Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' CLS 500
MB Warranty Question

I am thinking of adding aftermarket springs and wheels to my 05' SLK 350. Will this void any warranty by MB or will the warranty still be intact. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
No, and yes. If the aftermarket item you installed on the car causes a part failure then that part is not warranted. The whole warranty is not voided. If you install new springs and the water pump breaks they will fix the water pump under warranty. Dealers often try to scare you away from aftermarket by making a blanket statement "it will void your warranty". Dealers also have a reputation for blaming aftermarket parts for non related failures....like you install window tint and the radio reception is poor, even though it was poor before the tint and the tint is non metalic.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also is they try to void a warranty claim because of an aftermarket part the burden of proof is on them in the USA anyway. We have a law here that clearly states that. They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. Just ask for it in writing with the dealer logo and signed off by the tech and the dealer management. That usually scares them enough to back off. A letter from you lawyer will work too. They never want to sign that letter unless they can clearly prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of the problem. If they are wrong they just opened themselves up to a major lawsuite by yourself and also the aftermarket part maker for slander.

P.S. You usually find out how good your dealer is one of these. DC on the domestic side is the worse at trying to do this all the time. Dealers try to void your entire warranty if you put a lift on your truck. I am sure DC is trying to push this great customer satisfaction program to MB somewhere along the line. I know own 2 DC products and they scare the hell out of me.
My Dodge truck deal has been excellent and is not one of the above mentioned problem dealers. I hope my MB dealer is the same. When I purchased my truck I asked other and was directed to my dealer. Do your home work on what dealer you use. A lot of Dodge dealers don't want to do warranty work because DC pays them much less then if it was a repair you had to pay for. My dealer sees it as free money waiting to be scoped up. If it wasn't covered under warranty they feel you would have a cheaper source handle the repair and they would see no money at all. Someone their is actually thinking. And they would like some repeat business in the future. Theres a concept! I do also believe if you start doing major engine modifications etc. you become your own warranty station at that point.