Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W208 Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
W208 Gas Tank

Does anyone have manual pages / exploded view / removal instructions for the gas tank on a w208? Fuel guage is driving me nuts and I need to finally get around to chaging the fuel level sensors.

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Freddie
Does anyone have manual pages / exploded view / removal instructions for the gas tank on a w208? Fuel guage is driving me nuts and I need to finally get around to chaging the fuel level sensors.

Thank you.
You don't need to take out the whole gas tank to do this. There are 2 covers under the car by the gas tank that have three mounting screws each. Take these covers off to expose the fuel level sensors. The sensors have large lock rings holding the snesor into the tank-unfortunetly you need the MB special tool to unscrew the lock rings. Good luck!!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Thanks again Mercedestech1.

I know there have been a number of threads on CD/DVD shop manuals and there are at least three different versions on eBay right now. Do you have any personal experience with any of them? (My Alldatadiy subscription just doesn't cut it on most repairs....)
Old 04-01-2005, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Freddie - what are the symptoms of your fuel guage problem? My '00 430 CLK shuts down when ther's still actually 1/2 tank of fuel in the tank. No problems above 1/2 tank, after that it "runs out of gas."
Old 04-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Freddie
Thanks again Mercedestech1.

I know there have been a number of threads on CD/DVD shop manuals and there are at least three different versions on eBay right now. Do you have any personal experience with any of them? (My Alldatadiy subscription just doesn't cut it on most repairs....)
I've never used cd manuals. I work for a MB dealer and have acess to WIS.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
I pretty much thought that was the case! Thanks for the reply mercedestech1.

Lowphat - I have the typical guage inaccuracy that many others have reported. When tank is full, the guage drops to empty and the low fuel light comes on. As the tank drops to about 7/8th's, the fuel guage starts reading accurately again. No effect on gas flow though.

I think the left fuel level sending unit (there are two) contains a pump so you may have a completely defective unit.

Last edited by Freddie; 04-04-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:38 PM

mercedestech1 (or whoever will answer!)

Is this teh same WIS that's (sometimes) available on eBay for exampe? And is there any way to purchase the mb tool to remove the lock rings?

My fuel gauge issues just started. 2 nights ago, filled the tank (it was on empty - rare, but it happens). Fuel gauge for a bit still showed completely empty but no low fuel light on. Stopped car, restarted, and it went to full. Next day, gauge started dropping sharply (tank contents went from 16 down to about 14gal, then started going back up to 16.2 in the space of 30 min. Later, went up to 16.4, then pretty much stayed at 15.8. Bottom line? After about 130miles of driving after a refuel, it says I still have 15.8 gallons. Very wishful thinking. I'd like to try and do this myself it it's reasonable, but aren't sure.

As an aside, just about a week ago my BAS and ESP lights came on all the sudden (but not ABS). They remained on for the remainder of that drive (about 40min), but have never come on again. Is this the brake light switch as mentioned by others, or could it be related to the fuel thing? I'm a bit confused because the brake switch SEEMS to typically cause the ABS light to come on also, and it did not in my case.

Originally Posted by mercedestech1
I've never used cd manuals. I work for a MB dealer and have acess to WIS.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Make sure the Fuel tank is DRAINED before you remove the metal rings for the fuel level sending units ...using a MB tool to drain it... the tool screws into the fuel level sensor
Old 02-20-2006, 02:55 PM

you dont have to use a special tool they can be removed with a screwdriver and a hammer by gently tapping them around.