Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ambient air temp sensor harness- how to replace?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
good info.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes benz c250
i have a 2014 mercedes c250 it was in a accident the compressor wasn't working i took it to a shop they said i needed a ambient sensor i got it but i cant find where the harness is for it can anyone help
Old 08-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes Benz E 55 AMG
ambient temperature sensor on '05 E55 AMG

If anyone out there is like me , to where there was no trace of the wires for the sensor than maybe I can save you all the hours I spent figuring out how to run new wiring so here it is ... This info is for the 2005 E55 AMG , might work for other models but not sure. So I had to figure out where the M4 connector was to run 2 wires back down to where the ambient temperature sensor was supposed to be, I had a friend who works for mercedes send me the wiring diagram including the wire colors ( see first pic) so i had to find the M4 connector which is located under the front sam unit on the left bottom i circled it i the pictures and cut the #3( gray and brown) & #4 wires(Gray & Yellow) and solder 2 new wires and run it back down to the driver side foglight where the ambient sensor location is in the mesh grille.Since my sensor + harness in my car were gone then I had to also find somewhere to buy them and connect them the wires i was about to run down from the sam. I couldn't find the harness for my car new but if you look on ebay you will find people who sell the sensor used and at times they plug and wires are still connected to it, so that's what i did , bought the sensor with connector and a few inches of the wires attatch to it, just enough to solder back on to my new wiring. the front sam is easy to remove, in fact you don't have to remove the whole thing just unplug 3 or 4 connectors on top that are in the way then unscrew two torx in front of sam( second pic i marked with a red marker where screws are) and unclip it from the back (same pic where i drew the arrow),Then slowly and carefully pull it out a couple of inches so that will give you just enough room to unclip connector M4 from the SAM then cut the #3 gray and yellow wire and #4 gray and brown wire and either solder or use connectors or whichever you preffer ,new wires.

Last edited by MR E55 AMG; 08-15-2018 at 04:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MR E55 AMG:
bbirdwell (08-16-2018), biker349 (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 W212 E350, 2012 W204 C250 sport
Ambient air temp harness

Originally Posted by Diamond White W212
If you think pics will help, here they are.
The first one is the bare wire where the sensor used to be attached. There are 2 seperate smaller wires wrapped in a protective tape
The 2nd pictue is all of the parts the dealer said it would take to repair. One end of the harness clearly plugs into the actual sensor, the other end is also a plug. I also don't know what to do with the two smaller things next to the harness.
Thanks
2012 C250 yeah mine is ripped off as well and cannot find the harness it plugs into. I disassembled the driver side light assembly trying to locate it. No luck. Frustrated! I can’t even find the wire it was ripped from only DRL and side marker harness looked everywhere from bumper support, horn, radiator supports etc.

Last edited by Scott Takai; 02-14-2022 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Adding year make model
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (02-14-2022)