Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did the dealer Sabatoge my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Cl 500
did the dealer Sabatoge my car?

ok, so i took my car in a month and a half ago or so for a oil change, and while their they did the campain on the recall for the ABC system hose. after leaving, i notice a leak while parked in my friends all white drive way, and took it rigth back. they said that teh leak is from a seperate seal that they did not touch. well now they wanted 900 and some change to do teh work, so i opeted to do it my self at my local mechanic.

60 bucks later, seal is fixed, air is just about all out. problem is, upon looking at the seals, i noticed that their is no way something like the following could happen without someone tampering with it first.

can i get your own opinions?

thank you

ALi
Old 11-03-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
so no one wanna even COMMENT ON THE RINGS

ALi
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
My guess is the seal was not installed correctly/pinched, slightly leaking, and someone tightened it to stop the leak and it broke. Could have been the mechanic who did the recall work and they were just doing diligence while working on your car. I am always skeptical when something like this happens after a car has been worked on....by anyone. I also doubt it was done on purpose or with the knowledge that they did something wrong.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
man it just sucks, but i think the dealer really does blow, they had my car for 2 weeks waiting to do teh repair, now that i have it back, the repai on my door's vacume seal is working but i can hear alot of road noice while driving. why is that?

ALi
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 PM

the service done at the dealer is only as good as the mechanic working on your vehicle. If you end up with a good mechanic the work done is flawless. other times.. well you see what happens.
Usually, the service advisers work with a specific set of mechanics. What I've done is to stick to one service advisor who was friendly and co-operative, and the next time i go in for service, I ask for him/her specifically. That way even if the mechanic doesn't do a good job, i simply call up the service adviser and get the problem resolved.
Service advisers are people as well. some are friendly some less. so go meet them and get a good feel before you leave your car for service next time
Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by benz300
the service done at the dealer is only as good as the mechanic working on your vehicle. If you end up with a good mechanic the work done is flawless. other times.. well you see what happens.
Usually, the service advisers work with a specific set of mechanics. What I've done is to stick to one service advisor who was friendly and co-operative, and the next time i go in for service, I ask for him/her specifically. That way even if the mechanic doesn't do a good job, i simply call up the service adviser and get the problem resolved.
Service advisers are people as well. some are friendly some less. so go meet them and get a good feel before you leave your car for service next time

i know what u mean, my dude is GREAT his names Joe and he is a great dude, over worked but always helpfull. but this other Ars who keeps trying to help me, chris, is just a non-co-operative guy who just dose not care, tells me this this and this, and this is how much u have to pay, have a nice day!

i guess i'll just have to wait till monday when i have my door taken care of again to see what heppens then

ALi
Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Could be that the damage to the seal which is quite evident could have been done by the tech that removed it from your vehicle. That does not mean he caused the leak but in the course of removing the seal from its groove with a sharp tool this sometimes happens as the seals do become brittle after being in use for a while. The photos mean nothing at all with regards to your claim of sabotage which I highly doubt.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:13 PM

2003 SL500 Sport
That's quite a jagged edge... if it we're sabotaged, wouldn't it be a cleaner cut? That seal looks like it's been gnawed at over a longer period of time. A Sabotager wouldn't slowly wittle it across a large surface area, he would have snipped it with scissors or some other sharp tool.... Just thought I throw in my two cents after seeing your pics!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
well, i just talked to a couple of mercedes techs and one porsche tech, they all agreed that it was not something that happend due to its own mechanisim, because once the seal is in, its in. they said that it occur's during improper refitting, so when someone took it off and put it on incorrectly, it wore off like that, and when i purchased the car, my mechanic inspected it and didnt see a single leak except my windsheild washer resevour.

this leak happened after they did the ABC recal on my car. now what?

ALi
Old 11-10-2007, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 133 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by goliath27
....this leak happened after they did the ABC recal on my car. now what?
Since your car is already fixed what is there to do? What is the seal for? Is it part of the ABC system? If it is, I would find another dealer.