Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart key Programming

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 cl600
Smart key Programming

I recently lost a key to my cl600.

Had the dealer take the key out of the system and order me a new one. I was out of town with the car when they called so my wife picked up the key. They told her that programming it varies between 10 min and 5hrs. They said it would be easier to do it myself when I got home.

The procedure they gave her was to press the unlock button, press the lock button and insert the key into the ignition. The light on the key should go on. Somewhere between 10 min and 3hrs the light would go out. Then move the key to position 2 and the display should say "Computing data, please wait" again somwhere between 10min and 3hrs the message will stop and the key is programmed.

After I hit the lock then unlock buttons and inserted into the ignition the light on the key does not go on. I will be out of town with the car next week and do not have time to let the dealer program it. Does anyone know the correct procedure?

BTW the car also has keyless go - do this have something to do with the programming?
Old 06-05-2002, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
It's really quirky - some keys come programmed already (my reorder did) and some don't. I think you should take it to the dealer for two reasons:
1) They have the time and can do it while you're away (I didn't have to have my vehicle for the key to be programmed, unless it's different for pre '01E class)
2) Most important: if you lost one key, both keys should be reprogrammed - different from the original. they can reprogram one while you're away, and do the other when you get back.
Old 06-05-2002, 01:54 PM

2008 S550 4Matic P3, Pano, Distronic, Sport
On the same note...

Is there a way to clear programming on a key in order to be used on another car.

My '01 S500 was stolen and now I have a key that goes to nothing. Would like to use it on my new one. Dealer, I'm sure, would do it. But that would be too easy?

Gotta try and hack myself.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 cl600
Smart Key programming

I took it to the dealer - really had no choice.

But you have an interesting idea.
My wife has an 2002 E320 - can one key be programmed for two cars. These key are not small and would make them easier to carry?
Old 06-05-2002, 04:42 PM

I have already posted something about smart key programming a while ago (04-11-2002 ).
Here it is:
Originally posted by patrick
When a "smart key" - in Europe it is called a FBS3-key(fahrberechtigungssystem, 3rd generation) - needs to be ordered there are two possibilities. If you want an additional key (e.g. a fourth if you have three) than it must be ordered that way. An additional key works always immediately without programming. If a key is lost, a replacing key needs to be ordered. A replacing key always needs to be programmed. Because someone who finds your lost key could steal your car, this programming is in fact wiping all not used secret codes for that key that is lost. The time that is needed depends on how many combinations that need to be wiped (takes maximum 90 minutes). While waiting for that ordered key you can let your MB workshop block all codes for that key. For unblocking a special workshop key (green color) is needed.
If a key needs to be programmed and your car is a 220, 215, and so on, the key must not only be programmed to the EZS (electronic ignition switch module, where you put the key into), but also to the WHM (wahlhebelmodul, the device for changing the gears), so it takes twice as much time (maximum 2 times 90 minutes). When using the MB workshop computer you can program EZS and WHM at the same time.
for ordering (replacing) keys, the MB workshop must know which keys are lost. therefore the MB workshop computer is needed.
This is the reason why some workshops always order additional keys. This is pure luck. I you have already ordered additional keys and/or lost some keys it can be that they order the wrong keynumber (all keys have a number) and someone who finds your lost key can still steal your car.
(I do not know if I did that quoting right, maybe I should learn it sometime)
Keyless Go cards need another procedure and it takes even longer to program.
And another answer: you cannot use the same key for two different cars.
Patrick
(If some of you want, I will post a list with all models and the maximum time it takes to program a replacing (see above) smart key. Let me know.)
Old 06-05-2002, 05:34 PM

