Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering or Drive Shaft issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK320
Power Steering or Drive Shaft issue?

Many of you have been helpful in providing me with possible solutions to an ongoing steering vibration issue that I have been working through with my '01 SLK320 (18.5k miles). Multiple wheel balancings (including Hunter) have not resolved the problem. The dealer also replaced both front tires b/c they were out of round. Finally, the dealer also replaced the engine mounts. Although the new mounts eliminated vibration that I felt through the automatic shift knob at idle, it has not had an impact on wheel vibration. My dealer has suggested that there is nothing left to check. However, based on input from many of you, I think I should insist the dealer take a look at bushings (shock, and steering).

As I have increasingly noticed wheel vibration at idle as well as while moving, I wonder if perhaps the vibration has something to do with the power steering system. Might the belt that drives the system somehow be misaligned? Perhaps the steering pump itself is faulty? Or, might it have something to do with the drive shaft?

I am due for a dealer visit in approx 1,500 miles for regular service, and hope to get this issue resolved (finally!) at that visit. Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-13-2003, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK320
clarification

I should clarify......when I refer to "wheel", I mean "steering wheel."