Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S430, E500, C55 - can be serviced by owner?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
S430, E500, C55 - can be serviced by owner?

Hello Benz enthusiasts!

I'm interested in the 2004-2005 S430, E500, or C55 models - (hard to make up my mind)! From my readings, it seems most recommend bying a CPO and taking an ext. warranty.

I own 2 20 yr. old Supras and a '02 6spd. Maxima. I enjoy working on my cars. (most of the time, I'm modding them rather than repairing). The Supras are easy to work on (awesome online forum with great guys onboard. The Supra has a straight 6 IC turbocharged engine, and is relatively easy to work on. I've changed plugs, installed bigger turbos, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, brakes, etc). Bec. the Supras are so old (1987-1989), if I get a CEL, I install a paper clip into my diagnostic box, and I can then count the # of times my ck. engine light flashes to determine what code I'm getting). Great stuff! The Max is an '02 model which has given no probs. at all so far. But it too is a user friendly car. OBDII based, so pulling codes simply requires a scanner. I am however, looking into trading the Max for one of the Benz models mentioned above. Simply put, Benz are world class cars, and one should own one at least once. BUT I refuse to take a car to the dealer.

My question is, how "user friendly" are the models I listed above?

1) I've heard Benz's need to be taken to the dealer to pull codes and have specific dealer electronics "talk" to the car. IS this true? Or are the models I mentioned above OBDII, and all one needs is a scanner to decipher codes?

2) I remember reading Benz does offer a factory service manual online for a fee so I imagine if we can pull codes ourselves, then we can determine the problem using the manual to find out the code.

3) Cars are cars right? Isn't a brake job on a Benz the same as a brake job on any other car with discs on all wheels? How about an oil change? (I've noticed what seems to be an oil filter ON TOP of the engine in a Benz).

4) I thoroughly enjoy working on cars myself. I know I do a better job than the dealer, and I'm saving money. But do these cars HAVE to go to the dealer for service? I've heard of "service A" and "service B" maint. required. Can that be service by performed by the owner, and reset the light so no more "service A needed" sign comes on?

Thank you for any help! Its my first post, and I apologize for the lengthy writeup.

GNMA
Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Oil change, brake jobs, air cleaner, transmission change are all user friendly.
I would avoid buying the car with the SBC braking system. You can tell if it has the conventional vac. booster vs. the electric pump.

Problems with injection, etc might require going to the dealer. I bought a CPO w/ 9000 miles and now have 70,000 miles. The dealer has done the free service for the first 50,000 miles. I do oil change, brakes. You will have to buy the service manual from MB on CD which was not available when I bought my E500. The part # is P-2700-211-06 1-800-for-mercedes. Cost about $75 if I remember.

Warranty work of course is dealer. Tires,, Keep michelins on it as factory built. I have tried others and they don't do as well, wear, noise etc.

I would not pay for the "star trek" com to MB. They gave me very poor service when we were rearended during Katrina evacuation. Just my experience only. You can search on forum for how others view it.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Thanks for your help vettdvr.