Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 S600- Oil Leak- Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S600
2002 S600- Oil Leak- Help

I've recently purchased a 2002 S600 Mercedes. After having the car for a month, the car started leaking oil from the back of the engine. My mechanic has verified that the leak is definitely oil and that it's coming from the back of the engine. Based on some of the forums I've read, it most likely caused by a leak from the Rear Main Seal or the Oil Cooler (The leak doesn't appear to be the ABC hose, which is also common on this car. I'm looking for a Mercedes Mechanic in the South Orange County, Ca area, who is familiar with this car and is willing to take on this job. Because of the placement of the Oil Cooler, this job will require removal of the heads. If interested or if you have any suggestions, please contact me.
Thanks,
Bob
949-370-5495
Old 02-06-2008, 01:17 PM

'07 BMW e92 335i, '07 MB E350
220s have a rear main problem and like you said an oil cooler problem

either way its pricey.

i work at santa monica mercedes...if youre willing to bring it here, one of our advisors will take care of you
Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by simsy32
I've recently purchased a 2002 S600 Mercedes. After having the car for a month, the car started leaking oil from the back of the engine. My mechanic has verified that the leak is definitely oil and that it's coming from the back of the engine. Based on some of the forums I've read, it most likely caused by a leak from the Rear Main Seal or the Oil Cooler (The leak doesn't appear to be the ABC hose, which is also common on this car. I'm looking for a Mercedes Mechanic in the South Orange County, Ca area, who is familiar with this car and is willing to take on this job. Because of the placement of the Oil Cooler, this job will require removal of the heads. If interested or if you have any suggestions, please contact me.
Thanks,
Bob
949-370-5495
I Have Several friends that are MB Techs and do work on the side

Pm Me if Interested
The following users liked this post:
DUNEY (04-07-2021)
Old 02-14-2008, 06:40 PM

2002 S600
Thank you very much for the reply guys. On a friends recommendation, I've taken the car to shop around the corner called "German Imports" in San Juan Capistrano. The owner, "Stefan" has been working on Mercedes for over 22 years. I told him about the information posted on the net regarding this car and was extremely knowledgeable with this vehicle. To make a long story short, the problems associated with this car are very consistent. After taking off the heads, it was detected that the Oil Cooler was one of the problems. The second problem was the ABC hose leaking. Although, I haven't been quoted, it obvious that these are both major jobs. The good news is that he's very confident that these issue will be resolved and based on the condition of the heads, valves, etc., the engine and car look like they are in great condition. Any further recommendation or suggestions for Stefan would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-16-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Make shure to replace you plugs while they are in there!
How much money do you have and have the ignintion coil packs been replaced?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 PM

2002 S600
Thanks again Bryan. Any ideas how much the Ignition Coil parts will cost? Do you have any suggestions regarding the ABC. I've asked my mechanic if there's any way we can insulate the new hose better so that the susceptible part of the hose (the part which gets brittle from the heat of the engine) doesn't become a problem again.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:53 PM

2002 S600
Sorry, one more thing. It sounds like this Oil Cooler problem could possibly happen again. My Mechanic showed me the original O Rings and they were so hard that they snapped. Is there any harm with adding some Mercedes Certified sealer around these areas?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:53 PM

I would just have them put more heat shielding around the hose. As far as a sealant with the o-rings I'm not shure, probably would not hurt. The coil packs run about $1000.00 a side.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 PM

2002 S600
S600

Help!!! Look for some additional info. I've had the Oil Cooler and ABC hose replaced and the car is driving great, but I'm still having a problem with the hydraulic system. I'm taking the car back to the shop tomorrow to check, but for whatever reason, once the car is been running for a while (over a half hour) it starts releveling itself. I'll be driving and the front right, back left, back right, etc. will drastically (borderline dangerous) drop or lift. Has anyone ever heard of this problem. If so, what are some things we should be checking. I'm thinking that maybe the system has to be blead or the hydraulic systems computer is getting hot and shorting out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Bob
Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Help!!! Look for some additional info. I've had the Oil Cooler and ABC hose replaced and the car is driving great, but I'm still having a problem with the hydraulic system. I'm taking the car back to the shop tomorrow to check, but for whatever reason, once the car is been running for a while (over a half hour) it starts releveling itself. I'll be driving and the front right, back left, back right, etc. will drastically (borderline dangerous) drop or lift. Has anyone ever heard of this problem. If so, what are some things we should be checking. I'm thinking that maybe the system has to be blead or the hydraulic systems computer is getting hot and shorting out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Bob
Sounds like they messed something up when they opened the ABC system. Have the car towed to them. It sounds like it's in rodeo mode, which is a program to seat the ABC valves. That wouldn't be cool.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:07 AM

Thanks again,
Bob
There is a DTB out for rear I think the rear level sensor messing up and causing your car to "buck".
Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E350 ,
abc

sounds like body acceleration sensors are faulty ,this happens alot to sl cars ,the dealer has a dtb for this erratic ride hight at different axles ,you have to get codes to properly diag this ,the parts are on each front strut tower and in the rear hatshelf area ,they have a plug on top ,hope this helps
Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by tcesario
sounds like body acceleration sensors are faulty ,this happens alot to sl cars ,the dealer has a dtb for this erratic ride hight at different axles ,you have to get codes to properly diag this ,the parts are on each front strut tower and in the rear hatshelf area ,they have a plug on top ,hope this helps

That is waht I was thinking of!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:17 PM

2002 S600
Rear Climate Control problem

I'm having a slight problem with the Rear (Back Seat) Climate Control. With the temp set to the coldest setting on both side, the left side is coming out with the right temp but the right side always comes out very hot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks