05 SL driver window "short stroke" problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
05 SL driver window "short stroke" problem

One day there was a "very expensive" noise that came from the driver side of the car right when the door was closed. It took awhile to discover what might be wrong, but I finally noticed the driver window does not move down the 4mm as speced by the repair guide (See below). This 4mm window setback is called "short stroke".

I want to go into the door to see if I can repair it, but have no experience in removing the door panel or getting to the window and the motor. There are plenty of threads about removing the door panel, etc, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this same problem with the short stroke.

The lack of sufficient short stroke on the driver side window results in the vario roof not aligning properly when put up with the windows up. The driver door window interferes with the roof alignment and attachment because it is too high, and thus causes the roof pins not to mate properly (a real scary situation). The work around is to lower the window before putting up the roof, but fixing it might be fun too. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails 05 SL driver window "short stroke" problem-short-stroke.jpg