MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M113 V8 Kompressor Platform (https://mbworld.org/forums/m113-v8-kompressor-platform-143/)
-   -   While I am replacing the valve cover gaskets... (https://mbworld.org/forums/m113-v8-kompressor-platform/560748-while-i-am-replacing-valve-cover-gaskets.html)

GrepAwk 10-20-2014 04:39 PM

While I am replacing the valve cover gaskets...

Does anybody have additional advice for what to do/check/replace/repair or upgrade while I have the Valve Covers off the engine? I have an oil leak around the coils (both sides) that I believe is leaking down to the bell housing and out toward the transmission.

I purchased new VC gaskets.

- supercharger gaskets?
- throttle body items?
- other stuff in the Valley?

- will I have to pull off the fuel rail(s) to get to the Vc gaskets?

- check valve clearances?
- replace any other gaskets beside the stock VC gaskets?
- any hand forming if gaskets with RTV required?

While I am in the neighborhood...

rockthemullet 10-21-2014 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by GrepAwk (Post 6204017)
Does anybody have additional advice for what to do/check/replace/repair or upgrade while I have the Valve Covers off the engine? I have an oil leak around the coils (both sides) that I believe is leaking down to the bell housing and out toward the transmission.

I purchased new VC gaskets.

- supercharger gaskets? You could replace the surge tank and manifold gaskets if they're in bad shape. These are pretty cheap but they're high quality so you're probably fine
- throttle body items? Nothing really... if it's dirty you could clean it
- other stuff in the Valley? The only thing left in the valley would be knock sensors and easier access to the map sensor if the supercharger is removed. Note: none of this stuff has to be done if you're only doing valve cover gaskets, the supercharger never has to come off

- will I have to pull off the fuel rail(s) to get to the Vc gaskets? Nope, completely separate. You will need to remove the fuel line from the fuel rail and the driver side surge tank to get at the metal vac line bolted to the valve cover that snakes into the supercharger inlet.

- check valve clearances? Never heard of any issues and it's not adjustable anyway. The only thing you could do is valve seals but that's a much larger job.
- replace any other gaskets beside the stock VC gaskets? Not necessary
- any hand forming if gaskets with RTV required? Not within a vcg job. When I pull the blower I like to dab a little Mercedes FIPG (fixed in place gasket, I would not use generic RTV) on the bottom side of the manifold gaskets just to keep them in place.

While I am in the neighborhood...

Valve cover gaskets is like a 45 minute job, easy peasy. I would probably call this the least intrusive of any engine work. My only suggestion is to cover the manifold ports with something when you pull the driver side surge tank... I actually killed a motor with an M6 washer when I didn't cover them.

GrepAwk 10-27-2014 12:32 AM

Rock the mullet

Thank you for the advice.

I especially liked the line "the supercharger never has to come off."

From bird's eye view, it looks pretty straight forward and worth the risk. I will make sip urge i do it when the forecast calls for clear skies and zero chance for falling m6 washers.

GrepAwk 10-27-2014 11:02 PM

Coil plugs

I also noticed a uniform coat of oil spreading out on the tops of the coil plugs. I suspected the vcg but maybe you can tell me if there is a separate gasket ABOVE the spark plug coils that would allow oil to pass through.

rockthemullet 10-28-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by GrepAwk (Post 6211964)
I also noticed a uniform coat of oil spreading out on the tops of the coil plugs. I suspected the vcg but maybe you can tell me if there is a separate gasket ABOVE the spark plug coils that would allow oil to pass through.

Nothing should be up there except possibly the vacuum lines coming out of the top of the valve covers and pulling into the throttle body. If these are disconnected or one is cut, I suppose it COULD mist oil. Aside from that, it's probably the valve cover gasket leak combined with turbulent air in the engine bay

clsjack 02-19-2015 03:04 PM

Use only MB gaskets or you will be doing the job twice.
Ask me how I know.
Good time to do your plugs while you're in there.

GrepAwk 06-27-2015 06:27 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by clsjack (Post 6336413)
Use only MB gaskets or you will be doing the job twice.
Ask me how I know.
Good time to do your plugs while you're in there.

Finally getting around to this. I have found that the leaks slow down when my oil level is 1/2 quart down. Doesn't make sense, but at least it's not dribbling on the garage floor now.

I have MB gaskets ready to go. I could not find FIBG from MB. I see a lot of Toyota spec FIBG on the Internet. Do you buy from a MB dealer?

Also, any torque specs for the Valve Cover bolts?

biker349 06-27-2015 07:50 PM

i am sure there are torque specs and possibly need to replace old bolts. better check this out before you start.

GrepAwk 09-01-2015 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by biker349 (Post 6479309)
i am sure there are torque specs and possibly need to replace old bolts. better check this out before you start.

I just used estimated torque that I figured would be good enough and not strip the aluminum. We shall see how well it seals.

One note of caution about the small screws attaching the small breather covers that are on top of the valve covers; those screws are very weak. I stripped the head off one just from turning it through the gasket material. Hopefully there's enough gasket material around and in the hole so that I don't get a vacuum leak. It's not worth taking off in my opinion because some of the other cover bolts that go all the way down to the heads are holding it down too. But definitely will have to fix the next time I have to do the VCGs.

GrepAwk 12-01-2015 12:06 PM

Thanks also for the advice on changing the plugs. It was time. Used the closest matching NGK to the stock specs I could find.

Also replaced one coil that looked oil-soaked. Didn't notice any effect good or bad. Now I have a used spare.

I did not pull the supercharger, so will save that gasket for another year.

I was surprised by how much oil is sumped up inside the heads in various pockets when the engine is turned off. It just sits up there. I expect that's by design. Probably helps get oil to the valve train fast at startup time before the oil pump has built pressure.

I didn't check for any backlash or clearance. Just ood and ahd and bolted it back together. No new oil leaks so far.