Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough starting and running?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Rough starting and running?

Blame it on bad gas up and down the East Coast. I spoke to a friend who is a service manager at a quality Asian new car dealership. He told me he has replaced "many" fuel injectors and fuel system components since early June.

The problem seems to be state wide.Local Tv had a story on it.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...rticle-8193935

My buddy said the major brand affected was Sunoco and all the people who had the problems used this gas. When I Went to PA over Memorial Day, the best brand I could find near New Hope PA was Sunoco, half tank of 91 and this is when my problems started. Engine chugged, hard start, etc.

I got a check engine light, code for misfire bank 3, switched coil packs with 1, the wires are different, swapped wires as required, checked a random (new) plug as fine, buttoned everything up . Better but not great so i Dumped Techron in the tank, filled up with Shell93 and repeated same. Now car purrs!

If your MB or AMG is having problems starting chugging misfiring and so on look to the gas line and system. How many spark, fuel, and other systems may have been compromised or unnecessarily replaced? May I suggest starting with bad gas therapy first, then do some component swapping, and replace expensive components last?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 Miata
Good info you got there! my car seems to be misfiring but no CELS. Changed spark plugs with no success. I'm gonna go with the fuel system cleaner