Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Further Breaking News!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
Unhappy Further Breaking News!!!!!!

MONTOYA WILL NOT RACE STARTING FROM THE FRENCH GP AND SO FORTH !!!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Any further details on this? A link to the story perhaps?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Just last night I was saying that maybe I would see montoyas last race win in Monza! This truly is shocking... I guess he never even made the flight back to Europe.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

And a link to the story

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=123802
Old 07-11-2006, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Question Even Further Breaking news!!!!

...from F1-Live.com

ll eyes on NASCAR
Villeneuve and Hakkinen taking a look
11/07/06 09:57

Villeneuve looking at his options for next year

Another F1 refugee might slip down the NASCAR escape-hatch, according to reports.

Barely a day after Juan Pablo Montoya announced his decision to swap Grand Prix racing for the world of oval-based tin-tops, it has emerged that fellow former Indy 500 winner Jacques Villeneuve's recent comments about NASCAR might also be kosher.

NASCAR team Roush Racing's president Geoff Smith told the US media that representatives for the BMW Sauber racer have made 'probing' enquiries, while another former World Champion, DTM runner Mika Hakkinen, attended a recent race in the States.

"I just feel it in the air," Smith was quoted as saying by Sports Illustrated. "They're poking around."

35-year-old Villeneuve, meanwhile, told the Toronto Sun News: "Going to NASCAR might not be such a bad career move. I would not consider it a step down."

Source GMM
CAPSIS International

Old 07-11-2006, 04:50 PM

C32
it's not a step down as long as he's pocketing cash. So is flipping burgers at McD's in the same light.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:00 PM
ON PROBATION

Jul 10, 2006
AP Sports

Montoya's Transition to NASCAR Not Easy
The European auto racing establishment will expect Juan Pablo Montoya to dominate NASCAR, quickly putting less sophisticated drivers in their proper place: second. While Montoya himself seems prepared for a tough transition from Formula One to NASCAR, the racing elitists he'll leave behind might be in for a surprise.

NASCAR folks have seen too many flashy open-wheel drivers enter stock car racing expecting to extend their careers and make some easy money, only to walk away humbled. They understand that Montoya - who announced on Sunday that he will leave F1 at the end of the season to drive for old pal Chip Ganassi in NASCAR - is a different driver in a different situation than, say, Christian Fittipaldi or Paul Tracy.

But they also know this NASCAR stuff isn't as simple as it looks. Jeff Gordon, who swapped race cars with Montoya for a 2003 exhibition event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, said the Colombian star is in for a short-term rough ride. "But I respect the fact that he knows that," Gordon said. "That he knows he's talented and he's got a team that's committed to him. And I think over time, it's going to be a long road, but I think he's going to do a fantastic job and I think it's great for the sport."

Montoya seemed sincere Sunday when he said he doesn't expect immediate success. "I think a lot of people are going to build this up to be, 'He's going to come in and he's going to win and he's going to do great things,'" Montoya said. "And of course I want to do that, that's what I think Chip hired me for. But I think it's going to be a lot tougher than people think."

The early NASCAR scouting report says Montoya will contend for victories at the two road-course races next year. But to become a well-rounded NASCAR driver, he will have to work hard to adjust to a new sport - and a new culture.

The list of open-wheel drivers who tried NASCAR but didn't stick includes Fittipaldi, Tracy, Scott Pruett, Max Papis and Jimmy Vasser. "I don't think many of them have come in with the right mind-set of just how tough it's going to be," said Petty Enterprises executive vice president Robbie Loomis. "I think that'll be Juan's greatest asset: I think he understands how difficult a task he'll be up against."

But that's not the only reason Montoya could succeed where others failed. Sure, Fittipaldi drove in F1 - but Montoya won there. At age 30, Montoya is an F1 elder but could have 10 good years left in NASCAR. He's going to an established team with solid sponsorship. And he is, by all accounts, a phenomenal talent who has won in different styles of racing.

But after six years in the most exotic racing machines on the planet, Montoya will find himself in a much heavier car with skinnier tires and none of the fancy electronic gadgets that help F1 cars go fast. Before driving Gordon's car at Indy, Montoya needed a refresher course on working a manual clutch. "It's the difference between an F-18 and a tractor," Roush Racing president Geoff Smith said. Montoya also will need a wholesale attitude adjustment after developing an all-or-nothing reputation in F1, where teammates occasionally were the victim of his aggressive tactics.

That might be part of the reason Montoya didn't receive an offer enticing enough to stay in F1. And it certainly won't fly in NASCAR, where winning takes a back seat to consistent good finishes and wrecking a teammate makes enemies with crew guys who have to fix both cars.

