Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low voltage causes misfire and stubling on acceleration.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low voltage causes misfire and stubling on acceleration.

My 1996 S320 behaves strange.........when started ....works fine after a few stops at a light it starts to stumble and hesitate on accelaration it seems like it's misfiring 'cos the car is shaking when i press the gas. I took it to a dealer, they've scaned it and there were only a couple of codes, but they said they have to do some extensive testing to figure out what coused the fault codes to appear and it's gonna cost a lot of money............The code they said that might be causing the problem is "NO RECEIVE CURRENT FROM EIS" and "CONTROLLER HFM CURRENT N3/4 SUPPLY VOLTAGE TOO LOW"................basicaly they said that something is drawing a lot of power and my voltage is to low and that causes problem with egnition and fuel delivery and that's why it misfires and loses power...................Coil pak and wires have been checked .............95% sure they are fine. There is also a code for a faulty emission sensor............and electromagnetic clutch....................Any ideas guys...................???..........forgot to mention.............if you restart the car.........the problem disappears ............but comes back later.......and I have to restart the car agian. Also when it works fine and I floor it of the light it gives a big kick when it switches from 1st to 2nd gear, but it doesnt do it every time, it seems like if it was a standard and when you change the gears your rev it up and just throw the clutch it even spins the tires a little.....when you're driving at 50km an hour that's how strong the kick is.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Check

I would check the battery voltage. First without the vehicle running, then with the vehicle running.

Also check the alternator output and make sure it's functioning correctly.

It would be surprising that you have so much load that it is dropping the voltage that much. I would expect that you would have starting problems.