Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My AC stopped working when car was low on fuel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 308 Likes on 216 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
My AC stopped working when car was low on fuel

I have a 2001 S600 w/58K on the odometer. I was driving home this weekend when my AC just stopped working. The EC light stays on, and I can't get it to let the AC run. I took it to a shop today and had the pressure checked. He said there was plenty R-134 in the system. He also didn't see any signs of leaks. This was done at one of the most reputable AC shops in Seattle. There are also no codes showing in the DTC. I had it checked by a mechanic already.

I know the car goes into EC mode when it runs low on fuel. I believe that's what happened to me; I wanted to get gas at a station I have an account with, so I let it run a little more than halfway down the reserve section. I read int he manual that the Climate Control goes into EC mode to conserve fuel, btu I thought it would reset iftself automatically. What else could I have done to cause this?

How do I get the AC to reset? Is there a trick that I couldn't find in the manual? I have an appointment at the Dealership, but I really don't want to have to pay for the dealer to service this, unless I have to.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
It has nothing to do with your fuel level. Something is not working properly. If the system is charged, it could be a bad pressure switch or relay. You probably need to take it to the dealer to properly diagnose.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63 AMG S
could always be the actual clutch for it or sometimes a short in your compressor things like shorts some wiring problems and could cause it to try to "conserve" energy. did it still blow air?? or if at all did it seem not cold at all.....