Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OM642 Timing Chain Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E350 CDI
OM642 Timing Chain Woes

I have recently had the dreaded two second chain rattle on my OM642 (E350 CDI) but after the two seconds it would run sweet as a nut. I did some reading figured it couldn't hurt to change the tensioner, so after making the trip in my wife's car to the local dealer, replaced the tensioner (the old one just fell to bits as soon as it came out so I presume it was knacked).

When I then tried to run the engine it initially wouldn't start but then sprang to life, this is when my issues started! It appears to be running on all cylinders however doesn't appear to be as smooth as it was although I can't really tell with the new noises, the chain now rattles all the way around and there is now a squeak at the front of the engine.

1. Could I have skipped a tooth by replacing the tensioner?

2. Could something have come loose around the chain causing it to loosen?

I can see the oil hole on the tensioner which I believe means the chain is no longer tight, I gather I will have to replace the chain but I see no point in doing the usual pull through method if a tooth has skipped or if something has dis-lodged inside. Have I missed something?

New Tensioner

Old Tensioner

Last edited by OJLane; 07-27-2020 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (07-28-2020)