M156 V8 Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M156 V8 6.2L engine. Including SL63 AMG, CL63 AMG, S63 AMG, E63 AMG, CLS63 AMG, C63 AMG, CLL63 AMG, ML63 AMG, R63 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Plug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
Oil Cooler Plug

i just changed the oil on my 2007 E63 and went by alldata.they recommend dropping both oil plugs,one for the pan and the one on the cooler.

i noticed in another thread that one of us asked the AMG lounge if it was to be changed and they replied."it is not convenient to change both plugs and that only the pan plug was necessary".

anyway,my question is why?the cooler holds over 1qt.this is probably the first time in the cars life that it has actually taken the full 9.3qts of oil at an oil change.i also want to say that the oil that came out of the cooler seemed to be blacker than the oil out of the pan.

the dealer sold me the filter with a copper gasket and then a nickel gasket for the oil cooler plug,so obviously it was meant to be dropped at one point or another.the AMG lounge was right about one thing,that is it was not convenient,had to remove both skid plates instead of just one.

i am glad i went ahead and did both plugs,and i can't figure out why they would say not to do it?

is it like the transmission service,where my dealer refused to drain the Torque Converter?is the TC also not convenient,even though it has a plug which is easily dropped for draining?i actually had to get an indy shop do the transmission service b/c the dealer refused to drain the TC.wow.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
How did you access the cooler? I am doing mine tomorrow for the first time, and I did read as well on All Data to drain the cooler...but Im unsure of its location in looking from under the car.

Thanks
Les
Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 AM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

Originally Posted by masonh66
i just changed the oil on my 2007 E63 and went by alldata.they recommend dropping both oil plugs,one for the pan and the one on the cooler.

i noticed in another thread that one of us asked the AMG lounge if it was to be changed and they replied."it is not convenient to change both plugs and that only the pan plug was necessary".

anyway,my question is why?the cooler holds over 1qt.this is probably the first time in the cars life that it has actually taken the full 9.3qts of oil at an oil change.i also want to say that the oil that came out of the cooler seemed to be blacker than the oil out of the pan.

the dealer sold me the filter with a copper gasket and then a nickel gasket for the oil cooler plug,so obviously it was meant to be dropped at one point or another.the AMG lounge was right about one thing,that is it was not convenient,had to remove both skid plates instead of just one.

i am glad i went ahead and did both plugs,and i can't figure out why they would say not to do it?

is it like the transmission service,where my dealer refused to drain the Torque Converter?is the TC also not convenient,even though it has a plug which is easily dropped for draining?i actually had to get an indy shop do the transmission service b/c the dealer refused to drain the TC.wow.
Dropping both drain plugs is not convenient + it increases the time your rod and main bearings are running metal to metal = increased friction wear.

The Torque Converter may be due to:
* Transmission failures linked with draining both at the same time.
* A technical service bulletin.

roy@pelicanparts.com

Old 07-31-2012, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
you did not take this statement in context.

There is a second drain plug on the front of the oil pan which they were referring to. I know because the answer was to a question I asked. I did not ask about the oil cooler.

Personally, I don't bother. At 100kmiles, all is well.

As for the TC on the tranny, not all had the drain plug. But, if it does it should be drained per MB procedures. If you are quoting PL stuff, you can find more detail there.

Last edited by Jon2007E63P30; 07-31-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS 63 amg
Originally Posted by masonh66

Do you have the part # on that nickel gasket for the oil cooler drain plug?