Marketplace Mercedes-Benz Cars and Parts For Sale Classifieds. Browse new listings, post your items for sale, or list a wanted ad.

1989 420SEL, Whole Car or Possible Part-Out

For Sale

1989 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL

07-26-2021, 09:45 PM | Replies: 0 | Views: 481
  • 1989 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL - 1989 420SEL, Whole Car or Possible Part-Out - Used - VIN wdbca35e0ka454986 - 8 cyl - 2WD - Automatic - Sedan - Silver - Dallas, TX 75218, United States

• Price
    $2,000
    • OBO
  • Location Dallas, TX, 75218, USA
  • Condition Used
  • VIN wdbca35e0ka454986
  • Engine 8 cyl
  • Drive Type 2WD
  • Transmission Automatic
  • Vehicle Type Sedan
  • Exterior Color Silver
Description:

[Scroll Down for Image Gallery and Video Links]

It's time to sell my 420. Smoke Silver/Saddle.  I've owned the car 2 1/2 years and bought it from the original owner, a Dallas surgeon. Car has been, and is now in Dallas, TX

Interior is a 9.5/10

Exterior paint is 3/10, it needs a repaint to look its best.

Exterior body panel condition is maybe 7/10 (small dents/dings consistent with Texas weather and normal use).  Very light surface rust patch on the trunk lid above the star emblem.

Good: 

• Runs, drives, shifts, and stops well. 
  • Starts within 1 second of ignition key rotation
  • Brand new Goodyear tires, wheels in VG condition.
  • Interior near perfect. No cracks or splits in leather, just light wear on the driver seat bolster. No dash cracks.
  • A/C and Heat work, though A/C sometimes goes intermittent lately with temps over 100 degrees F.
  • No overheating issues, runs cool at 90 degrees C or less.
  • Nearly all power accessories work.  RR window slider is broken, so window is fixed in "up" position.
  • New Alpine stereo with Bluetooth, USB, etc.
  • Large stack of records from new, incl. original window sticker and sale paperwork.
  • Most of fuel system replaced within last years of PO's ownership, including fuel distributor.
  • All vacuum lines replaced by PO.
  • PO stated newer radiator and cooling system components.
  • No leaks, no oil burn.
  • New plugs.
  • Tracks straight on the highway with no unusual shakes or issues.  PO stated many front suspension parts and steering parts had been replaced in the not-distant past.
  • I'm confident the car could be driven home from Dallas to just about anywhere.

Not-so-good:
  • PO's records indicate a timing chain guide rail break at around 95,000 or so miles. Dealer paperwork indicates chain and rails were replaced.  No mention of bent valves, and no mention of valve/head work.  Either little/no damage or the dealer didn't want to deal with it because the car seemed to run fine.  Your guess is as good as mine on this, but it does run strong with no apparent issues some 20k miles and two-ish decades later.
  • Slight shake at idle.  Suspect a small vacuum leak, or maybe an engine mount is going.  Maybe both?
  • Cruise control inop.
  • There is a slight tick at idle.  This is present only after the EGR pump is off and after the engine is at temperature.  First thought was a lifter, but considering the timing of symptoms, could easily/likely be a small exhaust leak in the crossover pipe area.
  • Small water leak after heavy rain near driver-side top windshield corner.  No water damage to interior, but it's annoying.  I suspect re-sealing the windshield would address it.  Small water leak in the trunk.  No rust.  No damage.  Dries quickly. Suspect right rear tail light seal.
  • Antenna mount is damaged (my fault-- car wash and forgot to put it down).
$2000:  Interior is especially nice.  Wheels/tires are near-perfect.  Fuel system components are all newer and functional.  Doors/fenders/body panels, etc. are all straight with light dings. Front suspension and steering components are all good.  

IMGUR Gallery

Last edited by Flynscot; 09-25-2021 at 05:29 PM. Reply