MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-benz-motorsports-racing-25/)
-   -   Singapore - at night with possible rain! (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-benz-motorsports-racing/261478-singapore-night-possible-rain.html)

itcrashed 09-18-2008 06:09 PM

Singapore - at night with possible rain!

Oh man...I can't wait to see this race. They are saying that that rain will be likely - I wonder how far race control would go before red flagging the race.

In any event, I'll make an early prediction that LH will take this race unless Ferrari qualifies 1-2. It's pretty clear that KR will be helping FM.

Saprissa 09-19-2008 03:37 AM

don't you mean Singapore ??

the Malaysian Grand Prix was back in March...

Marshall_K 09-19-2008 12:38 PM

Ferrari troubled in the rain

I think that Ferrari will be scrambling for the right setup. This track will not be ood for them. Night + rain will mean lots of extra camber and wing for them to get heat in the tires. I hope Singapore has a couple of good straights that the Mclaren can strech its legs on since that will be where LH/HK can make serious time on the Ferrari's.

itcrashed 09-19-2008 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Saprissa (Post 3061176)
don't you mean Singapore ??

the Malaysian Grand Prix was back in March...

ur right...my bad...i meant singapore :)

MB-BOB 09-27-2008 03:58 PM

Thread title changed... You're welcome...:D

I just watched the qualifying sessions, my first time to see this track and the lighting.

My conclusion: Mickey Mouse lighting gimic for a Mickey Mouse Track.

Please bring back Imola... please.

Walla 09-27-2008 06:03 PM

beautiful track, much better than the dreary boring tracks we have been seeing.

BMWEATR 09-27-2008 10:46 PM

The track looks sic and the cars look sic at night w/ the lights and city lights, but the track sucks. its 1 line follow the leader. i hope L.H can get that little biaaaatch massa at the start.

Stuttgart-UT 09-28-2008 10:49 AM

Lewis! 3.!!:wootrock:

Ferrrari :loser:

MB-BOB 09-28-2008 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Walla (Post 3075366)
beautiful track, much better than the dreary boring tracks we have been seeing.

Let's review...

Today's race -- IN THE DRY -- took 1:57:16 :eek: to finish, less than 3 minutes short of the 2-hour maximum. This included two short Safety Car periods. One should expect SC periods with concrete wall lined tracks. There are almost no runoff areas, hence no margin for driver error. And once the inevitable accidents occur, there are few and far between access gates through the barrier walls for marshals to remove trashed cars in a timely manner. Get used to seeing mutliple Safety Cars at Singapore.

All concerned said it was amazing today's race had no rain, as Singapore at this time of year is usually wet. Past history with temporary street courses under rain have shown that concrete walls do not allow breezes to dry out a wet racing circuit. Some of you don't like rules dictating the results of a race, but imagine future GPs here. Should a drop of rain fall on any future Singapore GP, it will have ZERO chance to finish under the 2-hour time limit in it's current 23-turn configuration.

David Hobbs says the turn 10 chicane is "ridiculous." I couldn't agree more. This chicane must be eliminated. The simple mid-speed left hander that results might raise lap speeds enough to permit a race to finish on time. Eliminate other corners while you are at it. A 3-mile course with 23 corners is too long/complicated to allow any passing... there was more action in pit lane today.:naughty:

The narrow tunnel running underneath the grandstands is ludicrous. Imagine fan debris falling (or being thrown) on the track, or worse, driving through two huge waterfalls every lap when it rains?

And speaking of racing in the rain. Nighttime lighting when dry appears to be fine, but when it rains, the plumes of water spray, trapped between the walls, will render the artificial light useless, either for driving or spectating. Expect red flags in most future Singapore GPs when it rains. :shakehead

F1 is eliminating European race venues that are "geographically too close together," to establish a worldwide footprint. Or that's the excuse to counter the argument that it's about money instead. Yet, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (an established track) are barely 196 miles apart, which paints the strategy as mildly hypocritical, at minimum.

BMWEATR 09-28-2008 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stuttgart-UT (Post 3076053)
Lewis! 3.!!:wootrock:

Ferrrari :loser:

x2

weird race but liked the outcome. I have a question?

MONACO under the lights????:eek: what do you guys think?

Gullwing 09-28-2008 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by MB-BOB (Post 3076095)
Let's review...

David Hobbs says the turn 10 chicane is "ridiculous." I couldn't agree more. This chicane must be eliminated. The simple mid-speed left hander that results might raise lap speeds enough to permit a race to finish on time. Eliminate other corners while you are at it. A 3-mile course with 23 corners is too long/complicated to allow any passing... there was more action in pit lane today.:naughty:

The narrow tunnel running underneath the grandstands is ludicrous. Imagine fan debris falling (or being thrown) on the track, or worse, driving through two huge waterfalls every lap when it rains?

And speaking of racing in the rain. Nighttime lighting when dry appears to be fine, but when it rains, the plumes of water spray, trapped between the walls, will render the artificial light useless, either for driving or spectating. Expect red flags in most future Singapore GPs when it rains. :shakehead

F1 is eliminating European race venues that are "geographically too close together," to establish a worldwide footprint. Or that's the excuse to counter the argument that it's about money instead. Yet, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur (an established track) are barely 196 miles apart, which paints the strategy as mildly hypocritical, at minimum.

Waterfalls would be cool, but I don't think the drivers would care for it, maybe while they are at it just add a small lake?
No visibility could make for a fun race.

Max and Bernie are just trying to make as much money as they can, if they could make more money having 8 races in Somalia they would do that.