Answer for Nrosoff: did your dealer "block" that lost key?
Did they order the correct replacing key for the one that is lost?
Answer to Darkmann: when a key is lost, only the key that replaces that lost key must be programmed.
You can know if it is a key for your car when the remote locking system works (if this is proper English, I am not English-speaking), but then still not knowing if it is a replacing or additional key and which number (on the package there should be a number consisting of four figures starting with two zeros, the third figure not higher than eight and the fourth figure not higher than three)
If they did not need your car to program the new key, it means that they ordered an additional key. An additional key takes only one second to program (cannot be noticed). It means that the person who finds your lost key can steal your car, or your dealer must have blocked that key.
Even if they have a special computer to program the keys (see underneath), a replacing key must still wipe all unused secret codes in EZS meant for the key that it replaces ("programming" on the car).
Answer to MBfriend: an average MB-dealer cannot reprogram a key. Therefore a special computer is needed. In Belgium, only Mercedes Belgium itself has such a computer. They program keys for the dealers (all unprogrammed keys are just the same).
Maybe in the US some of the bigger dealers might have such a computer, but this is something I cannot know.
Patrick
Old 06-05-2002, 05:40 PM

Darkmann,
Sorry, the phrase: "You can know if it is a key for your car when..." was meant for Nrosoff. It should have been above the answer for you.
Patrick
Old 06-06-2002, 08:42 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 cl600
Thank you

I appreciate your help.

I like my cl600 and would not want to see it stolen, and I am sure MB wants a reputation that their cars are diffucult to steal - but does this process strike anybody as overly complex?
Old 06-06-2002, 02:28 PM

This system makes it possible that a key for your car is made immediatly, but it needs some time to program on the car.
As I mentioned before, all unprogrammed ("empty") keys are the same. It must be put in a programming station, program the data for your car and then it can be sent to the dealer who just has to program it on the car (I do not think that it is a good idea to let people do it themselves). If you want an extra key, it even works immediatly (programming on the car takes less than one second).
With ordinary keys, the mechanical...(I do not know how it is called in English) piece that you put into the lock must be made and takes several days at least.
Apart from this, when all prescriptions according to ordering and programming are followed, it is a very theft-safe system.
Patrick
Old 02-13-2006, 01:34 AM

Smart Key Programming

I think that the concept that "People shouldn't be able to program keys" is correct. However, Owners should be able to program keys for their own cars.
I just came to Miami from Washington DC, Friday about 8:00PM a lady tries to keep on going after stop in a hotel for a few hours rest. She was driving a 2002 C-320 as mine. She lost the "smart key". The nearest dealer was 100 miles away from the I-95 hotel.
You can blame her all you want but she owns the car and the car was totally useless without the key and only in the MB dealer 100 miles away she will be able to get a new key. In Miami, they charge ~$800 for a new key if you lost the "Smart Key", You will be facing at $1000 for losting the Smart Key in Miami and you don't have a car for a week.
I believe that the smart key gives you more trouble than it worth so I would like to explore the posibilty of replacing the smart key with a regular switch.

Does anyone esle know if this can be done?

Thank you in advanced, Wenseslaw
Old 02-13-2006, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
on late model cars (since 1999), you CANNOT replace it with a regular key. the Ignition switch is the heart of the vehicle. It has lots of variables programmed into it for various features of the car.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by wenseslaw
I think that the concept that "People shouldn't be able to program keys" is correct. However, Owners should be able to program keys for their own cars.
I just came to Miami from Washington DC, Friday about 8:00PM a lady tries to keep on going after stop in a hotel for a few hours rest. She was driving a 2002 C-320 as mine. She lost the "smart key". The nearest dealer was 100 miles away from the I-95 hotel.
You can blame her all you want but she owns the car and the car was totally useless without the key and only in the MB dealer 100 miles away she will be able to get a new key. In Miami, they charge ~$800 for a new key if you lost the "Smart Key", You will be facing at $1000 for losting the Smart Key in Miami and you don't have a car for a week.
I believe that the smart key gives you more trouble than it worth so I would like to explore the posibilty of replacing the smart key with a regular switch.

Does anyone esle know if this can be done?

Thank you in advanced, Wenseslaw
No.
Why would you want to bypass the smart key? If this lady didn't lose her key it wouldn't have been an inconvenience. If you dont want a smart key, dont buy a Mercedes. Are you kidding me with this question?