MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform (https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-bi-turbo-platform-142/)
-   -   Unusually Cold Weather cause ABC leaks? (https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-bi-turbo-platform/694886-unusually-cold-weather-cause-abc-leaks.html)

Polar Bear 01-09-2018 05:42 PM

Unusually Cold Weather cause ABC leaks?

My <40k W221 S600 is normally stored inside, and has been driven <1,000 miles over the past year. For complex reasons, the place where it is stored needed additional room made temporarily, so I had to park it outside for a short period of time, not expecting the frigid 3˚F nights we have been having. Without starting the engine, hydraulic oil was noticed pooling underneath the vehicle. After starting the engine, I noticed in front of the of the radiator on the driver's side a drop of fluid that would drop about every second, so it has clearly sprung a leak. I have not examined underneath the car yet to see exactly the source of the leak, but is there any possibility the cold weather could have anything to do with it? It wasn't even driven any distance when placed outside for a few nights - only a few feet. It has not started sagging or displayed any MIL.

Thanks!

Welwynnick 01-10-2018 03:13 PM

Was it oil or water?

Nick

alexanderfoti 01-11-2018 01:43 PM

Yes, check the colour of fluid and see.

LGAFF 01-11-2018 02:47 PM

I just replaced my coolant turbo seals...I think temp does affect those. Last year when I put my car away I noticed a small coolant puddle....never found the leak.....never came back until this winter it was much larger.....and found coolant coming from DS turbos

LGAFF 01-28-2018 08:54 AM

So interesting enough, I now have some leaks in ABC after sitting and colder than normal weather.......last year I replaced a shock and front line to the passenger side shock when I noticed some leaks while sitting......seeing leaking from the 2 high pressure lines that come off the pump.....thoughts?

Polar Bear 02-17-2018 11:34 PM

My car has actually been sitting since I posted the original post. I was able to get a better view of the leak, but need to do some disassembly to get to it better which I hope to get to this week. This is what coincided with the very cold temperatures it was left out overnight in, and only for two or three.

Please take a look and see what you think:
Did the pulsation damper crack?

LGAFF 02-18-2018 12:07 AM

I have a different setup.......damper is down in the DS fender

Polar Bear 02-18-2018 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by LGAFF (Post 7383779)
I have a different setup.......damper is down in the DS fender

I will be able to tell much more as soon as I remove the air filter, IC, and coil pack. From what I read, that is all that has to be removed to remove the accumulator.

I noticed in your list of cars that you list a 1992 ZR-1. I also owned a 1992 ZR-1, VIN #32, Black/Tan. Blast to drive!

alexanderfoti 02-18-2018 05:14 AM

Possibly the O ring on the pulsation damper itself.

LGAFF 02-18-2018 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 7383838)
I will be able to tell much more as soon as I remove the air filter, IC, and coil pack. From what I read, that is all that has to be removed to remove the accumulator.

I noticed in your list of cars that you list a 1992 ZR-1. I also owned a 1992 ZR-1, VIN #32, Black/Tan. Blast to drive!

Yep, I added nitrous to my ported and cammed 90 last year, it made 441RWHP prior to adding it, have to get fueling worked out are you a member for ZR1.net? I have done porting on 16 ZR-1 intakes, don't do it was much as I used to also had the cam cover emblems reproduced as well as made MAP sensor covers for them https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...508df7ac66.jpg

UNderdog 02-18-2018 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 7383838)

If your pulsation damper is attached to the pump which it should be on a W221, all you need to do is remove the air intake tube leading to the air filter on the drivers side and you'll be looking right at the damper. Its a really quick job to swap it out. Nothing else needs to come out. Your leak looks like something more though. Remove the air intake tube and see if you can see the leak better.

Randy

Polar Bear 08-27-2018 08:56 AM

It has been a very busy summer and the S600 has been hibernating. The leak is easer to see in this photo. It is below the braided like with the black plastic fastener with the hold for a clip to insert through. I have not spent much time in EPC get a part number yet. Is this a fairly straight forward fix? The color of the hydraulic fluid leads me to believe is has had water contamination.