Then there are basic cultural differences. After living in bubble where fan access is severely restricted, how will he handle being mobbed in the garage? Can he and his family - Montoya and his wife, Connie, are expecting their second child - handle living on the infield in a motorhome for 38 weekends a year? And there's no delicate way to put this: The caviar in Talladega, Ala. is decidedly subpar. "They need to adopt to this culture in order for this to succeed," Smith said.

But if it works, Montoya might not be the only F1 winner interested in taking a spin in NASCAR. Smith said Jacques Villeneuve's representatives have made "probing" inquiries into NASCAR, retired F1 champion Mika Hakkinen attended a recent race at Dover International Speedway and Smith has talked to marketing companies that represent several other European drivers. "I just feel it in the air," Smith said. "They're poking around."

But before they start building an espresso bar in the Martinsville infield, let's see how Montoya bounces back from getting spun out by Robby Gordon.

I think it's great stuff. Why not make a move? Racing is a business, you know....
Old 07-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Tell me about it NOLA! I figured he would take Monza or the Brasilian GP ! This is total BS ! no more overtaking in F1 this blows !
Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Wow, people on F1 forums were speculating this and i guess it might happen ?! They also suggested MW moving to NASCAR!...i have to admit F1 is b ecoming! The cutting edge of marketing and technology, not motorsport as it should be.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 AM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
wow.. i am happy i got to see him in person in canada.. he'll be missed
Old 07-12-2006, 03:18 AM
ON PROBATION

And the latest, latest:

Jul 11, 2006
AP Auto Racing

F1 Team Releases Montoya From Contract
NASCAR fans might get a look at open-wheel racing star Juan Pablo Montoya a lot sooner than expected.
Montoya, who announced Sunday at Chicagoland Speedway that he will drive for former boss Chip Ganassi next season in NASCAR, is leaving Formula One's McLaren Mercedes team immediately.

"Team McLaren Mercedes and Juan Pablo Montoya have mutually agreed for him to step down in the forthcoming races of this year's Formula One World Championship," McLaren CEO and chairman Ron Dennis said Tuesday. "We have agreed that, with so many things happening in Juan Pablo's life right now, he should take some time out of the car and prepare professionally and personally for the future."

Instead of resting up, though, Montoya could take advantage of the early release to get some experience in stock cars, a totally foreign form of racing to the 30-year-old Colombian driver, who has spent his entire career in open-wheel cars.

Ganassi told The Associated Press on Tuesday he does not yet know the details of the driver's release from McLaren, but that it means Montoya could race in Nextel Cup events this season.

"This is all new. But, if Juan is available earlier than we expected, our program for him will definitely get an early start," Ganassi said.

In making the announcement Sunday, Ganassi said that Montoya would replace Casey Mears in the team's No. 42 Dodge in 2007. Mears is moving to Hendrick Motorsports.
Ganassi also said Sunday that Montoya likely will make a few starts in the Busch Series after the F1 season ends in October to get started on what could be a tough transition.

Asked Tuesday if the possibility of having Montoya in NASCAR earlier than expected means he could also run a few Nextel Cup events before the end of this season, Ganassi said, "It's certainly possible, but that's about the third or fourth step in this whole situation. We need to know all the details first before we start making plans."

Montoya won a CART series championship in 1999 and the Indianapolis 500 in 2000, both while driving for Ganassi. During that time, the driver and team owner also became close friends, and Ganassi acknowledges he is excited by the prospect of getting back together sooner than expected.
"The thing about Juan is he adapts so quickly," Ganassi said. "That has always been one of the best things about him as a driver. It's going to be really interesting and fun to see him get into stock cars."

After his success in American open-wheel racing, Montoya moved to F1 with Team Williams in 2001 and was expected to become an instant championship contender. But he fell short of expectations with Williams and, after moving to McLaren in 2005, also was disappointing with that team.
He never finished better than third in the F1 drivers championship and won just seven races in 95 starts. Montoya was sixth in this year's F1 standings.

Now, he is bringing his all-out racing style to NASCAR, switching from the agile, 1,300-pound F1 cars to the 3,400-pound behemoths of NASCAR.

"I know that it will be a tough transition, but I'm really excited about the opportunity to move into the NASCAR championship," Montoya said Tuesday in a statement release by the McLaren team. "I have enjoyed most of my time in Formula One and I'm grateful for this opportunity to settle my personal life and concentrate on my future career."

He will be replaced by test driver Pedro de la Rosa for the rest of the Formula One season. De la Rosa will race alongside McLaren teammate Kimi Raikkonen at the French Grand Prix on Sunday.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:24 AM
ON PROBATION

See my post in the other thread on this topic.

Montoya gone - instantly.

