anyway), but I gather you don't have it. The OEM sensors are unfortunately not cheap (about $2K CAD for both), but that's the price of owning a Mercedes.
As for buying NoX sensor, the price in Canada is 836 CND + 13 % tax and I purchased both sensors in USA (300 USD back + 400 $ front - speaking from memory). If you are going buy sensors, you can try that. I got problem with one sensor but I have changed both once I get reasonable price (I didn't want pay 2x adaption and other 'best or nothing' BS). The next time when I get similar problem, I am going invest in DPF/EGR delete

I agree with Diabolis about quality of diesel. I stick with one brand (Petro Canada) and usually, I try to fill on same gas station (if possible).
Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 ml63 and 2014 ml350 bluetec
its common for aftermarket nox to throw error, sometimes bad cat can cause nox error as well. i'm even surprised dealer did scn coding for you on a aftermarket nox. another option is to delete adblue off complete.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Well I contacted the Amazon seller and he apologized and is sending me a brand new front NOx sensor at no cost. It should arrive today. Fingers crossed it will fix the CEL issue...I'll keep this thread updated...
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml350 4matic gas 2014
Originally Posted by Potrice
Well I contacted the Amazon seller and he apologized and is sending me a brand new front NOx sensor at no cost. It should arrive today. Fingers crossed it will fix the CEL issue...I'll keep this thread updated...
HI

I also need to replace the nox sensors and I was considering to buy the same one you bought from amazon.
did you solve the problem?
the sensor they sent you was defective?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by rafid
HI

I also need to replace the nox sensors and I was considering to buy the same one you bought from amazon.
did you solve the problem?
the sensor they sent you was defective?
Still hasn’t worked. He’s throwing in the white towel and going the delete route.