M156 V8 Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M156 V8 6.2L engine. Including SL63 AMG, CL63 AMG, S63 AMG, E63 AMG, CLS63 AMG, C63 AMG, CLL63 AMG, ML63 AMG, R63 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML63 Charging Problems

Old 11-30-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
Question ML63 Charging Problems

I bought a 2007 ML63. 6.2.

I noticed in the service parts-records it had already had two alternators – all genuine MB parts. After taking delivery and a few days driving, I noticed the voltage indicator showing 12.4-12.6V… after a decent amount of driving including a 200mile trip.

The symptom was “a slight dip” in engine cranking speed before it sped up and started. NEVER failed to start.

I got it checked at my independent garage - MB conversant – and they said “weak battery”.

So the battery was changed for a MB battery. No improvement.

Then a few weeks later I took it in for a replacement alternator and belt – MB Genuine – slight improvement in the charging voltage showing… showing 13.4V after a 10-12 mile drive… but still that “slight engine cranking speed dip” at the start of the cranking cycle… symptomatic of a lazy starter.

Then after a few months, I got the starter changed – MB Genuine. We noticed the alternator to earth cable was FORD – changed that to MB Genuine. (this will not affect it… but MB is MB…).

The starter behaviour is better… but the charging voltage is still low… and now – I am out of ideas…

Any ideas/suggestions? Car has NEW MB Battery, alternator and starter.

Nawaz Khan