Only on corner on the track allowed for passing I think, turn ten should be fixed.

hakaida442 09-28-2008 07:42 PM

FIArrari got what they deserved for the spa BS. Hammy will win the WDC.

Gullwing 09-29-2008 05:51 PM

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4...ingapurre4.jpg

Nola 09-29-2008 06:09 PM

Bob, you're crazy. This race was nothing short of amazing... plus The Donkey took it!

Fan debris? This is Singapore, not Indy! you can't even chew gum!

SeaCoupe 09-29-2008 06:38 PM

I thought it was great! Okay, bad of me to say, but this was Ferrari getting Karma's heavy handed B*tch slap.

While I don't want to ever see a driver or crewman hurt, I KNEW, it was over after the fuel hose incident.

Hamilton is showing fine execution with regard to an eye on the Driver's Championship.

Kova is becoming a point of disappointment to me. I want Pedro De La Rosa back!

Did it allude us all the now McLaren is in the lead for the Constructors Championship?! Come on now men, hoist a large one to the boys.

E

SeaCoupe 09-29-2008 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nola (Post 3078362)
Bob, you're crazy. This race was nothing short of amazing... plus The Donkey took it!

Fan debris? This is Singapore, not Indy! you can't even chew gum!

Having been to Singapore and Indy, I have to agree.

At Indy you park on peoples lawns for crying out loud. Somehow you rationalize giving your keys to a redneck with a tall boy wrapped in a koozie, your car. Then watch as he squeezes as many cars as he can on the lawn. Impressive but scary. Only place I have seen fans throw stuff on the track. However this was during the Michelin Debacle.

E

BMWEATR 09-29-2008 08:11 PM

singapore vid

gotta love youtube!

massa "eat it!" karma F-car fans! Karma is a mutha!

EdoubleNickel 09-29-2008 09:05 PM

Ferrari got was coming to them.

http://scouseknight.com/f1player.aspx

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

Nola 09-30-2008 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by emrliquidlife (Post 3078445)
However this was during the Michelin Debacle.

E

Hey, i was there that day too!

Saprissa 10-01-2008 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel (Post 3078761)
Ferrari got was coming to them.

E55,
that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw Kimi kissing the wall, and Massa pulling a tampon string !

Originally Posted by EdoubleNickel
http://scouseknight.com/f1player.aspx

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

now that's some funny ***** complete with the Benny Hill soundtrack !!!

must render a salute:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...7&d=1118101311

Saprissa 10-01-2008 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by emrliquidlife (Post 3078430)
Okay, bad of me to say, but this was Ferrari getting Karma's heavy handed B*tch slap.

nope, not bad to say !
Karma's always a B*tch and can't say Ferrari didn't have it coming to them !

Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Kova is becoming a point of disappointment to me. I want Pedro De La Rosa back!

It has always eluded me why Pedro De La Rosa didn't take over for Kimi, Coulthard, or Alonso when they left McLaren.
Pedro seemed to have faster lap times during testing and practices than all 3 of those on a regular basis. Sure it wasn't a race... but give the boy a chance !! He did fill-in for one race, I can't remember which, but I do remember he actually did pretty well.

Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Did it allude us all the now McLaren is in the lead for the Constructors Championship?! Come on now men, hoist a large one to the boys.

a Singapore :cheers: chin chin :cheers:

Carlos
:zoom:
Saprissa@aol.com

Saprissa 10-01-2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gullwing (Post 3078327)

now that is ridiculously funny :rolf: !

so much so... that I have to see it again...

:D

:rolf:

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...7&d=1222889779

:rolf:

Nola 10-02-2008 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by MB-BOB (Post 3076095)
Let's review...

Today's race -- IN THE DRY -- took 1:57:16 :eek: to finish, less than 3 minutes short of the 2-hour maximum. This included two short Safety Car periods. One should expect SC periods with concrete wall lined tracks. There are almost no runoff areas, hence no margin for driver error. And once the inevitable accidents occur, there are few and far between access gates through the barrier walls for marshals to remove trashed cars in a timely manner. Get used to seeing mutliple Safety Cars at Singapore.

All concerned said it was amazing today's race had no rain, as Singapore at this time of year is usually wet. Past history with temporary street courses under rain have shown that concrete walls do not allow breezes to dry out a wet racing circuit. Some of you don't like rules dictating the results of a race, but imagine future GPs here. Should a drop of rain fall on any future Singapore GP, it will have ZERO chance to finish under the 2-hour time limit in it's current 23-turn configuration.

I think they will simply run less laps next year to get this closer to 90 minutes.

tthoang1 10-02-2008 12:23 PM

I was in Singapore prior to the race and took some HD footage. Hope you enjoy. LH FTW!

http://www.vimeo.com/1836068

MB-BOB 10-02-2008 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nola (Post 3083736)
I think they will simply run less laps next year to get this closer to 90 minutes.

FIA sporting regulations require an F1 race of 300km racing distance plus one lap for formation (305km+). The length of each lap (in Singapore's case 4.99km/3.1 mi) is divided into the required distance to determine the number of laps that must be run. That's why Singapore was 61 laps.

Others:
Melbourne is 5.303km > 58 laps
Montreal is 4.361km > 70 laps
Silverstone is 5.141km > 60 laps
Valencia is 5.473km > 56 laps
Spa is 7.004km > 44 laps

etc.

All races measure 305km or more, except Monaco, which for some strange reason is allowed 260.5km (3.340km each lap X 78 laps). I guess it's "Grandfathered" because of tradition. Not sure that a brand new "modern" track should get equal consideration.