M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual Misfire Only at Cold Start all One Bank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech, 2005 SL500, 1992 Rolls Royce Silver Spur II, 1975 FJ40 Landcruiser Full Resto
Unusual Misfire Only at Cold Start all One Bank

greetings and thanks for any help. 2004 SL600 runs great and strong all the time with one exception. Use car every day and once every few weeks at cold start get misfire on all passenger side cylinders and exactly the same misfires until bank shuts down. To be clear cylinders 1-6 will misfire exactly the same up to 14 misfires and then that bank (1-6) shuts down.

Have OBD tool and watch misfire on cold start when passenger bank does not shut down and with cold start (as warms up) I have slight misfires on both passenger and drivers sides on various cylinders until warm up and then all cylinders fire beautifully with no misfires for all driving. This I would think is generally ok until warm up simply because of cold start.

When passenger side misfire happens problem will then correct itself after either a few attempts of on and off - or - I leave car alone for awhile and come back - starts up (with normal random cold start misfires) and all is well again.

I do not like wasting money or time until I know what issue is so at this point these characteristics lead me to generalize voltage transformer and coils packs are not clear culprits since they run well with no real misfires with exception of problem described.

Any ideas jump out to anyone? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2016, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
It's a total thing, my car does something similar. In what i've seen from other people's issues here and normal troubleshooting, it's plugs, coils, and transformer. Anybody who has done one part, never really solved the problem until they do all of it. New plugs help, but just changing the plugs puts new loads on the coils, which they don't handle well after 10 years of being the same.

My solution on my car is going to be chaging everything out in one go. Not cheap or logical but i'm not gonna do one at a time and have to take the car apart on 3 occasions. Just gonna set myself up one day and do it all in one pass.