Test driver takes the wheel for the French Grand Prix -- and purportedly the remainder of the season....
Old 07-12-2006, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by egxpimp
Wow, people on F1 forums were speculating this
There is a guy on Montoya's official forum who has been swearing by Montoya quitting F1 and going to Nascar... his nick is something like JPNASCARtupapa. He was something like the town clown and always had a 'just you wait' attitude. Guess who's laughing now?

On a related note, it would be awesome if Montoya raced in a Full Face helmet to distinguish himself from the rednecks!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
monty.bmp (729.1 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by Nola; 07-12-2006 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Man, i hate F1live... those guys have no sense of what they are going to miss by not having Montoya. I HATE MS FANS! ( for the most part now !) i mean i 'm a MS fan! but some of them keep saying JPM is a mediocre driver...wtf ? JPM brought many battles to MS that made him shat in his pants! I dont understand whats wrong with some haters. They say DC is better ?! Dude, JPM has accomplished alot more then DC and many other drives CURRENTLY in F1. I personaly think JPM is the 3rd best driver!

MS
KR
JPM

I do not htink Alfonso is all that great. I just think he has had the upper hand with the R25/26. JPM takes risk that no one does, which makes F1 entertaining. I hate what F1 is turning out to be.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

So what's the difference between Busch series and Cup series?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:01 PM

C230k, A170, Mustang GT Convertable
Originally Posted by Nola
So what's the difference between Busch series and Cup series?
They are actually very similar. The biggest difference is the quality of the drivers and the length of the races.

Technically the major differences in the cars are:
The size of the fuel cell
The size of the carb
The size of the spoilers
The wheel base is slightly shorter

Most differences are to make the Busch car easier to drive.

And to an earlier poster, most if not all cup drivers do wear full face helments and HANS type devices.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by GP2GP
And to an earlier poster, most if not all cup drivers do wear full face helments and HANS type devices.
Goes to show that my Nascar knowledge is limited to what Cole Trickle did on screen.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by ClayJ
See my post in the other thread on this topic.

Montoya gone - instantly.

Test driver takes the wheel for the French Grand Prix -- and purportedly the remainder of the season....
I'm sure this will be a temporary ride for Pedro De La Rosa...He'll be back to testing once McLaren signs another driver
Old 07-12-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Goes to show that my Nascar knowledge is limited to what Cole Trickle did on screen.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Banned

F248 F1
They shuld keep PDLR, and if Ronny wants Hamilton, he should put him as a test driver for a year or so. PDLR does know the mp4-21 better then anyone.

Last edited by egxpimp; 07-12-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Heh.

It's funny, the difference is similar to that of football (American) and soccer.

NASCAR is like football: loud, brash and in-your-face; the back-and-forth scoring in football is the equivalent to the passing in NASCAR; also more tactically complex underneath the surface than it is given credit.

F1 is like soccer: elegant if one is a fan (where the rare pass on track is thought of fondly for years to come, just like a great soccer goal), but not for those who appreciate subtlety (or have short attention spans).
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by NY C32
I'm sure this will be a temporary ride for Pedro De La Rosa...He'll be back to testing once McLaren signs another driver
Yeah, I hear ya -- but like Enrique says, what if the guy turns out to be good - and like so many other athletes sitting in second- or third-string position - once he gets a chance to show what he has, amazes everyone and does a great job?

We shall see, won't we?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Yeah, I hear ya -- but like Enrique says, what if the guy turns out to be good - and like so many other athletes sitting in second- or third-string position - once he gets a chance to show what he has, amazes everyone and does a great job?

We shall see, won't we?
I guess its hard to say for sure. He did well in F-3000 and never had a strong car in F1 so this might be his time.

We will see
Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage

We shall see, won't we?
Folks, Pedro De La Rosa has been in F1 since 1999. He drove for Arrows 1999-2000, and Jaguar 2001-2002. The test drivers among the top three teams are generally better than the second half of the regular grid.

On a related note, it would be awesome if Montoya raced in a Full Face helmet to distinguish himself from the rednecks!
Ehem, NASCAR drivers have been using full face helmets for 10+ years, now, with only one or two notable exceptions (principally Earnhardt Sr.)
Old 07-13-2006, 02:18 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Folks, Pedro De La Rosa has been in F1 since 1999. He drove for Arrows 1999-2000, and Jaguar 2001-2002. The test drivers among the top three teams are generally better than the second half of the regular grid.

Ehem, NASCAR drivers have been using full face helmets for 10+ years, now, with only one or two notable exceptions (principally Earnhardt Sr.)
You can't really say that MB. Look at Bodaer, and Gene ....

With Massa okay..he tested for Ferrari, and then got a seat in the Sauber before driving for Ferrari in a race seat. It is harder then what you think.

PDLR drove for crappy Arrows/Jaguay. He has been doing a great job for Maca, hopefully he will get to keep the race seat and whip Fonzi next year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Further Breaking News!!!!!!