MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   Mercedes Tech Talk (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk-41/)
-   -   oil filter spindle shaft broken (https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-tech-talk/438349-oil-filter-spindle-shaft-broken.html)

zahid7863 03-09-2012 10:06 AM

oil filter spindle shaft broken

I accidentally broke the oil filter spindle shaft/ Oil Filter holder. Can I continue driving my car, or does it need to be replaced. it would cost the equivalent of $50 in South Africa.

Please advise as soon as possible.

Thank much appreciated.:smash:

Ausmbtech 03-11-2012 08:54 AM

You'll need to change it, If you manage to "fix" it and it breaks whilst driving (and this time you won't know) you'll have no or low oil pressure. Just change it.

Mai Furu 06-03-2018 07:02 AM

My mechanic broke my oil filter spindle, but said nothing

After getting my car (2010 C-200) back from an oil change, it made quite a racket when I was decelerating (down a slope or slowing for traffic) like a bolt was loose or the timing chain was coming off the sprockets. CEL light came on. I feared the worst after reading about how many M271 engines have the timing chain issues. The ODB scanner says fault P0011 - "advanced timing bank 1 intake". I took it back to the mechanic who kept it for two weeks, claiming he didnt hear anything and the CEL cleared itself. But after swapping out sensors and magnets (DIY) with no improvement, I decided to check the oil filter and its seals. Drained the oil, opened the oil filter housing and it was in two pieces. I'm hoping that none of the plastic bits went into the engine. Seems the mechanic didnt use a torque wrench, or ?, or do these things just get brittle and break after 8 years? Ordered a new one for US$35 via ebay. Hoping this is the only problem.

I live in the sticks in Japan, and the dealer is 2 hours away, so I tend to use local mechanics which are usually good. Will update. Will fix DIY.

Originally Posted by zahid7863 (Post 5093990)
I accidentally broke the oil filter spindle shaft/ Oil Filter holder. Can I continue driving my car, or does it need to be replaced. it would cost the equivalent of $50 in South Africa.

Please advise as soon as possible.

Thank much appreciated.:smash:

biker349 06-03-2018 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mai Furu (Post 7469163)
After getting my car (2010 C-200) back from an oil change, it made quite a racket when I was decelerating (down a slope or slowing for traffic) like a bolt was loose or the timing chain was coming off the sprockets. CEL light came on. I feared the worst after reading about how many M271 engines have the timing chain issues. The ODB scanner says fault P0011 - "advanced timing bank 1 intake". I took it back to the mechanic who kept it for two weeks, claiming he didnt hear anything and the CEL cleared itself. But after swapping out sensors and magnets (DIY) with no improvement, I decided to check the oil filter and its seals. Drained the oil, opened the oil filter housing and it was in two pieces. I'm hoping that none of the plastic bits went into the engine. Seems the mechanic didnt use a torque wrench, or ?, or do these things just get brittle and break after 8 years? Ordered a new one for US$35 via ebay. Hoping this is the only problem.

I live in the sticks in Japan, and the dealer is 2 hours away, so I tend to use local mechanics which are usually good. Will update. Will fix DIY.

do you have the ebay listing for the part?

campeau 06-14-2018 07:06 AM

w204 oil filter housing on ebay

I would search "w204 oil filter housing" on ebay. I bought one from a Hong Kong vendor, and it was the identical part and came in MB packaging. It came with o-rings, but I swapped them with the ones that came with the filter which were beefier. Free shipping took 10 days. It works and all is good now! The fault codes P0011 and P0014 have not returned. I will change my own oil from now on.

Originally Posted by biker349 (Post 7469324)
do you have the ebay listing for the part?